Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Silhouettes Custom Hats - Official Affiliate Thread

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Oxblood looks cool but it may be too flashy for me. Just don't know if I would feel comfortable wearing it.

I consider the Oxblood a special occasion hat. Not that it actually requires a special occasion, but more like "don't wear it too often" - a bit like paisley printed English Madder ties. I did commission the Oxblood and I enjoy wearing it, especially on dull winter days, cold rainy days, and in the autumnal mist and sunshine; but it wasn't one of the first hats that I had made.
I think it can be a most flattering color if worn properly; the dress weight Black Cherry is much more challenging in my opinion. It seems to me that men with silver/grey hair can get away with the Black Cherry much more easily. But then, the older a man gets the easier he can get away with so many wardrobe specialties. You better believe it.

Less is more. I'd humbly recommend one of the more unobtrusive colors as a first or even second VS.
A Pecan felt with a steel grey (that's right, steel) ribbon, for instance, is a suprisingly versatile combination. Something like this hat commissioned by another lounger (there's no larger file):

The Dove felt would be another option; it's extremely versatile, subtle, and works even with casual clothes; perhaps a raw brimmed one with a silver/ glen grey ribbon like Che's. One wouldn't think of a grey hat first when considering casual hats, but this particular color does the job quite well if you want to go try something different and slightly more dressy.

Last edited:

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I think it can be a most flattering color if worn properly; the dress weight Black Cherry is much more challenging in my opinion. It seems to me that men with silver/grey hair can get away with the Black Cherry much more easily. But then, the older a man gets the easier he can get away with so many wardrobe specialties. You better believe it.

I find my black cherry goes with everything but green. It is flashy, but a very versatile color. You can see mine in my avatar.

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
How about international street names?
amsterdam ave.
champs elysees.
schonhauser allee.
la rambla.
viale papiniano.
Great new hats by the way, what's the modern twist compared to the older hats?
Paul

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
"University Ave."

Dove
5 1/4" crown
2" brim
bound in 6 ligne "Glen"
Crown ribbon 19 ligne "University Blue"
Diamond crease

View attachment 1040 View attachment 1041

This is just too odd. This hat instantly reminded me of a picture I have posted here of my mom and her father (my maternal grandfather). In it, he wearing a hat that looks to be almost a dead ringer for this hat. What the oddity? They lived on Andrews Ave, exactly one block away from University Ave. in the Bronx. Spooky.

I'll post the picture when I get home.

I may have to purchase this model. I don't believe in coincidences.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
This is just too odd. This hat instantly reminded me of a picture I have posted here of my mom and her father (my maternal grandfather). In it, he wearing a hat that looks to be almost a dead ringer for this hat. What the oddity? They lived on Andrews Ave, exactly one block away from University Ave. in the Bronx. Spooky.

I'll post the picture when I get home.

I may have to purchase this model. I don't believe in coincidences.

Honest Scotty, I haven't seen the pic you are referring to. I simply had a vision of a young ( college age) man wearing this hat and since I spent much of my youth in Berkeley Ca, University Ave was a natural.

Paul, I'm not known for stingies ( more to come) and that in itself is new. I've had many questions as to whether I was capable of doing them so here is an answer. Also, like the Tuxedo hat, some things are new to me and the learning curve is improving.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here's the picture. I think the resemblance is uncanny. This was taken in either 1938 or 1939. The toddler is my mom. The gent is my grandpa.

If it's not exact, it's darn close, color and all.

And Art's 'University':

Now that I'm looking at them together, the new one's crown appears to be a tad shorter than my gp's. But still, all in all, they are amazingly close.

Last edited:

elveston

Familiar Face
I couldn't resist any longer. With Mr. Fawcett's incentives, I've decided, not only to order one of his luxury beaver hats, but to include his "cross-over" Hitchhiker nutria blends.

The Hitchhiker will be "stock", probably with the 1 inch ribbon. But, I'm still trying to decide on the beaver felt color and style. I like the wider brim of the "Academy", but am favoring a color to go more with the browns, tans, and occasional black that I normally wear. The Black Cherry looks like it may be the answer, bringing a bit of additional flair with its intense color.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. My conformer is due tomorrow, so I have to start nailing down my choices pretty soon. Thanks.

elveston

Familiar Face
Another question. Has anyone had any experience with a 2 3/4 inch brim in Artlite? I would like to extend the felt hat season by a few weeks here in Houston, and the lightweight felt may be the thing. My concern is the extra brim width not being able to be supported in the lighter weight felt.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Another question. Has anyone had any experience with a 2 3/4 inch brim in Artlite? I would like to extend the felt hat season by a few weeks here in Houston, and the lightweight felt may be the thing. My concern is the extra brim width not being able to be supported in the lighter weight felt.

One lounger commissioned an OR-style VS lightweight Silverbelly. So, a 2 3/4" brim with bound edge is going to be fine. My unsubstantiated guess is that a 2 3/4" raw brim should be fine as well, although a bound brim might hold its shape better in the long term.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I was going to make the bound brim suggestion too. The tension in the binding ribbon will hold the brim nicely, even if the felt is very flexible.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Russ, the wider the brim on a featherweight, the more it begs for reinforcement such as bound edge or welted edge to give it enough support without stiffening the heck out of it. I don't agree that 2 3/4 raw would work for everyone. I know Rabbit prefers the raw brim but also prefers a soft, often "wavy" brim on a panama so it becomes a matter of preference and personal style over 2 1/2".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points