Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

SteveAS

Practically Family
These beautiful spectators aren't mine, but they deserve a post in this thread!

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
NOS spades and unusual...they have got it all.

Yes! On the famous "Rex" last, which also was used for their wildly popular alligator derby saddle shoe. This is a 1950's version of the last. Stamped calf meant to have the ridges of sharkskin, but without the color variations that brown shark invariable has.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
You can use a leather cleaner on that, but there is the real danger that you will remove some of the white coloring as well... leaving the leather in that area looking "dirty".

You can give that a try, but the nature of the beast for specs is that the white is going to get scuffed and stained as you wear them. Character!~

View attachment 10926 View attachment 10926 View attachment 10927

Hi Folks

I would appreciate any cleaning tips for these spectators.
Thank you and best regards.

You can use a leather cleaner on that, but there is the real danger that you will remove some of the white coloring as well... leaving the leather in that area looking "dirty".

You can give that a try, but the nature of the beast for specs is that the white is going to get scuffed and stained as you wear them. Character!~

SO I simply clean them with character,,, to keep the character marks... I like it.. Thank you kind Sir!
Regards,

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
View attachment 10926 View attachment 10926 View attachment 10927

Hi Folks

I would appreciate any cleaning tips for these spectators.
Thank you and best regards.

Perhaps you can try some saddle soap, if you use a wash clothe and damp it then apply some saddle soap. Lightly wipe it off with clean water on same wash clothe. To make the shoe white again, I would use a cream paste shoe polish, not a shine wax. Real thin coats is what I have done on my Husband's shoes.

Whislerm

New in Town
If you can't get them to look as white as you'd like you can try Angelus Acrylic Leather Paint. I used it on a pair of old Florsheims, took some time to work around the edges with a small paint brush but they look brand new again. Not sure how good it is for the leather in the long run.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
If you can't get them to look as white as you'd like you can try Angelus Acrylic Leather Paint. I used it on a pair of old Florsheims, took some time to work around the edges with a small paint brush but they look brand new again. Not sure how good it is for the leather in the long run.

NOOOOOOOO! Never use this product. It coats the leather and cracks with time. I have passed on MANY a pair of vintage shoes because they used this product... and ruined them.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
NOOOOOOOO! Never use this product. It coats the leather and cracks with time. I have passed on MANY a pair of vintage shoes because they used this product... and ruined them.
I may be wrong but I don't believe CCJ's shoes are vintage or of a high quality, in which case I wouldn't hesitate using the Meltonian product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko