Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

crwritt

One Too Many
crwitt- I really like you nails. You might have given me the guts to try it myself.

Did you use clear polish/ top coat on the half moon area?
I did them slowly, one nail at a time. I cut the little stickers in half and put one in position, rubbed it down well
and then brushed on the red polish. Let that dry before moving to the next nail, so I wouldn't mess them up.
Then ever so carefully peeled the stickers. Then I brushed the clear polish over just the moon part, so as not
to make the red part bleed, let that dry, then another full clear coat.
I'm not too used to wearing color on my fingernails, but I sort of like it.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I did them slowly, one nail at a time. I cut the little stickers in half and put one in position, rubbed it down well
and then brushed on the red polish. Let that dry before moving to the next nail, so I wouldn't mess them up.
Then ever so carefully peeled the stickers. Then I brushed the clear polish over just the moon part, so as not

AS soon as my nails grow a bit longer.. I'm truing this. ;)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Thank you for explaining that. :) Did you do a bottom coat of something before using the stickers? I think I am going to try your method starting with a bottom coat of clear all over the nail.

I really like the nails with the moons and the tips, but I think that is beyond my ability level at this point- I finally figured out how to get the polish to go on and look smooth without air bubbles.

Isis

One of the Regulars
Iy looks very nice, crwritt!

I made mine grey green the other day:

IMG_0317.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
Thank you for explaining that. :) Did you do a bottom coat of something before using the stickers? I think I am going to try your method starting with a bottom coat of clear all over the nail.

I really like the nails with the moons and the tips, but I think that is beyond my ability level at this point- I finally figured out how to get the polish to go on and look smooth without air bubbles.
I didn't clear coat first, but you could. I tried moons and tips today, but it didn't come out neat enough to post.It really wasn't
much more difficult, I just rushed it and needed better light.

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Ooooft Darhling, they look great! I usually wear Bordeaux but you're making me consider Fishnet Stockings. Lovely lipstick, too :)

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
I tried moon mani's so many times and I just can't figure it out. The littler stickers don't stick (oily cuticles even though I prep accordingly) and the polish either is not connecting with the sides, and.. ughhh! Someone needs to give me a hands on lesson! :D

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I usually do them by hand after trying, and failing, using stickers. I saw a You Tube tutorial but, very unhelpfully, can't remember what it was called/ who did it etc. Basically paint diagonally up each side of your nail to leave a wide triangle and then fill in the tip of the triangle to form a moon shape. Works really well for me.

Also, I use Bourjois Anti-Choc (No Chips) nail varnish which has an angled brush and make it much easier to get a curve.

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
When did pearlescent (mica) nailpolish come into style? I just got myself a lovey golden rose shade (peachy pink with lots of golden shimmer) but I'm not sure it really works with my mostly 40s inspired style. Usually I wear non-perlescent reds, pinks and purples.

fgradowski

One of the Regulars
I actually recently did a halfmoon mani on myself. I am big into nail art and usually paint all sorts of things on my nails, but this time I kept it simple with a red halfmoon mani. This was my first time doing a halfmoon and I did not use stickers. Instead I painted my nail and then used my french tip brush dipped in pure acetone to remove the polish in the halfmoon area. For those of you that have never had french tips done at a salon, they paint more of the tip than needed (it usually looks messy) and they use a sort of flat, rounded brush to create the french tip.
1979534_10202548860436105_1034317047_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto