Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viscount sewing machines?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Howdy, ladies.
I just picked up a machine at a thrift store that's running strong, but I can't find any info on the internet about it! It's green and somewhat atomic looking, so I'm guessing 50s or 60s and is called a Viscount, with model number 850. Anyone know anything?
I especially need to know where to find bobbins, so any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance! :)

Tourbillion

Practically Family

Lauren

Oh, interesting. It doesn't say "silver viscount", just "viscount". Probably the same thing, huh? It has a bobbin and case, but it takes metal bobbins. Thanks so much for the info!
I stood right next to you so many times on sunday, Tourbillion. but I don't think I ever got a chance to say "hello", so "hi", even though it's late! You looked lovely!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Sorry, Neecerie I got a stash of Adler bobbins from a now defunct sewing repair in Torrance during the early 1990's.

I think eBay is the only way now. If you are trying to find them now, I feel your pain. I feel fortunate that it uses standard needles and that I have the manual (needles are inserted sideways, and you go around the tension disk twice!).

Anyway, back to Silver Viscount.

I assume that the companies merged sometime in the not too distant past. There seem to be Silver machines, Viscount machines and now Silver Viscount machines. I have a 1980 sewing machine bluebook around here somewhere, but it is currently misplaced. :eek:

Have you tried the common Singer bobbins in this machine? If they don't jam the machine you can use them. I have a feeling that vintage Viscount bobbins may be scarce in SoCal.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Does the machine have a vertical (with bobbin case) asssembly or a horizontal (drop-in bobbin) assembly? If it's a drop-in bobbin make sure to get the class-66 bobbins.

Lauren

It's the vertical type, and it's the first machine I own that the needle threads sideways! We had them at work, but its the first one I personally have. And another funny thing is that it threads on the back side of the machine! lol At least, I guess, I won't snag the thread accidentaly, but it will be easier for the kitty to chew from the back. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points