Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

...Itinerant con men and hucksters seem not to be as common in real life as they used to be, probably because they've all moved to the Internet.

Agreed. Granted my life is different now, but there was much more "street" action - shady deals, grey market stuff, general hustling, etc. - that did seem to fade as the Internet came on in the second half of the '90s.

... One day I walked into the office to see the walls lined with cheap stereo equipment -- apparently some guy in a truck showed up and sold him all this stuff promising BIG PROFITS if we carried the line. Didn't work out that way, and I always sort of suspected the stuff was hot anyway.

Itinerant con men and hucksters seem not to be as common in real life as they used to be, probably because they've all moved to the Internet.

An audiophile of my acquaintance informs me that his fellow stereo buffs refer to that sort of stuff as "white van" gear, because it is (or was) typically peddled by hucksters in generic white cargo vans. And it's almost surely not what the seller represents it to be. Point to almost any example of it, this friend informs me, and If it's of even mediocre quality he would be surprised.

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
As a kid in the late '60s/'70s, adults regularly had me get them a pack from the vending machine. Which - at least the most common one I remember - had a substantial round handle that you pulled out (took a bit of effort - no digital push pad) and, after a loud clunk, the cigarette pack plunked down and slid out of the metal shelf at the bottom. You'd hand the pack over to the adult who would "pack it down" with a few meaningful smacks on a table or counter top and they were good to go. There was, to my memory, no controls / oversight for age on those machines.

I remember a variation where the proprietor - usually in a gas station or restaurant- had to press a button under the counter to activate the vending machine, lest the underage be able to buy packs.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's a relatively recent innovation, I would think -- the cig machines of my memory were purely mechanical. The same type of locking-slide mechanism was used in our candy machine, a six-foot-tall extravagance that vended "Tom's" products.

toms-vending-machine-snack-candy_1_e7f5b3706a81ece434b9fe566e0ece9f.jpg

Not our actual machine, which long ago rolled off to the Great Scrapyard, but it was identical to this unit. The "Sandwiches" referred to on the ad glass were NAB-like peanut butter-cheese cracker deals. Like our cigarette machine, this device was retired when its coin mechanism was made obsolete by inflation in the early 1970s. It had settings for a nickel or a dime, but not both. I loved this machine because the coin sounded like it was dropping into a very deep well when it it the coin box, and it made a very satisfying chunk-clunk when you pulled out the handle for your choice. The toasted peanuts, however, were usually rancid. "Whaddaya want for a dime, go wan home now, ya botterin' me."

This is pretty much the one I remember as a kid. Nothing fancy, mainly mechanical and, as Lizzie noted, very satisfying sounds both when the coin went in and when you tugged (and it needed a tug) on the round pull-out knob to choose your pack. Also, as with most of the vending machines of that time, the "coin return" feature - a "sliding" metal lever - if something went wrong (say they were out of your selection) was dicey at best. You never really expected to get all your money back - it was all part of the game.

We had exactly that type of machine at the gas station -- a low-slung brown-painted metal thing that looked like a piece of industrial equipment. There was a window on the front behind which were displayed dummy packs of Camels, Lucky Strikes, Chesterfields, Winstons, and Salems. These packs were actually wooden blocks with pack wrappers glued around them, and were yellowed and faded from being in the sun for twenty years...
The last company I worked for still had one of these machines sitting near the Customer Service/loading dock area when they closed the doors in 2005. It hadn't been serviced in well over a decade--emptied of cigarettes and coins whenever the vendor had last visited the facility--and we all assumed he decided it was easier to leave it there for the company to dispose of rather than haul it off himself. It was a drab, sun faded, weathered relic of a fading era, but it had it's own charm in an odd sort of way.

The last company I worked for still had one of these machines sitting near the Customer Service/loading dock area when they closed the doors in 2005. It hadn't been serviced in well over a decade--emptied of cigarettes and coins whenever the vendor had last visited the facility--and we all assumed he decided it was easier to leave it there for the company to dispose of rather than haul it off himself. It was a drab, sun faded, weathered relic of a fading era, but it had it's own charm in an odd sort of way.

And it's now collectible.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
The Japanese have vending machines for everything. For your own peace of mind, it's best not to look into some of the things they vend. The Japanese are also the world's champion sexual fetishists.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Something that was a common sight when I was young was "Carriage steps." Already long obsolete by the '50s, they were small stone, brick or concrete steps, just two or three, set by the curb usually in front prominent houses. Decades earlier, horse-drawn carriages would pull up by them, and passengers would use them to step into the carriages. Sometimes they featured ornate carving. I don't remember when I last saw any.

Something that was a common sight when I was young was "Carriage steps." Already long obsolete by the '50s, they were small stone, brick or concrete steps, just two or three, set by the curb usually in front prominent houses. Decades earlier, horse-drawn carriages would pull up by them, and passengers would use them to step into the carriages. Sometimes they featured ornate carving. I don't remember when I last saw any.

I recall old hitching posts out by the cobblestone streets in the older, one-time grander districts.

Interesting, thanks! I never heared of this, before. :)

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here

There are still a few in my town.

Haversack

One Too Many
In some of the neighborhoods in Portland, Oregon, there are still loose steel rings set into the curb for the purpose of tying up a horse. The neighborhood I remember seeing them a lot was around SE Hawthorne east of the Bagdad Theater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto