Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage trains

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I got a chance to move all those engines at Railtown (Jamestown, CA) around for a film that I was working on. One of the most exciting nights of my life. I wish I'd had a camera but we were working so hard I probably wouldn't have had time to shoot any photos. It takes a long time to boil up a cold engine even with a 'draft' (air fitting) to get it burning hotter and more evenly faster. They take a fantastic amount of maintenance. That round house, engine shop, still has equipment that runs off of leather belts driven by a drive shaft from the ceiling!

That would have been a night to remember!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I first posted this old photo in the "Vintage Family Photos" thread, but then found this thread about vintage trains and thought it would be equally interesting here.

This is a photo of my great uncle Briscoe C. Brown (standing on the left on the front of the locomotive). I feel sure the photo was taken sometime between 1912 and 1920. Since I first posted this picture (and also on my Facebook page), I got some more information. One of my friends who is knowledgeable about railroad history said the following:

"This may actually be a picture of your great uncle while he served during WW 1. Baldwin Locomotives built a number of locomotives in the 2-8-0 configuration for the US Army to serve in England and France. The locomotives were designated as Pershings. ..." Another friend, also knowledgeable on railroad history, said he had never seen an American locomotive with a bumper device like the one in the photo.

Doing some more research on my great uncle Briscoe, I discovered he joined the Army at age 18 in 1909 and served a three year tour. His military record indicates he was an "attendant" at the State Hospital in Iowa at the time of his enlistment. The 1910 US Census has him as a private in the Army stationed in New York. He was discharged in 1912, and returned to civilian life until he was drafted in 1917. His draft card in 1917 indicates he was a "freight engineer". I know he went to France during the Great War, as I have a letter he wrote shortly after arriving there. After the War, he again returned to working at the State Hospital, where he is recorded in the 1920 US Census as an "attendant.".

Given all this, the old photo may very well be a photo of my great uncle Briscoe during the Great War. Any information or insight the experts here can give would be greatly appreciated.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
When I was stationed at Ft. Ord (long ago) we went to Santa Cruz and rode the Roaring Camp RR. Nice trip through the redwoods.

Sad to say, in all the years I lived in the bay area, I never rode that train. I get down there from time to time, so I plan to rectify that oversight.

Sad to say, in all the years I lived in the bay area, I never rode that train. I get down there from time to time, so I plan to rectify that oversight.

On a related note, I remember when I was a young lad, my parents took me to ride the Skunk train up in Fort Bragg. The damned thing broke down and left us hanging in the woods for about an hour or so until they could get an engine out to us. lol lol My father and I got off and picked blackberries that were near the tracks. :p No use waiting and being hungry. :p
http://www.skunktrain.com/

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
On a related note, I remember when I was a young lad, my parents took me to ride the Skunk train up in Fort Bragg. The damned thing broke down and left us hanging in the woods for about an hour or so until they could get an engine out to us. lol lol My father and I got off and picked blackberries that were near the tracks. :p No use waiting and being hungry. :p
http://www.skunktrain.com/

Another one added to my bucket list!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn, you might enjoy a search around this site. It's full of posters from the early 20th century, the golden age of steam trains. If you scroll down the home page, you will see a reference to 'The Belles.' These were fast, luxurious trains that ran from London to the popular resorts of England's south coast. The site is a delight to aficionados of vintage train travel.

Blackthorn, you might enjoy a search around this site. It's full of posters from the early 20th century, the golden age of steam trains. If you scroll down the home page, you will see a reference to 'The Belles.' These were fast, luxurious trains that ran from London to the popular resorts of England's south coast. The site is a delight to aficionados of vintage train travel.

Hmmmmm... when does the next rain leave for Exmouth? :eyebrows:
exmouthlargea.jpeg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Since it London, the next RAIN could leave at any moment! :rain:
Come on, Stearman, have you actually lived in London? Or are you garnering your knowledge of London's weather from images of Wimbledon?
For as Samuel Johnson once remarked:
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

Johnson wrote much about London,

"Sir, if you wish to have a just notion of the magnitude of this city, you must not be satisfied with seeing its great streets and squares, but must survey the innumerable little lanes and courts. It is not in the showy evolutions of buildings, but in the multiplicity of human habitations which are crowded together, that the wonderful immensity of London consists."

http://average-rainfall.findthebest.com/d/d/Colorado as much as 32.82 inches of rain per year, compared to London's 24 inches of rain per year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London ( Despite its reputation as being a rainy city, London receives less precipitation (with 601 mm (24 in) in a year)

I know that you were tongue in cheek, but you would be surprised just how clement London's climate is. Come on over and see, the London loungers would love to have you at one of their monthly meet-ups.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Come on, Stearman, have you actually lived in London? Or are you garnering your knowledge of London's weather from images of Wimbledon?
For as Samuel Johnson once remarked:

Johnson wrote much about London,

http://average-rainfall.findthebest.com/d/d/Colorado as much as 32.82 inches of rain per year, compared to London's 24 inches of rain per year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London ( Despite its reputation as being a rainy city, London receives less precipitation (with 601 mm (24 in) in a year)

I know that you were tongue in cheek, but you would be surprised just how clement London's climate is. Come on over and see, the London loungers would love to have you at one of their monthly meet-ups.

I think there is something off on those numbers. As you can see, none of our major cities gets above 17.40, and that is total participation, which includes snow. Also, we just came out of a 14 year drought. Remember, no water flows into Colorado! The Colorado River alone supplies seven states and part of Mexico with water. http://coolweather.net/staterainfall/colorado.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ