Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Suits Reproductions

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Thank You all for even commenting on this thread, i hope it does not die. BTW, can anybody fill me on why they stop producing heavier cloths.

The desire for heavier cloths diminished as houses became better insulated and heated. And economics - less wool means more profit. And fashion. And the need for wool to be able to compete with man-made fabrics. And probably a million other factors that an economist could explain.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
i don't like the term reproductions when it comes to suits, because i think a reproduction will only ever be a pale imitation of something better.

What phrase would you use? How about 'vintage inspired'? Or does that just make a suit sound like it has borrowed the approximate styling? What about 'copy'? That suggests that you accept that you cannot recreate the cloth and construction completely, but that you are attempting to get as close as possible within your budget.

As HBK notes the concept was progress. The concept is to sell less wool which is some what the raw material most suit fabric is made from. The mills made the wool yarn / thread finer and finer so that the count per inch became higher. A long time ago there were say Super 80's then 100 and up the count climbs. The sheep are bred to produce the wool and so on. Here is an article that poses a positive spin but give some good information.

http://www.mycustomclothing.com/customtailor/The_Numbers_Game_What_Does_Super_Wool_Mean.htm

However with each step to higher counts the gain in some area represents a loss in others. Poor drape - how it hangs, wrinkling and wearing out faster seems to accompany the higher counts.

The desire for heavier cloths diminished as houses became better insulated and heated. And economics - less wool means more profit. And fashion. And the need for wool to be able to compete with man-made fabrics. And probably a million other factors that an economist could explain.

Actually while the super woolens are lighter in weight the weave is much tighter and they breathe poorly compared to the looser weave of the old fabric. Many will till you they get more hot and sweaty in the new supers then the old vintage fabrics.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
modern man has been sold a lie; that he will prefer soft-to-the-touch, lightweight, flimsy suiting fabric because it is somehow more luxurious.
modern man doesn't know any better because he's too young to remember the alternative.
show modern man some real suit fabrics from his grandfathers's closet and modern man might experience something of an epiphany.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Back onto the subject of heavier weight fabrics: many years ago I was lamenting the lack of very heavy cotton. My trouser maker came up with a rather ingenious solution. She contacted sailmakers. They had the very heavy cottons that I wanted for my trousers. I don't know that would still work (this was 20 years ago).

Hershy

New in Town
modern man has been sold a lie; that he will prefer soft-to-the-touch, lightweight, flimsy suiting fabric because it is somehow more luxurious.
modern man doesn't know any better because he's too young to remember the alternative.
show modern man some real suit fabrics from his grandfathers's closet and modern man might experience something of an epiphany.

I assume, they are lined to not itch?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Do you know the weight and the colours?

these are the first four of about forty.

7007953303_dcb586d9f5_b.jpg

6861837714_a3e148d963_b.jpg

6861835400_a983b79e1a_b.jpg

6861836152_1115dc61a8_b.jpg

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Doesn't look so spectacular to me. J&J Minnis has some similar flannels in their current book, and at 16 oz. in a decent weight, too. Fox must have numerous spectacular designs from the Golden Era and before that are utterly unavailable today. I'd like to see some of those.

I guess Michael Alden makes quite a bit of money with the fabrics. I believe he's kind of the classic middle man. I appreciate that he goes through all the trouble of actually designing fabrics not available anywhere else. But at £100 per meter these fabrics are not an option for most Loungers. If we as Loungers would be able to get enough commissions we could do the same with Fox and have some beautiful fabrics made for about half the price I guess. I suppose the biggest obstacle would be to get enough commissions from Loungers.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up

The brown striped wool is about as classic British suiting as you can imagine. I adore it.

And i can just imagine the look of absolute disapproval on the face of Mrs Two Types if I was to appear wearing a three piece suit cut from that. I can just hear you shouting: "You look like a geography teacher!"

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Well, let's hope he's unearthing some fantastic stuff and not just normal pin stripes and the like. The brown fabric is somewhat unusual after today's standards, to be fair. Hardly anybody wears brown suits anymore. But back in the day this fabric would have been nothing special at all.

And he's having forty different fabrics recreated? That's some serious money he's taking in his hands there.

Hershy

New in Town

7007953303_dcb586d9f5_b.jpg

6861837714_a3e148d963_b.jpg

6861836152_1115dc61a8_b.jpg

I would love it if one of them were a plain navy wool. Possibly heavier suits with full canvas, lining and all those goodies would produce the suits of our forefathers. Not that i don't appreciate a super 180 (no need to rid of anyone.) I just think they serve different purposes. Any who, I hope Alden rolls this out to every J Press, Brooks brothers and Savile Row Tailor.

Hershy

New in Town
if all you want is plain navy you won't have any trouble at all. Fox already do it.

Where can i find this magical awesome cloth. I reckon it wont be in a J Press or Brooks Brothers.
Then Again Herringbonekid, Do you think that J Press or Brooks Brothers are still like they were Before 1980 or so. And Do you think Lighter cloths like(super 180s) have a place in sunny, warmer areas?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Where can i find this magical awesome cloth. I reckon it wont be in a J Press or Brooks Brothers.

at Fox Flannel. by the metre. ;)

Then Again Herringbonekid, Do you think that J Press or Brooks Brothers are still like they were Before 1980 or so.

no.

And Do you think Lighter cloths like(super 180s) have a place in sunny, warmer areas?

possibly, but personally i prefer linen and cotton for summer wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112