Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Look or Style

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
I realize this forum is geared heavily towards vintage clothing from a particular time period. I am thinking 1920-1950 with probably some time at the ends?

For myself except for some vintage cufflinks all my clothes are recent make and not reproductions. I like the elements of taste and style from the 1920’s and 1930’s and the “rules” from the time period but I don’t plan on getting repro clothing so much as adapting modern makes that have the same classic spirit and style. Neo-classical as opposed to classical I guess would be one way to put it or modern classic.

How do you do it? Vintage style down to the details or just try to follow the elements of good taste from the golden age?

MondoFW

Practically Family
I do a little bit of both. I like finding original clothing, rather than reproduction, because I usually find that the original clothing is of better quality, and I it feels like I'm holding onto a piece of history (that may or may not end up annihilated in my time of wear). Sometimes, I won't be nitpicky if I'm recreating a, say, 40s style and I have an 80s tie that works just as well with the outfit, or modern pleated slacks that accentuate the archaic style. Things I'm usually bent on finding originals for include suits, ties, hats, and accessories. Shirts, pants, and definitely underwear do not matter to me.

dannyk

One Too Many
I’m new here so take this as just my newbie forum member status. I might be in the minority here but I prefer repros. I have plenty of modern things that are either reminiscent of the past or I can tweak to look how I want. But if I’m going to spend a ton of money usually I go repro over original. Originals can be delicate and are what they are. With reproductions you can usually customize them and tailor them to your precise measurements and materials. And if done through a quality trusted maker whether it’s a suit or a leather jacket they are made with top quality and skill that usually is better than what was available then.

MondoFW

Practically Family
I’m new here so take this as just my newbie forum member status. I might be in the minority here but I prefer repros. I have plenty of modern things that are either reminiscent of the past or I can tweak to look how I want. But if I’m going to spend a ton of money usually I go repro over original. Originals can be delicate and are what they are. With reproductions you can usually customize them and tailor them to your precise measurements and materials. And if done through a quality trusted maker whether it’s a suit or a leather jacket they are made with top quality and skill that usually is better than what was available then.
So, you're saying that getting a 40s suit altered can lead to catastrophe results?

dannyk

One Too Many
So, you're saying that getting a 40s suit altered can lead to catastrophe results?

Not always of course. If it’s in great shape and you’re capable or know a really good tailor. It’s just hard depending especially on where you live to trust the results with something so cool. I live in Western New York and we don’t have a very large vintage market or quality tailors or vintage shops. So that also weighs on my decision to go to repro shops cause we just don’t have the market for it here sadly.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Many of the better suits you might find were originally custom-made, and thus it's hard to find anything that will fit you perfectly. Up until the late 1980's or so incredibly talented tailors were to be found in most big cities and you could get custom suits in beautiful fabrics for very reasonable prices. When I worked on Wall St., for instance, there was a great little shop on Exchange Place where I had some really phenomenal suits made for about $150 or $200. I'm sorry to disagree with your final statement above, especially regarding suits: there were lots of old-world tailors all over the US who were absolute magicians. Also, before the advent of fashion mass-marketing, there were lots of local manufacturers who were in direct competition with each other. So, not only was the quality very high, but there was a great deal of diversity in styles from one area to another. To get anything these days that even comes close to what used to be produced, and at reasonable prices, you have to pay top dollar now.

dannyk

One Too Many
Many of the better suits you might find were originally custom-made, and thus it's hard to find anything that will fit you perfectly. Up until the late 1980's or so incredibly talented tailors were to be found in most big cities and you could get custom suits in beautiful fabrics for very reasonable prices. When I worked on Wall St., for instance, there was a great little shop on Exchange Place where I had some really phenomenal suits made for about $150 or $200. I'm sorry to disagree with your final statement above, especially regarding suits: there were lots of old-world tailors all over the US who were absolute magicians. Also, before the advent of fashion mass-marketing, there were lots of local manufacturers who were in direct competition with each other. So, not only was the quality very high, but there was a great deal of diversity in styles from one area to another. To get anything these days that even comes close to what used to be produced, and at reasonable prices, you have to pay top dollar now.

I don’t disagree necessarily. Not at all. As my follow up stated it’s more about where I live. There’s is just no market for that kind of quality vintage/original product. For me it has to be reproduction materials. Even if I could go on eBay or something and find a nice original if it’s not in my size my neck of the woods does not have the quality tailor. So for me personally and I would venture a decent amount of people on this forum that’s just the way it is sadly. For others that may live in a thriving market or a larger city that have these abilities I can’t say I’m not a bit jealous.

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
You should look up Samuel Windsor.

I have looked at their product I like the look. I tend to buy a lot of Brooks Brothers just because the employee discount is hard to beat. I also buy Brooks off of eBay and other places because, even though I work in IT, I have seen enough to know a bit about the original price point, the manufacturer, etc. so I can tell which end of the line it comes from. Brooks Factory (346) is not the same as say Golden Fleece or Country Club but you can't always tell from the eBay description what it is.

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
My approach is to go for a more contemporary fit (slimmer) with classic/vintage details. This results in a visual impression that is stylish for today yet retro at the same time. I love heritage brands that specialize in that sort of thing, such as Original Penguin and PF Flyers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff