Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage pics of african americans

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
I love that picture of the girl scouts, makes me want to rejoin :D

more pics! I'm loving this thread...

colonerobinson1_inside.jpg

grundy_f3.jpg

hldboosters1930.jpg

af163.jpg

1943_Office_Samuel_Plato_building_contractor_Nat_Archives.JPG

VintageLove

New in Town
deadpandiva said:
People can be really stupid. I think Minneapolis must be pretty progressive though because I have only received nice comments about my retro style. At least all I know of are the nice comments. I also get questions from people who seam a little curious or confused but nothing downright mean yet. I love your hair by the way.

Why, thank you, deadpandiva! I live in California now, which is a delight, because people seem to be a lot more tolerant of differences. But I lived in Kansas before that and it was much more difficult to be regarded as anything short of strange. It was entertaining though, hehe.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
New Orleans Hat Ordinance.
Apparently they were so stylish free women of color were not allowed to wear hats. (1986) Around the 2 minute mark.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Posted by Baron Kurtz in the Grizzly thread-
3123406663_7895748649_o.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap If these boys were alive today at this age, they probably would be wearing their pants down to the ground. This is what I call style, even though the boy on the left probably would have been considered under-dressed by the elders with his dungarees.

Daimere

New in Town
kamikat said:
It could go either way. I have seen pics of my stepmother with hair exactly the same and it wasn't a wig. On the other hand, wigs and hairpieces seem to have less of a stigma for African American women than they do for caucasian women.
I totally agree. I had my natural hair pink for a while but was unsure that my new job would approve. I bought a nice wig online. People thought I was bonkers when I finally went to a natural color again and I told them I had been wearing a wig for 2 months (my wig was chin length dark blonde and one day I showed up with elbow length red hair).

Yet at my other job, a lot of african american women worked there and would asked if I was wearing a wig if I styled my hair different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112