Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

There have been several incarnations of cheese in a shaving cream can. Kraft has one that they call Easy Cheese. A similar thing that I have not had for many years is a cheese product in a jar called Cheese Whiz
If you go to Philadelphia, many of the cheesesteak places serve them with Cheez Whiz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Mr. Nantus

New in Town
Gosh! To have grown up with nothing but Velveeta! My grandparents' First Avenue ( Yorkville) background assured that we always had a good variety of delicatessen in the ice box.

I still eat limburger, but dearly miss that delight of delights which was made extinct by the Kraft company some thirty years since: Liederkranz cheese. Oh, to taste once again Liederkranz on a Uneeda Biscuit...
I too like limburger with raw onion on rye bread !

How about the busy signal on a telephone. Now that a lot of people have cell phones everything has voicemail. No more beep-beep-beep-beep when you make a phone call and someone is already talking to the person you called.

Steven
Similarly, the sound you'd hear if you left the receiver off of the cradle after the call had been disconnected. I had forgotten all about it until I saw it in a movie tonight.

Think outhouse of some long standing on a hot summer day.
Got it. So, not really worth tracking down just for the experience? :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We still have that off-the-hook warning here, and I've always hated it. In the days of mechanical switching, you could leave the receiver off the hook all day if you didn't want to be bothered by calls.

I miss the sound of the mechanical dial tone, which was sort of a high, scratchy buzz as opposed to the electronic DMTF dial tone you get now. This guy shows you how it was done:

Neat video, but I imagine the Hotel Pennsylvania wants its phone back.

We still have that off-the-hook warning here, and I've always hated it. In the days of mechanical switching, you could leave the receiver off the hook all day if you didn't want to be bothered by calls...
We might still have it here too, but as far back as I can remember our phones had a switch on the bottom so you could turn the ringer off if you didn't want to be disturbed, so leaving the receiver off of the cradle wasn't necessary.

Haversack

One Too Many
I seem to recall tell of a telephone prank that was occasionally pulled in a particular college dorm back in the mid-'70s. The prank was called 'green wiring' and involved disconnecting a particular wire inside the body of the telephone. What this accomplished was that when called, the phone would continue to ring regardless of it being hung up. The prank could compounded by 'penny-locking' the dorm room door shut from the outside thus trapping the victim in a room with a telephone that would not stop ringing. It seems redundant to add that the dorm this prank was associated with was full of agriculture and electrical engineering majors.

I seem to recall tell of a telephone prank that was occasionally pulled in a particular college dorm back in the mid-'70s. The prank was called 'green wiring' and involved disconnecting a particular wire inside the body of the telephone. What this accomplished was that when called, the phone would continue to ring regardless of it being hung up. The prank could compounded by 'penny-locking' the dorm room door shut from the outside thus trapping the victim in a room with a telephone that would not stop ringing. It seems redundant to add that the dorm this prank was associated with was full of agriculture and electrical engineering majors.
[emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Just Jim

A-List Customer
All good fun, except games like that tend to lead to conversations that start out with the Nice Man in the Deputy's Uniform asking me to explain what I was doing hanging off the side of the dorm, six stories up--and how much had I had to drink that night, anyhow?

Thats a shame. I grew up eating Neccos. Easter Bunny brought me some this year, as he does every year. Childhood in a roll.

Neccos were - even as a kid - an acquired taste (today, I just like that they exist in their old-fashioned wax wrapper) - but Clark Bars and Sweethearts are two candies that I think would have enough of a market that some large candy conglomerate would buy and add to its stable - - which might still happen.

Last edited:

3fingers

One Too Many
I have a roll of Neccos sitting on my desk right now. For a long time they were a major supplier of theatre boxed candy, until Nestle muscled them out of that business, and they still are a primary supplier of bulk "penny candy" for those few remaning outlets that carry such.
Not a fan of Necco wafers bt my sister ate my share when we were kids. Clark bars and Zagnuts were my favorites to get from Harry and Mike at the Shell station in town.
If there is any justice in the afterlife Nestle has it's own circle of hell.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

Then there's always pulling the cord out of the wall.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not a fan of Necco wafers bt my sister ate my share when we were kids. Clark bars and Zagnuts were my favorites to get from Harry and Mike at the Shell station in town.
If there is any justice in the afterlife Nestle has it's own circle of hell.

If you dislike Nestle that much I urge you to not look up what the state od Michigan just allowed them to do.

3fingers

One Too Many
If you dislike Nestle that much I urge you to not look up what the state od Michigan just allowed them to do.
I'm somewhat familiar with Nestles water deal. As much as it disgusts me the agency didn't really have any option but to approve the permit. They don't have the power to say no and the likelihood of the legislature giving them that ability runs between slim and none.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112