Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Weddings

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
I figured somebody needed to kick off the conversation in here, and it might as well be me.

My husband Craig and I just got married this June, and we had a semi-vintage wedding. He's a big band singer who also loves blues, and we actually held our ceremony in the middle of one of his outdoor concerts, in front of several hundred friends and strangers. The groom wore a custom-made faux leopard fur tux jacket, and the band was outfitted in black bowling shirts with flames. We bought matching black-and-white men's '50s-style shirts for my father and Craig's best man (also his step-dad), and the flower girls were in poodle skirts. You can see some snaps here: www.craigandleslie.com/gallery.

So tell me, gals, has anyone else here gotten hitched vintage-style? I know of a couple gals who did a 1940s USO theme, and friends of mine in San Fran did kind of a Rat Pack-meets-Elvis in Blue Hawaii theme. I'd love to hear others' stories of their wedding day!

Hugs & blessings,
The Bingstress

normal_Dad_Les%26Craigentering.jpg

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I know that this is a section for the ladies, but sombodys got to serve drinks!:D My gal and I are planning a vintage wedding for this coming May aboard the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach. We're tying the knot in the ship's chapel and then heading up to Sir Winston's resteraunt for a 30s-40s style, supper club reception. We originally were going to have a much larger reception in the Queen's Salon amidship, but since neither of our families are royality and we're paying for it ourselves, we decided to scale things down a bit.
Being the groom, I'm not privy to what the bridesmaids are doing, but I do know that they are going to be wearing red dresses and have make-up and hair from the era. My groomsmen and I will be in white dinner jackets with black bowties and slacks. The guests are going to be encouraged to join in on the fun and I hope that a least some of them do.
We're still on the lookout for a band that can play a good mix of swing and standards, that will fit our budget. I can GUARANTEE that there will be no music played that doesn't fit the theme or else I will personally throw the offender overboard!
It's been fun to plan so far and the art deco setting really sets the mood.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Well darn, PBG. I know for a fact that the Elvis impersonator in the Lounge was really looking forward to doing your gig. Man, is HE going to be disappointed. I know MK put in a special word with the QM management to made sure he could make it too, as we ALL know how big a fan MK is!:( LOL Congratulations to both you, your fiance, and to Bingstress!!! My wife and I are on 28+ years and counting! High regards. Michaelson

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
I sure appreciate the enthusiasm and the good wishes, but what's with all these guys bargin' into the ladies' room?!

That's it. Next time I'm at Taco Bueno, I'm using the men's lavatory. The line's always shorter. ;)

-The Bingstress

P.S. Big Guy, your nuptial plans sound fab! Please keep us posted, and be sure to post pics when all is said and done.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In Europe they dont care, rock concerts here!

Heck, when we used to go to concerts (rock) ok (when I was 19) at the Oakland Coliseum, the line to the ladies room was...well long. The gals would come in to the men's room and be met with very loud cheers, and given "the best seat" in the houseLOL LOL

OK you Men get out of the WOMANS room!;)

LaMedicine

One Too Many
:eek:Oh, geez...

I agree with Bingstress, can't you guys give us with the double X chromosomes some elbow room here?

If you NEED to be in the know, could you PLEASE do us the courtesy of having your
wives/daughters/fiancees/girlfriends/partners(business or otherwise)/friends and buddies who just happened to have the double Xs join us instead?
Or, start a new thread elsewhere?
Maybe even a new forum to the likes of "Queue outside the Powder Room" or, how about "Bluebeard's Lounge"?

How else are we gonna get some good to honest girl talk done?
Do you want your wives and girlfriends end up nagging you 'cause they can't get any girl talk done?

Oops, gotta run right now.
I was going to write about weddings, but that'll have to keep till later.
See ya all LADIES later!
Ta-taLOL

LaMedicine

One Too Many
I wanted to be back earlier, but what a distance I had to run...
I've no intentions of throwing a high handed shoe at anyone, I just figured with all the guy talk going around in many of the other threads, some of the ladies might feel shy coming in, even in here, if all the gentlemen were pressing to get inside. Some of you've got some nice wedding pics of yourselves up elsewhere, where everyone can see, and they're all lovely, may I say.

Anyway, weddings.
This isn't mine, it was my niece's.
I don't know if this counts as vintage, but it certainly was unique, not a package tour, and not something where everyone moves along to the instructions of the wedding coordinator, and I've attended plenty of that kind, and excuse me, but they can be downright boring at times.

This April, she got married in Hawaii with family and friends flying in from both sides of the Pacific, plus some who flew over two oceans and the continent in-between.
With this one, everything was planned meticulously by the couple, and many of us pitched in to help them set everything up.
Thanks to the modern era of the internet, e-mails were flying all over, from the US to Asia to Europe, for ideas on just about everything.
The rehearsal dinner was at a luau, complete with dragnet fishing on the beach, ritual killing and barbecue of a pig, all for the show, mind you, along with hula lessons. A nice family picture thrown into this.
The service was officiated by a minister who wore an Aloha shirt, and he performed the ceremony in three languages, the native tongues of the bride and the groom, and Hawaiian. Finally, the couple recited their vows to each other in French, their daily language. At the party afterwards, they had a Hawaiian band, but it was the kids, three two year-olds who were the ring boy and the flower girls who join in on the stage and stole the show.
Later on, I even saw a lady in a kimono dancing the jitterbug!
The bride and groom were a handsome couple, and so happy, their joy flowed into our hearts as well.

Then, in June, I was invited to a friends' wedding which was wonderful, too. Here again, a lot of friends worked to help the couple, and the wedding was blessed by the loudest boom of approval Heaven could give. Thunder and lightening! The couple here were just as lovely as the other in Hawaii, and just as happy, it was such a joy just to watch them.

Both weddings were very touching, and it reminded me, vintage or no, what weddings should be.
An occasion that everyone can share in the happiness and hopes for the future and for all good things to come for the marrying couple, and a reminder to ourselves how wonderful these occasions are and how joyous life is.
The memories of the two weddings will always warm my heart, and I hope that my two daughters will be able to have a wedding as lovely as theirs.

So, cheers to all the lovely and happily married couples and families!:clap

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
Fisk makes a good point--what's with the Walmart wear at weddings these days? I mean, a wedding is the happiest occasion in a person's life, next to perhaps the birth of their child. It's the ultimate day for celebration. Is it really too much to ask for guests to don appropriately celebratory attire? I've been to weddings where guests came to the church reception in jogging suits, and then changed into the "cocktail" outfit for the formal dinner later on, as if the church part were just like stopping for gas on the way to the "real" event. Hello?!! The church ceremony (for those who have one) IS the real event. It's their covenant with God almighty to commit themselves to the marriage and to giving him glory through their union.

All preaching aside, it just pains me how casual "casual wear" has become. I even got dressed up on the day that Big T and I went down to the courthouse to fill out the paperwork for our wedding certificate. People now wear sweatsuits on cross-Atlantic flights to Europe and show up at the grocery store in clothing that resembles dirty rags. Even "business casual" has turned into little more than "fully clothed."

I remember a time when a lady didn't leave the house without full make-up and a set of pearls. I understand that everyone leads busy lives, and I'm not saying we need to go overboard. But I believe it's possible to dress with both style and comfort on a daily basis, and I hold firm to the conviction that one should always dress up for special occasions, whether that's a friend's birthday, a wedding anniversary, or heck, even Thanksgiving with the family.

Any gals care to chime in on this one?

Hugs & blessings,
The Bingstress

LaMedicine

One Too Many
I, for one, is someone who feels "naked" if I have to leave my home without make up...

I guess some people want to make a statement by shocking others, but that's an awfully cheap thing to do.:(

That you should dress "appropriately" for the occasion, I totally agree. Fortunately, I still live in a culture and area where appropriate attire for a special occasion is a must, so, I didn't even realize that some people would go to church in jogging suits...
I mean, when I was in school (jr & sr high), we'd have "Heel and Tie Day" for certain occasions, and that meant, it was explained to us, that we attended school in our Sunday church clothes. So, what are Sunday church clothes these days? Come to think of it, girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school unless it snowed, or the football games, and Levis=jeans were prohibited even there. Shorts for both boys and girls were, of course, completely out of the question. Well, truthfully, I wouldn't say, go back to as strict as that, but, the general idea and spirit shouldn't be far from this.

Besides, it's a lot of fun choosing what to wear on any occasion you could call special, because you get to wear something lovely and fancy, and too flippant to wear at work...
So, I guess a lot of people are missing out on that fun as well.

Proper attire doesn't mean leading top designer fashions off the racks of the most expensive stores. All it has to be is a well kept, well cared for, well pressed good suit or dress, or anything that you can put in that category.

One of the simplest way to show respect to others is dressing in honor the occasion, so, have people lost so much respect for others?
Now, that is downright distressing....
I hope I've taught my daughters well enough on that point, as well as others, of course.

So, I guess we'd better start by educating those around us, and be hopefully patient that we'll be able to spread the good word.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Some added thoughts.

Some would say, it's the spirit that counts, I know, but do they realize that spirit actually reflects in how you dress?
Sloppy, and sloppy chic are totally different things. Sloppy chic is a look that requires the utmost sophistication, and you need a great face, a great body, a great personality, great character for it, 99.9999% of the times, it turns out plain sloppy, period.

When you dress well, you don't think of acting sloppy, but when you're dressed sloppily, it isn't surprising that you're attitude about everything turns out sloppy.

I'm a tennis buff, and right at the moment, some of the court wears of the top-seeded pros in the US Open are lamentable...
What's with those gladiator suits and low-rises that almost show their xxxxs.....:eek: It was so embarrassing just to watch the games, and wondering if something might just slip with all the hard running and hitting...My daughter was lamenting, what are they thinking, aren't these courts a sacred place for them anymore?
Tennis started out as a gentleman's sport, and while a lot of sports with a long history had the men mingling with mud right from the beginning, days were, when men played with their ties on, and women in lacy dresses...I don't say, go back to the days when Wimbledon insisted on only whites, but at least, please present the spectators with some decorum and sense of sophistication that tennis implies.

People who are in the spotlights have a responsibility to the general public in sending messages of what true propriety and style is. After all, isn't that what we're paying them money for?:cry:

Velma Kelly

Familiar Face
Regarding wedding outfits... For my best friends wedding (where I will be her maid of honor) I will have a gown made especially for this event. The corset will be made in the US and the skirt that I designed all by myself will be made here in Germany. Yes, it is expensive but it's worth it. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to outdo the bride, that's very important to me. It's her day! But she's so pretty and her dress is so lovely, I'm sure, noone will be more beautiful than her on this day. I'm looking very much forward to the wedding.

GingerDoll

New in Town
My sweetheart and I got married on June 19 in Washington D.C. We had a swing dance lesson at the pre-ceremony reception and a great swing band for the party afterwards. The bride's and groom'smaids had reproduction 40's dresses and looked fabulous. There are loads of pics accessable through www.zaret.org/wedding. The whole day reflected our personalities to a T and our guests loved it.

Cheers!
Zoe

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
Zoe girl, how great to find you here!!! Congratulations on your nuptials. You were a STUNNING bride, and your dress was way cool. I've never seen anything like it, and the pictures on your photographers' site are breathtaking. I also love love love the video of your first (swing) dance as husband and wife. What a neat idea! I seriously got all misty eyed at the end. (For all you readers, Zoe and I met in the late '90s when the neo-swing craze hit NYC, and ran in the same circles at the Supper Club and other swanky venues. She's the tops.)

My very best to you and Elliot. If you're ever in Texas, drop a line, and Big T and I will have you over for dinner!

Hugs & blessings,
The Bingstress
(aka Leslie Thompson)

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
GingerDoll,

Great pics! :D

What kind of dog is Satchmo? My guess is Portuguese Water Dog.

Edit: I guess I should learn to read for comprehension. :eek: Still a nice looking dog.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm going to revive this thread--my husband and I were married last year and had an authentic 1940s wedding. Everyone had a blast, and I'm glad we went 'vintage'.

Here's the link to our pictures:
http://www.theknot.com/co_profileview.htm?profilename=retrogirl

Since vintage fashion is a passion of mine, I wore two vintage dresses--a satin redingote circa 1938-1940, and a satin underdress worn by a bride in the early 50s.
My bridesmaids wore reproduction dresses made from a vintage style fabric.
The groom and groomsmen wore 1930s style tuxedos—my gift to my husband was a set of 1930s cufflinks.

The ceremony was held at the San Marcos hotel--built in 1912, it was a movie star hotspot in the 1930s-50s (Al Capone was a regular too, and speakeasy was built underneath one of the ballrooms during Prohibition.) We held the reception at a restaurant housed in a former bank--the old vault is still on display, and they kept the original black and white tile floor.

All in all, it was a very fun day! I'm now writing a series of wedding planning articles for another site—check them out here: www.porthalcyon.com
.com.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Great pics JitterbugDoll! My fiancé is going to flip when she sees those! She is feverishly gathering hair and make-up pics for herself and her bridesmaids. It looks like you had a great day.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
When's the big day?

I remember obsessing (even more than I already do :) ) over finding the perfect clothes, hair and makeup! I mean, what better way to express your vintage selves than with a vintage wedding?

Congrats to you and your fiance! If she would like to chat sometime, have her drop me a line at jitterbugdoll@yahoo.com

~Amanda

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
When's the big day?

I remember obsessing (even more than I already do :) ) over finding the perfect clothes, hair and makeup! I mean, what better way to express your vintage selves than with a vintage wedding?

Congrats to you and your fiance! If she would like to chat sometime, have her drop me a line at jitterbugdoll@yahoo.com

~Amanda

Thanks, I will let her know. She is registered here but has yet to post. I'm positive that once she starts gabbin' with you gals she'll be on the Lounge all the time! The "Big Day" is May 14 BTW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21