Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vtg 1949 Very Nice Wide Lapel DB Plaid Suit

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Looks like these live eBay postings reveal the selfish side of some Loungers.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Well, I'm glad I was still the only bidder. I really find it very difficult to get decent suits or jackets in my size. True, there was no Japanese competition to be expected, but I thought some of the other tall slim guys with monkey arms would bid on this one, too. Maybe the high starting bid scared them off.

Another lounger tipped me off to that suit about a week ago. I was indeed tempted but had just purchased another suit a few days before that. And I really prefer single breasted...

Still - congrats on a great purchase! :eusa_clap

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Like I said in the beginning of this thread, if it was my size I would had bid too!! I just love those wide lapel DB plaid suits!
Congrats Rudie!:eusa_clap
Hopefully you can show us some pics of you wearing the suit.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Looks like these live eBay postings reveal the selfish side of some Loungers.

I dunno. I was one of the first people to start a thread to air gripes about the 'Vintage Finds and Deals' sections, and my thread was taken down and merged into another thread that was an all-encompassing Fedora-Lounge-Gripes thread.

I am really of two minds regarding the Fedora Lounge.

On one hand, it is great that there is an on-line community where people can go and share as well as educate themselves about vintage clothing and vintage styles.

On the other hand, The Fedora Lounge is a free and open public website, viewed globally and visited by thousands. So, when you share your excitement about certain styles, you build excitement about those very styles and drum up interest in something that may otherwise gone unnoticed to the outside world. This is great if you are interested in selling something, but if you are more of a collector, and especially a novice collector, it creates competition in an already crowded pool.

For example, I love cable knit t-shirts. Absolutely adore them. I have a collection of about 40-50 of them. Outside of the Rockabilly and Lindy hop world, nobody knows what they are nor do they care. People know what fedoras are, people know what three piece double breasted suits are, people know what spectator shoes are. These items are familiar to folks, and if some random person wants a hat, a suit, or some shoes from the 1930s, 1940s, or 1950s, they know where to look (ebay) because they know what they are looking for.

Now, if some newbie to vintage clothing has no idea what cable knit t-shirt are, than why should I post about how cool cable knit t-shirtscan look, knowing that I am just creating competition for myself in the long run? (Keep in mind, that I actually did start a cable knit thread that went nowhere). For sure, I am looking out for my own self interest, but at least I know I can trust myself to take care of and preserve these garments for future generations; I cannot necessarily say the same about others.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
The way I see it; the items being posted are far from hidden treasures, so post away to your hearts content.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
On one hand, it is great that there is an on-line community where people can go and share as well as educate themselves about vintage clothing and vintage styles.
See, this is what will help serve to keep collectibles out of the city dump or being carted off to the third world. It's the Big Picture.

This is great if you are interested in selling something, but if you are more of a collector,
All collectors (or their estates) are eventually sellers. ;)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Marc, Mario and Johnny.

Mario, I do prefer SB as well, but I still couldn't justify passing it up. It would have been a shame. :)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Congrats! I'm sure this one helps to feel quite okay about not bidding for the plaid DB suit.

On a side note: I found a cleaner who also does wet cleaning. They even collect the stuff for a small extra fee.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Congrats! I'm sure this one helps to feel quite okay about not bidding for the plaid DB suit.

On a side note: I found a cleaner who also does wet cleaning. They even collect the stuff for a small extra fee.

Good one! You really need to give me the address or the telephone number.

BTW: I just returned from Robbie where I picked up a jacket and had a really nice chat with Nicola along the way. :)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice. The germans are getting dressed better and better.

PS: I told you it won't go higher just because it was mentioned here. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko