• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Vintage trains

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by Blackthorn, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Blackthorn

Blackthorn My Mail is Forwarded Here

I love trains, always have, and in the last year I have seen some interesting ones. Some nice, some ugly and deserted, but all could tell an interesting story if they could talk:

Last year in Railtown 1897, Jamestown, CA. This train has been in some Hollywood movies:

[​IMG]

and yours truly looking out the window of that train:

[​IMG]

a couple of weeks ago I was here:

[​IMG]

and even though the place was closed, I got a few pics, some at odd angles thru the fence:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Paradise, CA, the small train museum there in an old depot:

[​IMG]

philosophygirl78 likes this.
  2. Blackthorn

These were in this museum:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Blackthorn

[​IMG]

My wife is claiming to be baggage. NOT true, lol:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a hobo jumping onto a freight car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  4. Blackthorn

And last but not least, a engine and a freight car, relics of the past in my small town. They are plug ugly, but I like them because of that. They have "warts and all" history:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 1930artdeco

1930artdeco A-List Customer

Blackthorn,

Do they still have the cab forward at the state museum? That was and is my favorite train. It is like a street car on steroids.

Mike

6. Blackthorn

Mike, I'm not sure what a cab forward is. I'm thinking...I know there were other exhibits that I didn't get to, so my guess is that they do. I live an hour and a half north of this museum, so I don't get down there much, or I'd check it out for you.

7. GHT

GHT My Mail is Forwarded Here

Blackthorn, my first thoughts were, you must be a train aficionado, I too enjoy that mode of travel, and somehow that evocative smell of oil and water, that is a steam train is just magical. It broke my heart to learn that not one of your beautiful art deco inspired steam engines were preserved in some sort of museum. They were either scrapped, or ended up rusting in the siding of a private buyer, who, with good intention, intended to restore it, but as always the case, there just wasn't enough bucks to complete the dream.

One of my favourite visits to your country, was when we stayed at the old Chatanooga Station, now a hotel. The hotel rooms were sleeper cars, all lined up, as if ready to leave for who knows where. But that was twenty years ago, I do hope that Chatanooga Station survived.

On our side of the pond, we had a big restructure in the early 1960's when 11,000 miles of track and their stations were closed. But many an enthusiast got together and ressurected some of those derilect lines, so that today we have an amazing number of what is refered to as: Heritage lines. You can have a look at how many and where they are: by clicking on this link. but best of all, save your pennies, and come on over to Europe and the UK for a rail buff's vacation. Put it on your bucket list of things to do before you die.

8. Blackthorn

Very interesting, GHT! Thanks for that link!

A couple of weeks ago as we drove home from the Oregon trip where I got some of the above pics, we saw a village near the road where they bought a number of cabooses and turned them into hotel rooms. That will be our next item on the bucket list locally.

My wife and I were just talking this morning about maybe coming over to Europe and visiting Amsterdam, Berlin, Warsaw and Belgium, via train. It may take us a couple of years to set it up, but we are going to start doing research. What a great adventure that will be!

Over the years I have ridden on trains in China (many times), Spain, Morocco, and Ireland. It was those experiences that made me love them.

Back here in the states, even in the last year I have seen a number of vintage trains that I didn't have time (or the good weather) to photograph. So as experience allows, I'll add to this thread, and I hope many others of you will, also.

9. GHT

GHT My Mail is Forwarded Here

10. SP Cab Forward -- The cab forward design was to keep train crews from being overcome by smoke in long tunnels.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  11. Blackthorn

12. Blackthorn

Ah, excellent, thank you V.C. Now I understand, and will look for it the next time I'm in Sacramento.

13. DesertDan

DesertDan One Too Many

Great pics Blackthorn!
    I love trains, especially the old Streamliners.
    Lord, the things we have lost. :(

14. Blackthorn

So true, Dan. Thanks for the kind words!

15. I love trains, too, Blackthorn...the UP "Big Boy" 4000-series 4-8-8-4 being my favorite, all-time steam engine. Here's some pics from a few years ago in Steamtown, Scranton, PA, where No. 4012 is in display...

IM000920.JPG

IM000922.JPG

IM000938.JPG

The best news is this: UP has re-acquired No. 4014 from California, and is in the process of restoring her to operational condition in their Wyoming shops...seeing this thing "live" and in the flesh is high on my bucket list, for sure! ;)

http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2014/05/09/news/19local_05-09-14.txt#.U9MYu1f5lCA

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=479640

Rob

16. buelligan

buelligan One of the Regulars

Heres a 30 minute long video of UP Big Boy 4014 coming home. That would have been one heck of an experience.

[video=youtube;fLDbPvXgnwE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLDbPvXgnwE[/video]

17. Blackthorn

Great pics, Rob, and Thanks for that video, Beulligan, very cool!

18. Frk.W

Frk.W New in Town

I'll bite! I like trains and other forms of rail transport, and do railway-related things every now and then. In September I'm going in the annual vintage train journey to the Swedish national railway museum in Gävle, which is always fun, and this year the train will be drawn by the only surviving, still functioning steam F class locomotive in Sweden, the largest nationally produced steam engine, which pulled express trains from 1914-16 to the mid- to late 1930's, when they hade been all but replaced by electrical engines and were sold to Denmark. Sweden was electrified early. This particular locomotive, F1200, also has the dubious honour of being the one involved in the worst train crash in Sweden, in 1918. It was repaired and did a number of years in service after the accident, before being sold and later bought back to Sweden by the museum.

argangstaget13-01.jpg

Third class passenger car, 1930's.

argangstaget13-08.jpg

1950's second class interior.

argangstaget13-15.jpg

From left an O class electrical locomotive, 1940's, freshly renovated and functional, originally from a smaller regional railway company; the orange one is the 1950's express Ra class engine that pulled our train from Stockholm to Gävle and back, and various vintage passenger cars.

226181_2333928386491_4442146_n.jpg

Better photo of another Ra class express locomotive. These were built in Sweden from 1955 on and were in use to the 1990's. Ten were built and at least five or six of them are owned, maintained and run by museums and vintage railway organisations today.

289061_2335174417641_2508864_o.jpg

Interior of a 1935 dining car, still in use by a vintage railway organisation. We volunteered as serving staff in this one.

roslagsveteranen-01.jpg

One of the local public transport lines in Stockholm do regular outings with their vintage vehicles every now and then. Narrow gauge EMU, 891 mm, 1920's, with wood paneling(!).

malmkoping-08.jpg

We did a gig with the fife and drum corps in a small town that has a vintage tram line. Went along with the tram for a bit, jumped off and played a couple of tunes on the platform, hopped on again and so on. Trams are fun too.

19. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Practically Family

I Love the old steam trains, the sounds and smells can not be matched really by modern diesels or electrics. As another poster has mentioned we do have a fair number of preserved old branch lines run by volunteers where you can still ride on a steam train here in the UK. The older carriages are in many ways far more comfortable than modern rolling stock. there are also some special charter steam trains that run on the main lines and to travel on one of these is a lovely experience if all goes to plan. Seeing the reaction of passengers awaiting regular trains when one of these steam specials rushes through the railway stations is quite interesting too, total surprise and then a smile.

20. Blackthorn

WOW, I love these pictures, Frk. W!!! Excellent!