Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Ladies,

I know we try our best to get the real deal whether from hunting on eBay or even making our own clothes based on vintage patterns. But sometimes, you just need something NOW.

My favorite vintage-inspired retail store, Manifesto in SF, just closed its doors. A touch on the spendy side, but just SO worth it! And I liked supporting local designers. You can check out their old Website at www.manifestoclothing.com. RIP!

Does anyone have a favorite store/Website that specializes in vintage clothing?

www.StopStaringclothing.com is wonderful of course.

And I just found another called Red Dress boutique (http://www.reddressshoppe.com/index.html)

decodoll

Practically Family
I don't buy too much repro, but there are quite a few cute things at Revamp that I wouldn't mind owning. :) There is also Our Dancing Daughters. I believe Manifesto's website has reopened, but the store is still closed. The site says that starting in 2006, Manifesto will be run by just one of the original partners.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Dottie said:
Ladies,

I know we try our best to get the real deal whether from hunting on eBay or even making our own clothes based on vintage patterns. But sometimes, you just need something NOW.

My favorite vintage-inspired retail store, Manifesto in SF, just closed its doors. A touch on the spendy side, but just SO worth it! And I liked supporting local designers. You can check out their old Website at www.manifestoclothing.com. RIP!

Does anyone have a favorite store/Website that specializes in vintage clothing?

www.StopStaringclothing.com is wonderful of course.

And I just found another called Red Dress boutique (http://www.reddressshoppe.com/index.html)

HEy there MD,

For the most part, most of my vintage clothes are vintage inspired, or modern conservative (youd be surprised how well that can be pulled off). If you are looking for some cute vintage finds, there is a cute costume shoppe on Hyde and California here in the citay. I got some super cute things there and the owner is nice. They also have a lot of vintage repo, like 20s hats and such.

But for the most part, I make my items. Most vintage today isnt in my size so I use a vintage pattern and go nuts :D A lot of ladies here sew as well. And thrift stores are always great. Im sure youve been to THrift Town on Market st, and the THrift store/ costume shop there as well, right?!

As far as accessories go, I forgo eBay (we have a history) and go to rubylane.com. IIve gotten some nice things there.

SF is a great place to find stuff. Living here give you a pretty good advantage, but you gotta hurry before it get picked through.

Good luch,
LD

ITG

Call Me a Cab
This looks like it will be a very informative thread, so I'm going to sticky it. We have one thread for actual places to find real vintage, but not one for reproduction clothing. If you have recommendations for vintage inspired clothing lines (not actual vintage-there's another thread for that), please post them here and keep posts on topic. I love the some of these websites y'all have posted so far. Keep it coming!

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
There is also http://www.trashydiva.com/ A lot of their dresses are very 30's-50's inspired. Although a lot of clothing there tends to be on the more expensive side, if you wait for them to go on sale or clearance they are often very discounted.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
VintageJess said:
Dottie,

You might want to check out the "Vintage Clothes--Where to Find Them" sticky at the top of the Powder Room.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2791

There are some great repro sites posted there as well.

Happy Hunting!

Here are some other reproduction sites that were mentioned in the thread above. I don't think anyone has mentioned these yet, so I thought I would bring them over for ease of research...

www.mybabyjo.com
www.reprovintageclothing.com
www.daddyos.com

Jessica

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
HEy there MD,

For the most part, most of my vintage clothes are vintage inspired, or modern conservative (youd be surprised how well that can be pulled off). If you are looking for some cute vintage finds, there is a cute costume shoppe on Hyde and California here in the citay. I got some super cute things there and the owner is nice. They also have a lot of vintage repo, like 20s hats and such.

But for the most part, I make my items. Most vintage today isnt in my size so I use a vintage pattern and go nuts :D A lot of ladies here sew as well. And thrift stores are always great. Im sure youve been to THrift Town on Market st, and the THrift store/ costume shop there as well, right?!

As far as accessories go, I forgo eBay (we have a history) and go to rubylane.com. IIve gotten some nice things there.

SF is a great place to find stuff. Living here give you a pretty good advantage, but you gotta hurry before it get picked through.

Good luch,
LD

I just went to that place on California and Hyde and came up with some really nice vintage dresses from the 40s. The owner Spig certainly does a girl right!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
decodoll said:
I don't buy too much repro, but there are quite a few cute things at Revamp that I wouldn't mind owning. :) There is also Our Dancing Daughters. I believe Manifesto's website has reopened, but the store is still closed. The site says that starting in 2006, Manifesto will be run by just one of the original partners.

DecoDoll--

After I put up this post I went to the Manifesto site and was delighted to see that the line is still going, so I'm headed over to Mac this week to see if I can find a nice sun dress for this party I'm going to in Colorado. I'm so glad Suzanne is still keeping the dream alive!

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
I don't think I seen anyone mention http://www.whirlingturban.com They make an Alfred Shaheen reproduction dress, wing bust dresses, and some other cuties.
Wow, I probably never would have visited the Trashy Diva site, being thrown off by the name I mean. I am truly greatful for that link. They cut their dresses very generous in the bust which is normally a hurdle I must overcome by means of alterations. I also thought the site was quite classy.
I hope we get some more links posted as I am having a great time window shopping this evening!

decodoll

Practically Family
How could I have forgotten Whirling Turban!? I even have one of her sarong dresses, as well as a one-off entirely fringed bolero she made. She does amazing work.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
My pocketbook may never survive this thread! I've already seen such goodies!

But my heart belongs to SF's Manifesto. And even Suzanne Castillo may close her little online shop for good after this season, so I just bought these two darling little dresses for an engagement party:

1294428408683166559_th.jpg

1795780387642758590_th.jpg

More vintage inspired than anything else, but they'll do the trick.

decodoll

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
A lot of my favorites have been mentioned already, but I am considering ordering a pair of 1940s trousers (they are available in dark denim, too) from this site:

http://vivienofholloway.com/

I actually have that pattern and have recently been contemplating making it up in denim for an upcoming camping trip! Must look vintage even when out in the wilderness! ;)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I actually have that pattern and have recently been contemplating making it up in denim for an upcoming camping trip! Must look vintage even when out in the wilderness!

Can I convince you to make a pair for me, too? I'm a bit worried about the sizing over at Vivien's; I heard they run small and they are a bit far away for easy returns ;)

decodoll

Practically Family
Yeah, I was looking at their sizing and thinking it looked a bit hippy. We might be able to work something out if you're not in a hurry. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points