Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Laundry

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Daisie! Once my Dr. Bronners runs out I may have to try this.

Has anyone ever tried Soap Flakes?

Soap Flakes

They seem pretty economical and ecofriendly. I'm still liking Moon Works...

miss_killin

Familiar Face
There is also a great recipe for fabric softener

One part vinegar (distilled white)
One part baking soda
Two parts hot water
5-10 drops of essential Oil (if desired)

-Add baking soda to hot water, stir until desolved (make sure to mix in large container because of the fizzy reaction)
-Add vinegar and stir until the fizzing stops
-Add Essential oil, stir till mixed and pour into the container of your choice.

You can either put 1/2 cup into a downy ball or spray on a washrag and throw it into the dryer

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fels-Naptha is my new friend!

Not suitable for delicate fabrics, but it is great as a stain treatment. And especially for the grimy collars and cuffs on white shirts. I just moisten the bar and run it across the inside of the collar/cuff and throw it in the wash. Amazingly effective! It's the Naptha that does it. It breaks down the grease.
So substituting Ivory as one poster wonders, will not work as well...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
protecting vintage clothes from moths...

this has been a helpful thread to read. I thought I'd throw this in as it was the answer I was given my our Vintage dealer gurus out here, "Miz Jula" and her husband Roberto. Since I had had a brand new wool coat ruined from moth damaged the first year I had it in our front hall closet- I asked them about moth damage to wool when we were getting into vintage as many many items are wool. They swear by two things. 1) Lavender dryer sachets bags, they are available at our local Trader Joe's. 2) tobacco, hung in little bags on the hangers. They said the clothes will not pick up the odor, but moths don't like it. They also said do NOT hang our wool coats or wool items in the front hall closet, or store our wool hats in the closet or on a rack in the front hallway. Right inside the front door area is the worst place.

Since the lavender dryer sachets are easily gotten in my area, I have them all over the place. On hangers, on closet shelves, tucked into my hats...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto