Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Millinery Singer Sewing Machines (Sweatbands, Binding, Ribbons, ETC)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
After doing a bit more research.....I have come up with the answer to which Singer machine was used for which type of vintage sweatband stitch....The tight "I" and "V" stitching.

The Singer 107W9 was used for the very tight “I” stiching on vintage hats.

singer107w94.jpg

In this ad from the 1921 Edition of the American Hatter, it clearly shows the type of stich that the 107w9 makes.

107w9upclose.jpg

These few pictures are from the original Instruction manual for the machine:

singer107w91.jpg

singer107w92.jpg

singer107w93.jpg

The whole manual can be viewed here:

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/107W9_W10_W12.pdf

The Singer 37-3 was used for the very tight “V” stiching that is found on so many early hats.

Singer37-3.jpg

This ad from a 1901 edition of the American Hatter shows the 37-3 and explains how the machine works.

1901singer37-3-1.jpg

The two spools of thread, along with the two needles do a diagonal stich which forms the “V”

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family

Sorry to resurrect an old post. In the image above I am very interested in the second machine under the heading "The French Stitched Edge". Does anyone recognize the machine and what model it might be? The last hour or so of searching has resulted in no new information.

I could be wrong but the edge it produces looks very similar to what Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works is calling the Halo edge. When I first saw the edge I thought it was done with a serger but it just might be this machine.

tommyK

One Too Many
This thread is kind of depressing. Nearly 5 years and no one has come up with a 46-100 and mastered the art of using one. If Art can't do it, it does seem like it could be a lost skill. One of the most common problems with vintage hats is an unreeded sweatband coming undone. This would be great if someone could repair or redo these.

If I've missed where anyone offers this service please point me in the right direction?

Last edited:

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
This thread is kind of depressing. Nearly 5 years and no one has come up with a 46-100 and mastered the art of using one. If Art can't do it, it does seem like it could be a lost skill. One of the most common problems with vintage hats is an unreeded sweatband coming undone. This would be great if someone could repair or redo these.

If I've missed where anyone offers this service please point me in the right direction?

I may be wrong but I thought Art did finally get his 46-100 working. If I recall correctly it was on another thread.

Aside from the 46-100 from Singer, Bonis makes a machine that is similar. I just can't verify that it does everything the 46-100 does. Chuck Bonis sent me the picture below when I asked if he had a machine that functions like the 46-100. Granted the image is small and isn't very clear. Bonis machines are not cheap either: http://www.bonisparts.com/machine-catalogs

hatband.png

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Sorry to resurrect an old post. In the image above I am very interested in the second machine under the heading "The French Stitched Edge". Does anyone recognize the machine and what model it might be? The last hour or so of searching has resulted in no new information.

I could be wrong but the edge it produces looks very similar to what Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works is calling the Halo edge. When I first saw the edge I thought it was done with a serger but it just might be this machine.

I have identified the Singer machine that performs the Over-Edge Stitching, it is a Singer 81-2
"3-thread over-edge chain stitch; Speed 4500spm. For flannels, muslin, denims, etc. Inserting sleeves into shirt waists. Singer suggested replacement 246-12."

81-2FrenchStitch.PNG

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Hello All,

I've recently come into possession of a Singer 46-100 and was wondering if there is anyone, anywhere, who can get this machine into good working order or provide any information on specific needles, threading, etc.

Thanks, all.

. Singer46-100.jpeg

Hello All,

I've recently come into possession of a Singer 46-100 and was wondering if there is anyone, anywhere, who can get this machine into good working order or provide any information on specific needles, threading, etc.

Thanks, all.

. View attachment 77304

Have you checked with your dry cleaner/tailor about who services their machine(s), Adrian? I was thinking of inquiring at my cleaners, but I'm PO'd and not talking to her currently for killing a Sir Pendleton shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto