Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Police Uniforms

newsman

One of the Regulars
Whereas, Charles Becker was still an NYPD lieutenat when, in 1912, he was arrested for the murder of Herman Rosenthal, a NYC underworld figure....

Not a lot has changed; has it? I can remember back when I stared my field training officer said, "Most cops go to jail over money, evidence, or women."

He was right. A woman got his badge. His wife got his money.

German policeman, 1925

8f0e6edd01f718f209eed05a6b60ba5c.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Here's some more pics of my favorite department, the SFPD.

This is the uniform from the late teens and early twenties:
morgue05_sfpd_uni_1932.jpg

Here's a member the SFPD mounted unit from the late 1950's and two K-9 unit officers in the early 1960s:
460x1240.jpg

premium_landscape.jpg

And lastly an officer with some pretty groovy 1970s sideburns. What's interesting the the SFPD class A uniform hasn't changed that much since then.
arnold-SFPDW-830x1024.jpg

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Awful lot of uncontrolled facial hair in some of the photos throughout this thread, especially the photos from the turn of the century. Obviously the police had way too much freedom.

Nobert

Practically Family
I just don't feel comfortable dealing with people who project aggression, although I found last year with a couple of OPP highway patrolmen that if you call them by their rank (sergeant, constable, never "officer") and address them in a business-like tone and keep the conversation focused on the matter at hand, then they don't get as pushy...But criticisms aside, yes I know they have an important role to play in society, etc etc, which I accept.

As for uniforms, the local police here in Ontario seem to be dressed the most traditionally

What have you, Constable?
ow9vjchztpdelruoiavs.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points