Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Aero Leathers

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Morning all,
Last week, i did something most of us dream of... I visited the Aero factory.
My girlfriend and i decided to take a trip to Edinburgh, driving from London, taking a break in Galashiels just made sens.
Let me tell you this straight away, if you get the opportunity to go there, do it!

The drive up took a bit longer than planned, but we arrived there a bit before 3pm, upon entering, we were just told to go wait a couple minutes in their showroom and just have a look, try on whatever we wanted. Denny knew we were coming and soon we were putting together the jacket i had had in my mind for a few months. Having all these different designs around you really helps visualizing exactly what your options are. And spending the time to figure out which pockets to keep, which back, cuffs and buttons to chose to best compliment the design was a lot of fun.

We spent a good hour going over the details of the jacket, and then i decided i might as well go all out and go for a pair. Once both were sorted Denny offered to give us a tour, which of course we accepted.

It was AWESOME!

From the showroom we went down into the storage rooms, full of rolls of all kind of leathers, trimmings, full hides, brown, black, FQHH, Vincenza, it was all there. We then went on to see the cutting/stitching room, with its rows of sewing machines. As it was late on a thursday it was pretty quiet, but you could just imagine that had it been a busier day this room would have been filled with the noise of banging and stitching, as jackets slowly get put together.

Denny was a great host, he showed us everything, the differences between all their leathers, the hangers full of "storse" jackets, the jacket from the "shrinking jacket incident", the comically huge leather pants that had been wrongly ordered ( i could seriously fit entirely in a single leg!), the odd things like the kangaroo and midnight blue jackets, a vintage WWII A2 being restored, we saw it all!
You could see he was really happy to share his knowledge and proud to show what his team could do, it felt like we had a private guide to a leather Comic Con.

One thing i learnt that i think is worth sharing, is that a single jackets can take as much as 5 skins (FQHH) to make, meaning a lot of care is taken to match the skins as well as possible.

As you can imagine, by that time my girlfriend really wanted her own Aero too, so we discussed the possibilities for ladies jackets, and i am pretty sure she will get herself one soon.
It looks like Aero are really trying to increase the number of designs they have for the ladies, and the fact that they now have a dress maker in house, who can make mock fabric jackets really is a good thing.

All in all we spent a good two hours there, and time just flew by, i could have stayed there all day, nerding on back designs, stitch patterns and zipper options, but it was 5 o'clock and as much as you can see that Denny loves a good leather chat and could probably have gone on forever, it was time to go.

So, what did i order?

The first jacket is inspired by Mysterio's dual tone D pocket, i don't want to spoil the surprise and get into details yet, but here is a little clue of what is to come:

talon1_zps46nkwbw2.jpg

The second jacket is just a stock Original Hercules, as i really wanted a colder weather jacket with a warmer lining:

895550bdf385793_origherc-500_zps5vfebfsf.jpg

Now, the part we all dread is starting, the waiting... It should take around 8 weeks, which will probably mean i won't be able to wear them much until next year, but hey, good things are worth waiting for.

Like i said in the beginning, if any of you can do this, i really recommend you do, it really is a little bit like a leather pilgrimage for nerds like us, and i am really happy i was able to go there. Denny is a great guy, very knowledgeable, and he really made us feel welcome, i would go back in a heart beat, and probably will do at some point.

60 more sleeps... Can't wait!

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Nice story and good you got to see the nerve centre. It's a great place to visit and see so much all in one place, but it's hard to keep control of your wallet when you do that.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The showroom was a great place to visit, so many temptations. Do they have a hall of shame now ?

Not really a hall of shame, but they had a full rack of "Storse" jackets in the basement, and a few funny ones like Schitzo's "shrinking jacket" and the massive pants lying around.
Also, it appears we will know more about the stolen goods soon... It sounded very exciting!

Gav

Practically Family
Nice! Always had this in mind, haven't been north of the border for years.

Morning all,
Last week, i did something most of us dream of... I visited the Aero factory.
My girlfriend and i decided to take a trip to Edinburgh, driving from London, taking a break in Galashiels just made sens.
Let me tell you this straight away, if you get the opportunity to go there, do it!

The drive up took a bit longer than planned, but we arrived there a bit before 3pm, upon entering, we were just told to go wait a couple minutes in their showroom and just have a look, try on whatever we wanted. Denny knew we were coming and soon we were putting together the jacket i had had in my mind for a few months. Having all these different designs around you really helps visualizing exactly what your options are. And spending the time to figure out which pockets to keep, which back and cuffs and buttons would compliment the design was a lot of fun.

We spent a good hour going over the details of the jacket, and then i decided i might as well go all out and go for a pair. Once both were sorted Denny offered to give us a tour, which of course we accepted.

It was AWESOME!

From the showroom we went down into the storage rooms, full of rolls of all kind of leathers, trimmings, full hides, brown, black, FQHH, Vincenza, it was all there. We then went on to see the cutting/stitching room, with its rows of sewing machines. As it was late on a thursday it was pretty quiet, but you could just imagine that had it been a busier day this room would have been filled with the noise of banging and stitching, as jackets slowly get put together.

Denny was a great host, he showed us everything, the differences between all their leathers, the hangers full of "storse" jackets, the jacket from the "shrinking jacket incident", the comically huge leather pants that had been wrongly ordered ( i could seriously fit entirely in a single leg!), the odd things like the kangaroo and midnight blue jackets, a vintage WWII A2 being restored, we saw it all!
You could see he was really happy to share his knowledge and proud to show what his team could do, it felt like we had a private guide to a leather Comic Con.

One thing i learnt that i think is worth sharing, is that a single jackets can take as much as 5 skins (FQHH) to make, meaning a lot of care is taken to match the skins as well as possible.

As you can imagine, by that time my girlfriend really wanted her own Aero too, so we discussed the possibilities for ladies jackets, and i am pretty sure she will get herself one soon.
It looks like Aero are really trying to increase the number of designs they have for the ladies, and the fact that they now have a dress maker in house, who can make mock fabric jackets really is a good thing.

All in all we spent a good two hours there, and time just flew by, i could have stayed there all day, nerding on back designs, stitch patterns and zipper options, but it was 5 o'clock and as much as you can see that Denny loves a good leather chat and could probably have gone on forever, it was time to go.

So, what did i order?

The first jacket is inspired by Mysterio's dual tone D pocket, i don't want to spoil the surprise and get into details yet, but here is a little clue of what is to come:

talon1_zps46nkwbw2.jpg

The second jacket is just a stock Original Hercules, as i really wanted a colder weather jacket with a warmer lining:

895550bdf385793_origherc-500_zps5vfebfsf.jpg

Now, the part we all dread is starting, the waiting... It should take around 8 weeks, which will probably mean i won't be able to wear them much until next year, but hey, good things are worth waiting for.

Like i said in the beginning, if any of you can do this, i really recommend you do, it really is a little bit like a leather pilgrimage for nerds like us, and i am really happy i was able to go there. Denny is a great guy, very knowledgeable, and he really made us feel welcome, i would go back in a heart beat, and probably will do at some point.

60 more sleeps... Can't wait!
Carlos, how was that midnight blue in person?? I'm SERIOUSLY considering it for my next order! What a great trip to take!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos, how was that midnight blue in person?? I'm SERIOUSLY considering it for my next order! What a great trip to take!

To me it didn't look midnight blue, it was more emerald, there was definitely some green in there.
It did look like it would age nicely and develop a lot of interesting shades, but don't expect a midnight blue tuxedo kind of blue...

At least, that was true for the sample i saw. Seeing how much difference there was between the different Cordovan jackets, it's entirely possible that some hides are actually more blue and less green.

To me it didn't look midnight blue, it was more emerald, there was definitely some green in there.
It did look like it would age nicely and develop a lot of interesting shades, but don't expect a midnight blue tuxedo kind of blue...
Very interesting...thanks man. You're planned builds look very cool. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Phil4

New in Town
Thanks for the tour report and congrats on your jackets.

Quick question, does Aero do alterations on their ready-mades? I've been tempted by a couple of their for sale items but the arms are usually a bit long. The custom made stuff is much more money, and in USD looks even scarier.

Sounds like my visit in 11/11 but the then manager and his assistant could not be bothered to say "Hi!" let alone come out to meet me - after months of talking/emails, etc.
What I got was basically the same thing you did, but with WL's son being my host. I won't lie, the kid was exceptionally nice and took all the time we wanted to look around - including the basement.

He greeted us at the door with my 50's HBD on a hanger and commenced the show. I think since then the real owners have spruced up the "museum" and made things more appealing, but like you, I highly recommend going there if you can - even if you're not getting anything (which I doubt CAN happen). The drive and surrounding towns are lovely, and there are great pubs and places to go if you're new to the area.

We will go back one day and I look forward to it. Fantastic destination, and it was the only reason we went there from Durham. You gotta be careful though as it's easy to drive by! Thanks for the story @Carlos840 !

And congrats on the conversion (girlfriend) and orders!

Last edited:

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the tour report and congrats on your jackets.

Quick question, does Aero do alterations on their ready-mades? I've been tempted by a couple of their for sale items but the arms are usually a bit long. The custom made stuff is much more money, and in USD looks even scarier.

I bought a Highwayman some time ago and asked them to shorten the sleeves. For a little extra money the did a very good job. You can't see that the sleeves were shortened. They asked me before if i want to keep the storm-cuffs or want them removed.
If that is also possible on sleeves with zippers i don't know. But ask them they are really kind and it was always a pleasure to deal with Aero.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112