Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage German suit on Ebay for cheap

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
But this is the first time that I see what appears to be an upside-down pocket flap.

it looks like a flap but the sides are sewn down. it's made like a chest welt-pocket, just shaped differently. Qirrel explained this type of flap better than me on another thread (i think in 'Gents, show us what you've made'). never seen it on vintage Brit trousers yet.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
check out these trouser details:

curved tab extension:

p1030199.jpg

topstitched pleasts:

p1030200.jpg

long topstitched darts:

p1030202.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Yes, there's quite a lot to marvel at. I've saved a good many of the photos in my archive (and used the opportunity to properly reorganize it).

Those extender tabs for the suspender buttons look huge (really wide belt loops, too)

p1030278.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There are a couple there that I might squeeze into . . . very tantalizing. But the good ones are definitely not cheap. However I do think the prices they're asking are fair.
Marc: Could you comment on the fabrics? They seem VERY heavy and solid. And they have slightly different stripey patterns than you might see in the US. I had a friend who made frequent trips to Germany and had a number of pairs of trousers made there. Very interesting fabrics, with interesting combinations of colors in the patterns. They all looked like they were designed for a cold climate.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Marc: Could you comment on the fabrics? They seem VERY heavy and solid. And they have slightly different stripey patterns than you might see in the US. I had a friend who made frequent trips to Germany and had a number of pairs of trousers made there. Very interesting fabrics, with interesting combinations of colors in the patterns. They all looked like they were designed for a cold climate.

Practically all of the vintage German suits I've seen were ones recently exported to Chile for the used clothing stores there. You're right: with few exceptions, the fabrics were heavy, dense, and a bit scratchy. The exceptions were the black suits, which tended to be made of wool that was either flannel-like (soft but dense and crisp), or similar to thick, heavy, drapey gabardine.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have just checked their site and, no surprise, lots of the cheap black 30s/40s suits seem to have already sold. Mind you, I was shocked to see that last week they were selling original 1930s suits for 39 Euros. Now they have added some rather standard looking 1960s shawl collar dinner suits at 69 Euros - and, guess what, they are advertising the sixties dinner suits with the inevitable keywords "Mad Men".

cinetex

New in Town
Hello to all Fedora Lounge members!
We, Bjorn and Marcus, are the guys that placed several “cheap” black german suits on Ebay Germany and GB and a few more colorful items on Ebay GB.
Yesterday we took a look at this amazing forum for the first time, after a lounge member had told us several times about it.
We have read several hours last night and were very excited about this blast of information – we think this forum must be highly addictive for all retro froms!
Also interesting was, to read several comments about us.
Perhaps it might be a good idea to explain what we do.

When in November 1989 hipsters in Western Germany wore chopped frock coats and mutilated leather ulsters, the german wall fell and gave us ten years of vintage Eldorado.
The most exciting things appeared on markets; furniture, motorcycles & cars, 78records – and vintage clothing.
Ask any german junk dealer, the general opinion was that glory would never end.
We were deep into swing music and 30s clothing and collected all through the 90s, on fleamarkets, house cleaning companies, private newspaper adds, social welfare station and rug yards.
Our thing was men’s wear from the 1930s to 70s
The idea was to open up a shop only for vintage men’s wear some day, but this most probably wouldn’t have worked out.
We stopped collecting vintage about 1999, when it was obvious, that only 60s and 70s could be found any more.
In 2000 we sold about half of our collection (which was not the smartest idea…..) and put the rest in storage at a barn at Marcus’ parents estate, where was lots of space, fortunately.
Ten years later, having families and kids, we started to cash in the rest.
Within the last two years we have provided most major costume companies in Europe with new stock, also theaters and a few movie productions.
Beginning of this year we also started to list items on Ebay.
Some Fedora Lounge members wrote that our articles are too cheap or too expensive; we do not really understand that.
Why shouldn’t a 30s suit in an almost unusable size be sold for 39,--Euros as well as the 1920s suit in an excellent size and condition for 750,--BPD?
Besides selling the articles we are interested in arousing attention among professional costume people all over the world.
95% of our cinetex business are late 50s to mid 70s items.
This material is also great but just not approbiate to reach the right people.

We are very happy to have a chance to tell you all that about us, you might understand, that it is quite funny to read other peoples comments and conjectures about yourself…….

YES we will do some more Ebay listings from time to time in the future, but NO, there won’t be any surprises like white 30s suits for 7’-8’ people, Knickerbocker sports suits with double belt and two flatcaps, the suit of your favorite german UFA actor…..it’s all bread & butter!

Gene

Practically Family
So the black suit in the original post is 21" pit to pit and 36" waist? I'm not sure if bundweite means a flat waist measurement.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
... as well as the 1920s suit in an excellent size and condition for 750,--BPD?

hi gents, absolutely nothing wrong with pricing a suit at any price you personally think it's worth. my questioning of your higher prices is simply down to weighing them against the prices that other suits are going for (and i've been watching suits sell on ebay uk every day for almost ten years). i think something like a stain on a lapel or visible repairs roughly halves the potential value of a suit (the £750 knicker suit) or the fact that a suit is rather plain and doesn't have a belted back means you probably won't get £700 for it (the 1920s one), but good for you if do manage to sell them at that price. also, you might want to consider placing them on ebay.com as they get more traffic from the rest of the world than ebay.uk.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are my theories:

-Often the black jackets were part of a sunday suit (for semi formal occasions in the afternoon and early evening) and didn't wear out so fast. I imagine it was like the poor mans black tie.
-Rules are different in the Uk and many people follow them
-They are less sought after by collectors. So you get them cheaper

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35641-Black-Suit/page13

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't pass up on them alltogether. Often they have good fit and are very well made.
But of course one or two black suits or jackets are enough

Erich Johann

New in Town
I just recently watched Es geschah am hellichten Tag (1958) - lots of double-breasted black suits in a farewell dinner scene ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21