Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
0b59ed26974e4c4a3dff3b550443b576.jpg
fbed099deb1edb03b39b56f79e126142.jpg

Rob

While they were ten to twenty years old - and most were a bit tired even then - there still were a bunch of places like this operating when I was a kid in the '70s.

Do you ever do this, start a post to make a point and then not even get to it? My (small as it may be) point in this post was to note how much I loved these somewhat rundown places as a kid. They had a homey or comfortable feel to me that the - at the time - newer chains or slicker-looking places didn't have. I had no real Golden Era perspective then; these places just appeal to something inside of me.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Sadly, the newer chains still don't have that feeling.

The closest to come to that 'homey' and well-worn feel is probably Waffle House...it still has that dive/dump vibe to it, and honestly, the food isn't too terribly bad.

Rob

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Burger Chef was actually a viable chain, back in the day...I remember seeing them here in Florida (even ate there, as a kid).

They were actually second in the league of fast food restaurants (behind the juggernaut of McDonald's) for having a large number of national locations... BC invented the kid's meal, and patented the flame broiled burger system.

They eventually sold out to rival Hardees in 1982.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_Chef

Rob

Last edited:

Love the haphazardness of the sign. Also, while a penny meant something in the '50s, "buy 2 and save 1 cent -" really, was that even enticing back then?

I just checked my handy dandy internet inflation calculator and 1 penny then is worth about 9 pennies today. So, it is as if today the sign read:

"Hamburgers $1.62, 2 for $3.15"

To emphasize, that's 2 for $3.15 versus 2 for $3.24 without the "savings -" zzzzzzzzzzzzz (although, the price of $1.62, if it's not teeny tiny, ain't bad at all).

Cool two-tone car - echoes the wagons we've been chatting about in the gas station thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112