Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Police Uniforms

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
BDUs instead of dress pants, combat boots instead of shoes, short sleeved shirts, and even shorts and tee shirts for some, no hats . . . I think it all follows the terminally casual trend our society as a whole has adopted in the past few decades. I personally applaud states like New Jersey and Massachusetts for sticking with tradition. I wish more would return to them. I do notice that state police/highway patrol in general still seem to dress more formally than their local counterparts.

We don't a "state police", as in that terminology, but we have these:

Texas Rangers

photo025.jpg

gman41

New in Town
I agree with the above.

Whenever something new comes out in policing everyone feels the need to jump on it and perfect it or put their own spin to it. That is how things become as they say bastardized. The BDUs were for dirty jobs such as snowy slushy day, working traffic posts at a construction site, training or firearms range days, etc. after 9-11 they were used more often which is the turning point for this militarization of the police in general. Sadly there is a need to change with the times.

Tradition is a bad word these days . The past is always spun as wrong and not inclusive or some other political correct propaganda young people are brainwashed with. If you held people to the grooming standards of the past we would be court on a trumped up lawsuit by an employee who was never truly good at his job to begin with. Look at the controversy with the US Army's new grooming standards released this week.

Turbans are now worn by some NYPD officers as they are now worn in the US Army. Beards would never be allowed yet they are now under this guise of religious freedom. Try wearing a cross on your uniform and see what reactions you get from the public and the bosses however. There is no inclusion for the formerly mainstream in our new world, religious or otherwise.

Tattoos are covered up with short sleeves these days. NJ State Police do not have a shirt sleeve shirt, they never did. They never liked any tats showing and it gives the wearer a more larger look in long sleeves. Local police must now wear stretchy ace bandage type coverings of exposed tattoos in some towns as this inking of America spirals out of control.

Does anyone recall when the UPS man was never allowed to be hired with visible tattoos and facial hair, no earrings too. This has all changed along with our entire culture decline and crazy lawsuits won.

Gun leather...anyone know about the changes in gun leather.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Police should look intimidating. This sometimes scares people and stops anyone from getting foolish which could result in the civilian being hurt in a fight to subdue them, or the police officer being assaulted.

Are police your friend ?, my answer is no, we are an authority figure just like your boss is. We can do it with compassion and respect and courtesy, but in the end we need to have that level of respect or fear when we are on scene.
The problem with projecting an intimidating demeanor is that it can lead one to adopt aggressive behavior, which can result in needlessly inflaming otherwise mundane police/citizen interactions.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The problem with projecting an intimidating demeanor is that it can lead one to adopt aggressive behavior, which can result in needlessly inflaming otherwise mundane police/citizen interactions.
Yes, I also think that "authority" can't be simplified to "intimidating". It also required a degree of trust and reliability. Maybe they are not just "our friend" but sureley they are more than just bullies. A general distrust towards the police forces won't lower the violence but provoke it.
Increasingly they look more like event bouncers than police.
See? They may be intimidating but not the kind of "authority" I want for the police.

The question that has been raised is whether a certain style of jodhpur has been dropped from uniform by many police forces since 1942ish because so many people readily associate those jodhpurs with Nazi uniforms
True. One of the few vintage items I don't aesthetically dislike but still wouldn't wear. (I'm from germany). A few Loungers from scandinavia don't have this problem and they look quite good in jodhpurs.

Yes, I also think that "authority" can't be simplified to "intimidating". It also required a degree of trust and reliability. Maybe they are not just "our friend" but sureley they are more than just bullies. A general distrust towards the police forces won't lower the violence but provoke it.

See? They may be intimidating but not the kind of "authority" I want for the police.

True. One of the few vintage items I don't aesthetically dislike but still wouldn't wear. (I'm from germany). A few Loungers from scandinavia don't have this problem and they look quite good in jodhpurs.

I agree that law enforcement doesn't have to look intimidating to command authority. I posted the picture of the Texas Rangers, who certainly don't dress in an intimidating military style, but let me tell you, when you run into one on the street, or one walks into a restaurant, everyone knows who it is and the authority and respect they project is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't argue with that. I meant the bdu with t-shirt look that resembles (private) security guards more than an uniform.
A clean distincition between security and police is a must in my eyes. In some cities you see security firms bullying homeless people. They get paid by the shop owners. I think they have no right to do so.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
In some cities you see security firms bullying homeless people. They get paid by the shop owners. I think they have no right to do so.
Sadly, there are some who appear to think that one loses their rights of citizenship if they lose their home.

Huertecilla

Banned
Sadly there is a need to change with the times.

Let us not get political.
Í think there is more need than ever for vigilance AGAINST that as civic rights are treaded by western governments like those were in medieval days.
So; let us remain at this now balance of opionion.

Here is snapshot of me as the mounted unit :D of our village:

Foto550-RU6TIVUO.jpg

I have meanwhile quite the service: I joined to UNARMEDLY sérve the community, not to get militarised to ´maintain the order´ according to the definitions of the ever richer establishment.

I was told I could keep the cap :eusa_doh:

gman41

New in Town
Europe has a different view and or use for police then we do here in America. America differs greatly than even that of neighboring Canada. Culture seems to come into play here when we speak of police and authority. America has about 330 million people here that we know about. Mental illness and drug use multiplies by that amount. Bordering Mexico too brings a certain level of challenges for us in America.

To stay on track here and not get political can be tough.

The photo of the Texas Rangers is not that of a uniformed force and appears to be a P/R one. Being dressed like that would not get you too far out in the street even in Texas where that style of dress is accepted.

Sometimes a more salty look, a more seasoned look is better. Being dressed like the palace guard and calling everyone "sir" sometimes makes you appear to be a bell hop in the eyes of people likely to challenge your authority.

Last edited:
The photo of the Texas Rangers is not that of a uniformed force and appears to be a P/R one. Being dressed like that would not get you too far out in the street even in Texas where that style of dress is accepted.

That is their everyday dress. Granted they are mainly investigative, they're not out on patrol in the streets. But when you see one, you immediately know who it is and they command respect, without looking intimidating.

Edward

Bartender
What about a police officer on horseback? In my town, we have mounted officers at both the city and county level. I actually like the city mounted patrol uniforms,

View attachment 12401

not so much the county, as they look too cowboyish.

View attachment 12402

The Metropolitan Police Force here in London still have horse-mounted patrols, though I don't know whether this is still done anywhere else in the UK.

Mounted.police.buckingham.palace.arp.jpg

31_39_9_web.jpg

I don't know how it works out in terms of efficiency versus, say, an electric moped or other alternative form of transport, but it's certainly popular among the tourists, and I suppose counts towards some of the aims of 'community policing'. Where I've seen it be incredible effective is in crowd control - they no longer take the horses into riot control situations as they did back in the eighties, but for less fraught situations... years ago, i saw the Stones in the old Wembley Stadium. Afterwards, with most of 80,000 people headed for the tube, the horses were used to help create a barrier to regulate the flow of people into the station. Beautiful animals. I certainly wouldn't tangle with a horse, though, after the experience of a couple of folks I've known - one very badly injured, the other killed.

We don't a "state police", as in that terminology, but we have these:

Texas Rangers

View attachment 12403

Not, from what you posted later, a uniform, but presumable a dress code? I miss the jackets, but I imagine that's a concession to the heat. I suspect if I lived in Texas I'd never wear anything but linen!

Turbans are now worn by some NYPD officers as they are now worn in the US Army. Beards would never be allowed yet they are now under this guise of religious freedom. Try wearing a cross on your uniform and see what reactions you get from the public and the bosses however. There is no inclusion for the formerly mainstream in our new world, religious or otherwise.

Totally and utterly different situations. Christians are no obligated to wear a cross of any sort at all - let alone to do so in a manner designed for it to be seen by others. For those of us not in the clergy or employed by the church, the workplace is not an appropriate location for prosleytising. Sikhs are obligated as a direct command within their religion to wear the turban. no different than certain Jewish traditions of dress, or requiring a workplace to make allowance for a Kosher diet. It's a matter of observance of the religion for the benefit of the practitioner, not for the benefit of others.

Does anyone recall when the UPS man was never allowed to be hired with visible tattoos and facial hair, no earrings too. This has all changed along with our entire culture decline and crazy lawsuits won.

To be honest, if my postman's tattoes don't impede his ability to deliver my post on time, they're really none of my business. Body ink is certainly becoming more mainstream nowadays, though that's really more of a return to a much older norm rather than the twentieth century's brief conception of a minority pursuit "for sailors and criminals".

Yes, I suppose it's a fine line -0 they need to be able to both command and earn respect, as is appropriate in any given situation.

I can well understand that; being Irish, I'm wary of skimasks myself.

I don't argue with that. I meant the bdu with t-shirt look that resembles (private) security guards more than an uniform.
A clean distincition between security and police is a must in my eyes. In some cities you see security firms bullying homeless people. They get paid by the shop owners. I think they have no right to do so.

The polis here aren't much better on that front, alas. Certainly, though, there absolutely must be a clear distinction between a private security contractor and a police officer who has the force of law.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
In my opinion, as someone who had made his primary living as a tattoo artist for the past 17 years, I think tattoos showing while in uniform of any kind looks bad, period.

I don't know how it works out in terms of efficiency versus, say, an electric moped or other alternative form of transport, but it's certainly popular among the tourists, and I suppose counts towards some of the aims of 'community policing'. Where I've seen it be incredible effective is in crowd control - they no longer take the horses into riot control situations as they did back in the eighties, but for less fraught situations... years ago, i saw the Stones in the old Wembley Stadium. Afterwards, with most of 80,000 people headed for the tube, the horses were used to help create a barrier to regulate the flow of people into the station. Beautiful animals. I certainly wouldn't tangle with a horse, though, after the experience of a couple of folks I've known - one very badly injured, the other killed.

Mounted police are use for downtown patrol on busy streets, as well as for large outdoor gatherings, though probably not for "riot control", but their primary use is for search and rescue types of activities. Horses seem to be the right tool for that job. In fact, there's a private search and rescue operation called Texas Equusearch, which is quite renown for their capabilities on horseback.

Not, from what you posted later, a uniform, but presumable a dress code? I miss the jackets, but I imagine that's a concession to the heat. I suspect if I lived in Texas I'd never wear anything but linen!

Yeah, the Rangers aren't really a "uniform", per se. And believe it or not, it's not always stifling hot in Texas. Right now, as a matter of fact, is a beautiful time of year. And we have our cold as well. But in general, it's a warm weather climate, so dress standards tend to reflect that.

Huertecilla

Banned
Mounted police are use for downtown patrol on busy streets, as well as for large outdoor gatherings, though probably not for "riot control", but their primary use is for search and rescue types of activities. Horses seem to be the right tool for that job. In fact, there's a private search and rescue operation called Texas Equusearch, which is quite renown for their capabilities on horseback.

My role included SAR and even bush fire control. We had a portable air pressure extinguisher with 10 litres of water with the back straps modified so I could ride with it and a pole with flap stuck under my leg.
Put out a small fire strated by field stubbles burning that way. Only one but still. It was a bit far/difficult to get to on foot, impossible to reach on wheels and waiting for the helicopter would have meant a serious spread.
By the time my collegues arrived of foot it was still easily extinguished by ourselves.

Oh, crowd control would not have been asked. For one because I am not partial to that and secondly because of ethical objections against putting animals at risc for that.

gman41

New in Town
The work of the Texas Rangers and that of a uniformed force are very much different. Not that one is better or more important, it is just different.

The suit coat that you see in the photo of the Massachusetts state police is basically the same worn by New Jersey State Police while on duty in cold weather. Many local departments such as mine have the same jacket for ceremonial or dress use. It is called a dress blouse. Where the gun belt rides is about rib cage height, higher than the waistline at least. This makes it very difficult to draw a weapon from the holster or use your equipment on the gun belt. So there is a bit of functionality that goes along with what a police officer wears.

The Sam Browne belt strap is used to bear the weight of the pistol, to keep it up from sagging. We use a breakaway system so that if someone grabs the strap it will simply just disconnect and not be used to drag the wearer. Same with the clip on tie.

Times change and new and better ways of doing things come about.

To the militarization point of American police, it comes with the new world of terror which we live in. If anyone has been to Penn Station NYC they will see armed soldiers and heavily armed police with long guns and machine pistols. There is a need to send a message to a young, scared, would be terrorist that the police are not just door shakers and traffic cops. We have all been issued gas masks in the county where I work and the NYPD officers all have one on their gun belts in a black bag. Imagine a gas attack in the transit system.

Things are quite different in the New York and New Jersey area than anywhere else in the country. I imagine they are quite different now in Boston after the marathon bombing. Policing heavily populated areas in a fast moving culture which is richly diverse brings a lot of challenges.

To the point above about Christians not being required to wear a cross I say this. Not every Jew has a beard or a yarmulke, not every Asian dress's like a Buddhist monk. In the end it is a personal preference on how far you choose to take your religion. These are the rules, do you want the job or not. And perhaps I would be offended being confronted by a female officer in a burka with all or part of her face covered. So maybe we just need to remove all religion from government and it's workers and let them be free to practice at home.

European police were heavily armed in the 70s.

Police are just a lightning rod no matter what continent you type from. Most hate them, some love them and respect them.

Most hate them, some love them and respect them.

Not only is this a very grim view of the world, I think it's terribly inaccurate. I'm sure there are many who resent law enforcement, but to suggest that most people simply hate them is way off base too. I think most people, in the US at least, admire and respect police officers, even if they grumble about this or that.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The Shanghai Municipal Police ("SMP") operated within the confines of the Shanghai International Settlement, from the 1850s until the 1940s, when the Settlement was disbanded during WWII. They were originally modelled after the British Metropolitan Police ("Scotland Yard").

The SMP had one of the hardest jobs in policing back in the old days. From its earliest days, the Settlement was a hotbed of vice, crime and violence. Drug-smuggling, prostitution, racial violence, gang-violence, shootings, stabbings, underworld wars kidnappings and other hardcore crimes were VERY common in Shanghai.

Shanghai was an open port at the time. One of five 'Treaty Ports'. As people living in Shanghai were granted immunity from prosecution by Chinese officials, the only 'law' that existed within the Settlement was the SMP, or the law that you carried in your pocket. As you can imagine, this made crime EXTREMELY common. I'm not surprised at all that the police carried bulletproof/stabproof vests with them as part of their uniform.

What Were They Thinking???
Unfortunately, I can't find an image anywhere online but around 1948 the Amsterdam police adopted a black uniform that unfortunately bore too much of a resemblance to the black SS uniform. Needless to say, it was very short-lived. :p

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
And perhaps I would be offended being confronted by a female officer in a burka with all or part of her face covered.

There are no police officers in "burkas" (which always has a face cover).

---

BTW respecting the police doesn't require "love" or "admiration" - and not "fear".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk