Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Fountain Pen repair

Doublegun

Practically Family
I have a very nice vintage Lifetime Balance that is a very "wet" writer. I have been looking for someone who specializes in repairing Sheaffer FP's. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,

JDG

Doublegun

Practically Family
Thanks, Mike. Feeling pretty dumb - don't know why I didn't think of the FPH in the first place. It's not like I haven't done business with them in the past.

Cheers,

JDG

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
In theory, you should be able to return it to Sheaffer for a tune up. In practice, I don't think they are still capable. It might be worth a shot though, never hurts to ask.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Some of my Sheaffers run wet, it's just the nature of some of the nibs, and your ink combination. I found that the Feathertouch nibs on a lot of my pens run pretty nicely with Noodler's ink, however my Esterbrook, with steel 2668, nib runs wet with the same ink. The Esterbrook nib was new in the box when I put it on the pen, so it is just inherently wet with this kind of ink.

I work on most models of fountain pen, which consists of deep cleaning, new sac and seals (gaskets on Touchdown and Snorkel), and do some minor nib polishing work. Feed work you'd have to take to one of the website folks, I have very little experience with it. Call them discuss first though, as they may need to try out another nib and feed in your pen.

Best of luck, let me know if I can help.

-Max

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If it's a simple matter of adjusting ink-flow, you can easily do that yourself. Just pinch the tines of the nib together to close the gap and make it write drier. The consequence is inky fingers, but it does work. I've done it many times myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko