Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Even the most menial looking jobs require the development of skills in order to be successful. Many people think of service jobs as these types of jobs.

The most glaringly absent skill in these jobs is the absence of a positive attitude. So many people, especially young people, can make a customer feel like he has three heads in the way that they present a completely indifferent attitude. How much effort does it take to be nice? If you're so miserable, try being nice, and see how much better you feel.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Ha ha ha a while back I stopped by a local auto parts store on a Saturday morning. I won't say the guy behind the counter was green but I have T shirts older than he is. I asked for some feathering disc adhesive and all he could think of to say was 'never heard of it'. I thought now there is a well with no bottom. Let's not get started on all the things you don't know, I haven't got all day. I tried to tell him what it was and where to find it but he wasn't interested.

OK, it's your store. I left and haven't been back. For a long time I resisted ordering parts online, I would rather a local guy got the money even if it costs me extra. Not anymore.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ha ha ha a while back I stopped by a local auto parts store on a Saturday morning. I won't say the guy behind the counter was green but I have T shirts older than he is. I asked for some feathering disc adhesive and all he could think of to say was 'never heard of it'. I thought now there is a well with no bottom. Let's not get started on all the things you don't know, I haven't got all day. I tried to tell him what it was and where to find it but he wasn't interested.

OK, it's your store. I left and haven't been back. For a long time I resisted ordering parts online, I would rather a local guy got the money even if it costs me extra. Not anymore.

As a gearhead I too have never heard of feathering disc adhesive but the name alone tells me it would probably be in only one or two places in the store if they stock it. It would either be on the shelf with other aerosol cans or in the body work section.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
In auto body shops they use a power sander called an orbital sander. It has a round rubber pad 6 inches in diameter to which you attach a piece of sandpaper.

These round pieces of sandpaper were called feathering discs because they are used to feather the edges of broken paint. When you grind off the paint to do a repair you must smooth and blend the rough edge of the paint before applying new primer and paint.

You used to glue the paper discs on with a special glue called feathering disc adhesive. The discs and adhesive are made by the well known 3M company among others.

This glue is made to hold the disc in place but peel off without leaving residue like a post it note.

The newest discs come with adhesive already on them but you can still buy the adhesive. I prefer to cut discs from sandpaper sheets because I don't use very many, if I buy a whole box of discs I will never use them up before the glue dries out and becomes useless.

3M feathering disc adhesive

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...ing-Disc-Adhesive?N=5002385+3293083897&rt=rud

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
If you work in the body shop trade and don't know what feathering disc adhesive is, it would be something like not knowing what paint or sandpaper were. It is something you use every day or at least was until a few years ago. I will admit, they seldom use it anymore and that is the point. This particular clerk was green enough that he didn't remember that far back and maybe had never been asked for it BUT they still stock it, it is still available, he was too ignorant to look it up.

The older days, even the 90s, far from hygienics-delusion.

When you have to take a short-trip/business-trip or things like this and another part-taking person asks you, if you got packed all you need and you just open your breast-pocket, show your shortened toothbrush and say: "I'm ready!" ;););)

^^^^^
A text message exchange on Saturday with a longtime friend who now resides 1,300 miles distant included the suggestion he hop in his car and come help us polish off the potato salad and bratwurst and corn on the cob, etc.

We've known each other since the days when such a suggestion would have been issued and received seriously.

I can remember when a weekend trip to Las Vegas meant throwing a few things in a shopping bag and hitting the road. Now my wife would pack three suitcases, a smallish duffle bag, and all of her jackets because "you just never know what you're going to need". :rolleyes:

With a few exceptions (a wedding that called for a ridiculous amount of clothing), I've never checked a bag on flight and, in general, a medium-sized backpack can cover me for many days. I knew I was onto something good when super girlfriend and I first started traveling together and she packed as lightly as I do. Prior to SGF, several women I dated thought travel meant you packed up half your possessions to have with you for the next week.

I have done several two-night business trip with only my briefcase (see below) that I did have to put some work related materials in that filled, sometimes, about a third of it. I wore the same suit (basic grey) and shoes and just changed shirts, socks, underwear and tie.

I was traveling with my boss - we arrived separately but left the same morning on the same flight. He practically freaked out when he saw that I only had my briefcase. It took me a few minutes to convince him I didn't have another piece of luggage. He told that "story" for several years as he couldn't believe I did it. I, sincerely, don't think it's that hard - although, kudos to Lizzie for stretching it to three.

My only fear is if something really did happen to the suit, I'd be in trouble. But what the heck, it's worth the gamble to travel light.

c3ddfeedb1709095ee66414bb371a383--grains-brother.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was filming a TV appearance, and so only needed one outfit -- which I wore on the plane. I did have to bring a bunch of reference material, including a huge, thick binder, along with my laptop, changes of underwear, toiletries, and a cotton nightgown which I compressed into a very small square.

I did end up splitting a side seam out of the briefcase -- a military-surplus expanding leather model -- which I had to stitch up again when I got home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points