Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Style Reference in Vernacular Photographs

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Sarge said:
Old Pennsy Station Crew --- Monroeville, IN in 1925.
PennsyStationCrew.jpg

Are you sure that isn't henry fonda, second from right, posing with extras from the Grapes of wrath?:)

Or maybe it is Paul Numan

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Oh My Gosh!!! This High School Juniors pic is THE BEST! Our children are 13 and 15, so almost and basically the same age of these kids... This picture is a KEY element for myself and my husband in helping our kids create their vintage looks/style as we are doing primarily early 1940s for our family's vintage.

Thank you Sarge for posting these here. I so appreciate your efforts with this on FL.

There is a similar vein thread on the Powder Room running concurrently, called "Everyday Women of the Golden Era".

Sarge said:
Monroeville (Ind.) High School Junior Class 1941-42
MONROEVILLEHIGHSCHOOLJUNIORS.jpg

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Isn't it funny, chanteuse? Yesterday I brought home a 1939 yearbook from my daughter's school. She's a senior this year, and was shocked at how 'old' those seniors looked back then. Then this morning I showed it to a client, and her first question, upon seeing the senior section was, "so, this is the faculty?".

Warbaby

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Annual convention of the Nebraska Well Drillers Association, Lincoln, March 3-4, 1932.

Great illustration of the many suit and lapel styles being worn at the same time! I never realized the variety was so extensive. Plenty of different shirt collar styles as well. Also interesting that two of the guys in the front row are wearing spats with business suits.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Please scan in the freshman and senior pictures for us here!!

ThesFlishThngs said:
Isn't it funny, chanteuse? Yesterday I brought home a 1939 yearbook from my daughter's school. She's a senior this year, and was shocked at how 'old' those seniors looked back then. Then this morning I showed it to a client, and her first question, upon seeing the senior section was, "so, this is the faculty?".

Sarge

One of the Regulars
Here are some more school photos.

St. Louis Besancon Catholic School. Grades 5 & 6

Woodburn School (about 1920)

Class photo from St. Louis Besancon Catholic School.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
My great grandfather is third from left, in striped shirt. His father is next to him, with the whiskers, and the other young men are his brothers. This is circa 1915, 16.
3855477183_2a119bd72e_b.jpg

My dad, with a couple of girl friends. late 40s.
3855477169_834c045efb_o.jpg

My dad with a cousin, late 40s.
3855477159_4381cf6db7_o.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
Great illustration of the many suit and lapel styles being worn at the same time! I never realized the variety was so extensive. Plenty of different shirt collar styles as well. Also interesting that two of the guys in the front row are wearing spats with business suits.
Just a gathering of Cornhuskers...well, Cornhusker welldrillers. Some were obviously front-office types, while others are definitely of the sodbuster generation - big even-tempered guys who didn't talk much, but could work like mules and get all the way around a pork chop dinner before you could tie on your napkin.

As for their clothing, remember this definitely wasn't a group of city slickers. There were surely quite a few Sunday suits in the picture. And if any of these men had bought new duds since the late 20s, they wouldn't have cared to be called out on it. In the midwest of that generation, "You look swell" wasn't something you said to a man you respected.

Goes to show the standards of dress were fairly high in those days, if you could look this good without even paying attention. Even the guy in the coveralls looks tidy and respectable.

Sarge

One of the Regulars
The Fort Wayne Fire Department's 1927 Ahrens-Fox Pumper. Date 1944.

WOWO Radio-Interviewing nine young women, winnres of good citizenship awards. Date unknown.

WOWO RADIO- PRESIDENTS BIRTHDAY PARTY, VICTIMS OF INFANTILE PARALYSIS SPEAKING THEIR OWN THOUGHTS

Drew B

One of the Regulars
hot damn folks.... keep em coming!

it's real good quality and its great... I'm just archiving every single photo in a 'vernacular' folder

also good to see folk that know what the word really means.

Cheers,
Drew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto