Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

Trickeration

Practically Family
I searched last night and saw that a small amount of recent discussion here was on nail polish/doing nails. I hadn't really noticed the unpainted 'moon' in my films or photos, but I did notice that unlike today's squared off, really long nails, ladies had their nails more of a medium length. And as for shape, their nails seem to range from oval shape, to almost a rounded point.

I garden, and I play drums. I also wear contacts. So my nails are usually a short to medium length oval. I just do them myself, and usually stick with red or clear polish when I paint them.

I've never really looked at the girls nails when I'm at a vintage event. Usually I notice hair and clothing. Do many of you have "vintage" nails? Do you do them yourselves or go to a salon? And if you do go to a salon, do they, as with most modern services, have no idea what you're talking about?

Just curious. Thanks. Trix:)

magneto

Practically Family
Trickeration said:
I searched last night and saw that a small amount of recent discussion here was on nail polish/doing nails.

Funny you should mention that...I had just decided it was time for me to admit defeat on my fingernail grooming and get a proper manicure (I paint my own nails but regardless what I do it chips immediately, or smudges/bubbles). I have a diagram of the purportedly "Thirties" nail (I think from a site someone posted here?) showing the unpainted "moon" and tip, and I was just going to go to a nail salon and show them the picture and let them figure it out!

I agree with you about the shape. One odd datapoint though, in a Buster Keaton movie--can't remember which one right now, I think "One Week" or the one about the slacker son and the stock market--there's a closeup of a girl's thumb as she's holding a letter or telegram, and the nail is *painfully* pointy! I remember stopping the DVD to confirm this oddity. Perhaps it was a flapper thing? :) Good luck on your quest!

decodoll

Practically Family
I usually get mine done with the moon left unpainted for the Gatsby Picnic and special occassions. My nails are usually somewhere between short to mid-length. They refuse to grow longer without breaking. If you go in, just be sure to bring a picture with you. Even so, they may look at you like you are very odd. Sometimes it even draws a crowd of other manicurists watching and.. um... probably saying how weird I am to each other, but as I can't understand them, I pretend they're saying how lovely my nails are. :D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just started researching 1930's manicures, and am having trouble finding a picture of the half moon style. I have noticed that most of the ladies have shorter nails which is perfect for me since I'm a dental hygienist. I don't know too many people who like getting their teeth cleaned, and I'm pretty sure nobody appreciates a lady with talon length nails coming toward there mouth. Anyway, I have a book collection on Ava Gardner, one of my style icons, and her nails tended to be short, rounded, and fully painted a cherry red to match her lipstick. So, this is how I've been getting my manicure. But, if anyone has good links they would be appreciated. In Boston, there are nail salons on every corner, and they are willing to do just about anything. I have spoken to my manicurist, and she said I would need a picture. But, for now, short round and red is what I've been doing.
As for doing them myself, to prevent chipping lots of coats is the key. Usually two coats of color and two coats of clear can last me at least 5 days before chipping. I also dry them with a hairdryer. This tends to set them better, I'm not sure if it has to do with the heat, but since I've been doing this, I've had a lot less chipping. Does anyone know if French Manicures were even used then? I really prefer this to color, once again because of my job, it's best to have natural looking nails.
Happy Painting,
Daiisy

Daisy Buchanan

decodoll said:
Sometimes it even draws a crowd of other manicurists watching and.. um... probably saying how weird I am to each other, but as I can't understand them, I pretend they're saying how lovely my nails are. :D
I know what you mean. I always feel like they are talking about me. I think this happened in an episode of "Seinfeld" and ever since then it makes me self conscious!

Daisy Buchanan

Miss Neecerie said:
Thanks so much Miss Neecerie:) I've been searching for a few days now for a picture like that. They also had some pictures of other stuff I was looking for with no luck! It seems that the internet today has almost too much information, which makes it hard to find exactly what I'm looking for.
Well, thank you very much,
Daisy

Trickeration

Practically Family
Thank you girls! I'm happy to see I'm not alone here. I've always been a bit of a tomboy, so the nail thing is still somewhat Greek to me.

Magneto- I think it was a 30's film or photo that I saw the pointed nails in, too. I guess they were the fashion for a while since they do get mentioned in the second link from Neecerie. It says that Rita Hayworth's nails were more oval than pointed and brought on 'new shape' to things in 1940. I think I'm the oval type. I wouldn't want to take my contacts out with claws :eek: Yikes!

Decodoll- I get those 'looks' when I get my hair done. It's hard to find a picture of an unfinished 40's do, so I bring pic of the simplest style I can find and explain as best I can what I need to be able to do with it. They often ask what I'm going to do with it the rest of the time (I usually tell them I'm in a swing band and dance), and they looked shocked that I wear it in vintage style every day, not just for shows. It's fun, though. I'm sure they talk more about us after we leave the salon ;) .

Daisy- Hi. My sis-in-law is also a dental hygenist in the Boston area. She lives in Salem and takes the train in to work every day. I love New England. We lived in Chicopee, Mass for a year then in Norwich, Ct for 5 years while my husband was in the Navy.
I use my hairdryer on my nails, too. And it does seem like they chip less than when I don't. I also use a coat of Hard As Nails before the polish. I got in the habit of doing this after I found a great shade of red that seemed to dye my nails :rage: and didn't come off well.

And Miss Neecerie- Thanks so much for the links. I put both in my favorites. They're great both for their cosmetic and historical information.

Trix :)

Daisy Buchanan

Trickeration said:
Daisy- Hi. My sis-in-law is also a dental hygenist in the Boston area. She lives in Salem and takes the train in to work every day. I love New England. We lived in Chicopee, Mass for a year then in Norwich, Ct for 5 years while my husband was in the Navy.
I use my hairdryer on my nails, too. And it does seem like they chip less than when I don't. I also use a coat of Hard As Nails before the polish. I got in the habit of doing this after I found a great shade of red that seemed to dye my nails :rage: and didn't come off well.
Trix :)
Hiya Trix,
That's so cool your sister is a dental hygienist in the Boston area. I just graduated, so I don't have steady employment yet, but I do really love it. Do you know who she works for? We probably went to the same school if she got her degree in Boston. Do you ever get to visit the New England area? If you do, we should make plans to meet up one day/evening for a vintage night on the town. My doors are always open.
Daisy

Naama

Practically Family
Funny, I actually thought about starting a similar thread! Because I visited this site http://www.return2style.de/swingstyl.../30amimup.html and was curious if theres anybody who does their nails like this. But my "problem" is, I don't have a moon, well only at my thumps..... So there's no way for me to do that.... :/ But well, my nails look horrible anyway, I shouldn't accentuate that..... :cry:

Naama

ITG

Call Me a Cab
And to think when I used to wear nail polish on my fingers in high school, I was in vintage style with this since my polish always chipped off on the ends and the part of by the cuticle would eventually grow out:

Image removed since site no longer allows direct linking

(I gave it up on the hands because it'd always start chipping off the next day)

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Great thread!

Trickeration~ you said you garden, does that trick of putting soap under your nails work? Oh! Hard as Nails is THE BEST! I also love love Nailtiques protien systems...well worth the money!

Daisy~ I usually do cold water and haven't tried the hairdryer- that's probably more soothing! There is a great quick dry product called 'Out The Door' which you can find at beauty supply stores, and it really works- it's like a top coat & your polish is dry almost instantly.

Miss Neecerie~ Thanks for the links!

I'm not sure about the sharp tallon like shape of nails! maybe that was for women who could just sit around and not be busy with the hands ;) I like the half moon shape at the cuticle, I don't know how I feel about it at the tip... I know I see it a lot in the vintage pictures/movies I've seen...

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Hi ladies, I'm a nail technician in the Syracuse, NY area. I know what the unpolished "moon" shape looks like. In all states you have to be licensed for hair and nails, so in our school book for nails, there was a small chapter on what was the popular look for polish through the decades. They had a few pictures for the 1930's. Mostly oval shapes, short to medium length. Very classy looking. Unfortunatly, today most women want longer, squared off nails. If anyone gets acrylics, be sure to ask what kind of acrylic (liquid) monomer they are using. Beware of MMA (methyl methacrylate). It is illeagal in the USA. And is VERY bad for your nails.

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
I was telling my wife about this discussion, I can't talk her into joining the Lounge herself, and she had once piece of advice. A store in our area named Ulta sells OPI nail polish. She says it's the best she has ever found as far as wear and colors. Good luck to all of you.

Trickeration

Practically Family
katiemakeup said:
Trickeration~ you said you garden, does that trick of putting soap under your nails work? Oh! Hard as Nails is THE BEST! I also love love Nailtiques protien systems...well worth the money!

Daisy~ I usually do cold water and haven't tried the hairdryer- that's probably more soothing! There is a great quick dry product called 'Out The Door' which you can find at beauty supply stores, and it really works- it's like a top coat & your polish is dry almost instantly.

Miss Neecerie~ Thanks for the links!

I'm not sure about the sharp tallon like shape of nails! maybe that was for women who could just sit around and not be busy with the hands ;) I like the half moon shape at the cuticle, I don't know how I feel about it at the tip... I know I see it a lot in the vintage pictures/movies I've seen...

I haven't tried soap under the nails yet. But my roses are overdue for pruning and I usually weed them as I go. I'll probably try to get to it next weekend. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks for the tip!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I was looking through a couple of Ladies Home Journals from 1941 and the only moons I came across were in an ad for soap. I apologize for the quality of the photos. I only have a camera phone to work with. I am also including 2 more ads that show fully pained nails. One is for lipstick and one is for nail polish. Once again I apologize for the quality. I thought you may want to see the pictures anyway.

nails03.jpg

nails02.jpg

nails01.jpg

~Lolita

decodoll

Practically Family
I did my nails vintage style yesterday using those tip guides they sell for french manicures. Came out pretty well. I had tried with a different brand of tip guides a few years ago and just ended up with a mess, but these worked very easily. I decided to try it again after reading that Dita does hers this way. Unfortunately, after I finished doing the red, I found the top on my clear top coat had sealed itself permanently shut...so no top coat in this picture. Plus, I just finished blocking four hats, so now half of my nails are starting to split :confused: ...guess I should have tried that soap under the nails...

vintagenails.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21