Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Photos of Leather Jackets

RJR

I love these photos. They remind me not to buy anything more but to wear what I have more frequently!
For those who are after the look of those photos, I'm sorry to break it you, it's not likely to happen with a dozen of jackets and pants in the closet(s). Haha. I mean these people look so great in their clothes because they virtually lived in them. Most of our stuff will never get the mileage to look anywhere like it. That's also why I think most of the people wearing repros and expensive well-made stuff today just look like rich people who like to dress up in fancy clothes. It's hardly ever that I see anyone where it doesn't look like the clothes are wearing the person but the other way round.
So, I think we should all stand up to our own ideals and keep wearing what we have. It'll look so much better after some time.
Even vintage stuff has to be worn by yourself to look right on your body. But that's just my humble opinion.
I love those photos by the way!!!
+1

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
5mjx4j.jpg

A-2 (horsehide) leather jacket from 1978.
Taken me many years to break-in. Not because I have many jackets.
Rather this jacket is tough as nails.

I painted the "A.V.G. 3rd Squadron Hell’s Angels"
as an homage to one of the Flying Tigers ace pilot that I
met in Texas.

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
image.jpeg
Here's a group of U.S. Navy Chiefs in WWII and one is wearing a civilian leather jacket. During the war there was a lot of latitude allowed in the wearing of one's uniform, especially aboard ship or out on some island in the middle of the South Pacific. Although khaki uniforms were prescribed in the uniform regulations for all officers and Chiefs, many Chiefs wore the enlisted men's dungarees with the khaki Chief "combination" cap.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Great photos everyone, keep 'em coming!
Monitor said:
The jacket is quite generous in the shoulders and appears roomy enough around the chest but then it just drops to a very tight waist. That actor is very lean, yeah, and the jacket looks awesome on him. This again reminded me of those photos someone else posted a while ago, of a 50's (or so) car show, where several guys can be spotted wearing their leather jackets exactly like in the screens above - which is, oddly so, quite unlike how most modern repros fit.
I've noticed that too. I have no idea how people can move in modern fit jackets which seem to be so tight in the shoulders, etc. I blame photos of Brando in that movie. He was pretty chubby for the period, he actually had more of a modern-day physique than someone from his period.
A-1 said:
I love these photos. They remind me not to buy anything more but to wear what I have more frequently! For those who are after the look of those photos, I'm sorry to break it you, it's not likely to happen with a dozen of jackets and pants in the closet(s). Haha. I mean these people look so great in their clothes because they virtually lived in them. Most of our stuff will never get the mileage to look anywhere like it. That's also why I think most of the people wearing repros and expensive well-made stuff today just look like rich people who like to dress up in fancy clothes. It's hardly ever that I see anyone where it doesn't look like the clothes are wearing the person but the other way round. So, I think we should all stand up to our own ideals and keep wearing what we have. It'll look so much better after some time. Even vintage stuff has to be worn by yourself to look right on your body. But that's just my humble opinion.
Things were tighter in those days and people didn't have as much stuff. When my grandfather died we thrifted his clothes since it wouldn't fit any of us (and this was before the interweb). He was a clothes horse who always took pride in his appearance but his closet was tiny and he only had a couple suits and a few casual clothes. If all you have is one jacket, it gets worn daily and wears in quickly...

Reactions: A-1

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
A suction cupped baby carrier on a motorcycle tank. Would you not get crucified for something like that nowdays?? I find it amazing that any of us survived the "unregulated" days...
Get ready for a whole bunch of things to be introduced in the name of "safety", including taking away your motorcycle (or forcing you to pay such colossal insurance rates for it that you'll get rid of it on your own). Enjoy your freedom now.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Monitor said:
Cool jacket and cooler fit! Short jacket, though, and waist drop is crazy.
Further to that discussion of the leather jacket in "The Big Sleep", here's Brando in a famous movie which needs no introduction - note the same huge waist drop from the chest as with the Big Sleep jacket. Definitely a vintage fit with that generous upper body and small waist. Schott today seems to have a much smaller drop between the chest and sweep, although it's possible the jacket Brando wore in the film was modified by the costume department.

cv_Da_MPB.jpg

Something's definitely holding those shoulders up and I don't think it's just Brando. This is why most people end up being disappointed in their quest to look like him. It's not just the matter of buying a Perfecto and you're suddenly a member of B.R.M.C. I'm still willing to bet my money on Durable. They had such shoulders to waist drop, at least judging by the photos.

Then again, pretty much all extras in this film wear jackets that fit insanely well.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
One of the few good colour pics of WW2 A2s (my apologies if it already here).
DN3AV4.jpg

No need to apologize, this is all good stuff from everyone. Thanks.
Here’s the information on this photo which I posted in 2014.

“Langley Field:1942
Combat crew receives final instructions just before taking off in a YB-17 bomber from
the bombardment squadron base at Langley Field, Virginia."
(4x5 Kodachrome by Alfred Palmer -Office of War Information.)

Everything points to a promotional shot, nevertheless, great image of WW2 jackets.

Credit : Shorpy Archives.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ