Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage labels and hat dating

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
I have seen a few threads that touched on certain hats' labels, but I was wondering if anyone has assembled a volume concerning the trademarks, logos, and style of the popular hat brands. In the world of guitars and amplifiers, it is easy to find tomes about how to identify and determine the age of almost every brand of vintage gear, sometimes down to the day of the month that the serial number was applied.

I read the thread about Borsalino date codes, but apparently, some numbers did not jive with the type, material, etc. of the lid. A small exception can sometimes blow a big hole in the 'rule'.

I recently bought a Dobbs on eBay that was described as "vintage" but no image of the innards was posted. When it arrived, I saw that the inner tag had a vintage barcoded label :rage: ! Well, it was a decent hat at the price, so I can't really kvetch too loudly, but...vintage, it ain't - Caveat Emptor.

So, how about dating hats to within, say 5 years or so by the appearance, color, lettering, etc. of the logo? My experience is admittedly limited, but I have seen at least 5 or 6 varieties of Borsalinos, Resistols, and Stetsons, but only a couple of minor variations in Dobbs and Knox logos. Are there any written reference sources available, preferably profusely illustrated...maybe develop a reference/registry section on FL from members' experience and knowledge? Whaddya think?

Afterthought...Among the FL members, there must have been a significant number of hats found with gift dates, purchase receipts, or other documentation that would establish a decent reference database...

I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch - Gilda Radner

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana