Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to buy 7 3/4 stingy brim

whitey21

New in Town
Hello,

I am in the market for something fairly specific and fairly rare. I am always looking but Nothing on eBay or other sites right now.

I wish to purchase a vintage stingy (No more than 1 3/4) brim with at least a 2 inch ribbon in size 7 3/4. Any color.Must still be true to size.
This style appears to have been popular during the late 50s-early 60s.

Old Blues eyes is wearing this style http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/11189/11535633_1.jpg?v=8CE770C8F6FCB80

I have purchased several new stingy brims only to be disappointed. While I have found some that look fairly similar, most simply lack the look and feel of the vintage head ware. Usually the ribbon is not wide enough and the crown to high.

Sheriff Bill Decker is wearing exactly what I am looking for;
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...embre-1963-cette-mtropole-picture-id166462756

The closest I've found was a blues brothers had that would have been perfect if the ribbon had been wider (it was only 1.5 in). I just can't find the whole package that the vintage offers.

I am willing to pay in the $ 150-175 range depending on condition.
Please let me know if you have what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Looks exactly like the one I wore today!
DSC03175.jpg DSC03187.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

I am in the market for something fairly specific and fairly rare. I am always looking but Nothing on eBay or other sites right now.

I wish to purchase a vintage stingy (No more than 1 3/4) brim with at least a 2 inch ribbon in size 7 3/4. Any color.Must still be true to size.
This style appears to have been popular during the late 50s-early 60s.

Old Blues eyes is wearing this style http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/11189/11535633_1.jpg?v=8CE770C8F6FCB80

I have purchased several new stingy brims only to be disappointed. While I have found some that look fairly similar, most simply lack the look and feel of the vintage head ware. Usually the ribbon is not wide enough and the crown to high.

Sheriff Bill Decker is wearing exactly what I am looking for;
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/dallas-texas-capital-etats-unis-dallas-5-décembre-1963-news-photo/166462756#dallas-texas-capital-etatsunis-dallas-5-dcembre-1963-cette-mtropole-picture-id166462756

The closest I've found was a blues brothers had that would have been perfect if the ribbon had been wider (it was only 1.5 in). I just can't find the whole package that the vintage offers.

I am willing to pay in the $ 150-175 range depending on condition.
Please let me know if you have what I am looking for.

Thanks.

You should know that a hat the size you are seeking, the proportions may be slightly different than they are in smaller sizes. The look you are after would be lost with only less than a 1-3/4” brim. Frank wore a smaller size, mine is a 7-3/4. Do you think the brim on mine looks less than 1-3/4”? It measures about 2-1/4”!!
Forget random specs, my friend, and go for the look a hat gives to you.

Last edited:

whitey21

New in Town
You should know that a hat the size you are seeking, the proportions may be slightly different than they are in smaller sizes. The look you are after would be lost with only less than a 1-3/4” brim. Frank wore a smaller size, mine is a 7-3/4. Do you think the brim on mine looks less than 1-3/4”? It measures about 2-1/4”!!
Forget random specs, my friend, and go for the look a hat gives to you.

Your hats brim does not look stingy to me. It would appear to be at least 2 inches had you not even told me........though 2 1/4 is larger than I would have figured..........that is not the stingy look I want!

Some time ago I purchased a hat I could have swore had a stingy brim below 2 inches......Turns out the brim was exactly at 2 inches.....trying it on even @ 2 inches, it looked Indiana Jones big compared to the stingy style I want!

The Sinatra style you posted as an example of what you want was positively more than 2". Frank mostly wore Cavanagh lids, and I challenge you to find him in more stingy one. Do you live near a hat retailer, where you can try on hats? THAT's what you should do, if possible. It's always a surprise when you find one that you like, and it wasn't what you thought you wanted. Again, I wear the size you're looking for, and know that the proportions can be tricky. My first hat buy online left me with too large a brim, or so I thought, until comments started rolling in. I'm old, and don't really deserve comments from young folks, but is HAS happened. A dimly-lit setting, but nonetheless!

Good luck with your search, sir.

whitey21

New in Town
The Sinatra style you posted as an example of what you want was positively more than 2". Frank mostly wore Cavanagh lids, and I challenge you to find him in more stingy one. Do you live near a hat retailer, where you can try on hats? THAT's what you should do, if possible. It's always a surprise when you find one that you like, and it wasn't what you thought you wanted. Again, I wear the size you're looking for, and know that the proportions can be tricky. My first hat buy online left me with too large a brim, or so I thought, until comments started rolling in. I'm old, and don't really deserve comments from young folks, but is HAS happened. A dimly-lit setting, but nonetheless!

Good luck with your search, sir.

Thanks for the tips.

I actually already have exactly what I am looking for in my collection though unfortunately it is too small---only size 7 5/8---close but no cigar!
Stetson charcoal stingy 1 1/2 brim. The ribbon is under 2 inches but the crown is tapered which still gives it the look I want.

I just need to find one like this in size 7 3/4!

Based on my looking at various hats in my collection, here on line, in popular culture from what I can tell If the crown is tapered the ribbon can be under 2 inches to achieve the look I want.
If the crown is NOT tapered the ribbon must be at least 2 inches to achieve the look I want.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the tips.

I actually already have exactly what I am looking for in my collection though unfortunately it is too small---only size 7 5/8---close but no cigar!
Stetson charcoal stingy 1 1/2 brim. The ribbon is under 2 inches but the crown is tapered which still gives it the look I want.

I just need to find one like this in size 7 3/4!

Based on my looking at various hats in my collection, here on line, in popular culture from what I can tell If the crown is tapered the ribbon can be under 2 inches to achieve the look I want.
If the crown is NOT tapered the ribbon must be at least 2 inches to achieve the look I want.

Thanks for the help.

You are more than welcomed! One last tip, from one dome head to another. Get yourself a Hatjack, and gently nudge that 7-5/8 up a size. If it's close now, that will work. Especially if it's a Stetson. Zie Gezunt!!

whitey21

New in Town
You are more than welcomed! One last tip, from one dome head to another. Get yourself a Hatjack, and gently nudge that 7-5/8 up a size. If it's close now, that will work. Especially if it's a Stetson. Zie Gezunt!!

Thanks. Do you happen to have any hats for sale? Or do you know of anyone who might be interested in selling?

I have a few 1960s Resistol stingy brims that might be along the lines of what you are looking for. With the larger sizes it will just take patience, but at the price you’re willing to pay you should find what your after. Stingy brims don’t usually bring top dollar.

If you found a hat that otherwise fits the bill but the ribbon is not right why not just have a new ribbon put on?

If you have some 7 5/8 hats that don’t fit and you need to unload.... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitey21

New in Town
I have a few 1960s Resistol stingy brims that might be along the lines of what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If any of your Resistol Stingy Brims are size 7 3/4 (and still True to Size) I would love to purchase for the amount previously mentioned.

Thanks

Brim looks larger than 1 3/4 inches.

Have you considered trimming a brim to the width you want? I have a rounding jack that makes quick work of it; although, I use it to convert western hats to fedoras. Any hatter can trim down the brim for you and it usually doesn’t cost much. If you don’t want it to be raw-edged you’ll have to get it bound, but that can be done for about $25.

makitright

One of the Regulars
I have these two stingy's. Dark one is Dobbs 20. Light one is a Champ. 7 3/4 hats. Both are in excellent condition.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.21.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.21.06 PM.png
    427.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.26.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.26.01 PM.png
    519.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.20.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.20.43 PM.png
    659.6 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

1on1

One of the Regulars
I'll second that - It doesn't make much sense why vintage 60's classic stingy brim (but in my case classic means a .5" brim) hats are more rarer than older 40's/50's fedora's. It is extremely rare to find a 60's stingy brim with .5" brim...I think easier to vintage find .5" stingy brims over at our cousins across the pond since the Mod/Ska/Rude boy scene blew up there. Most of you know that they call it a Trilby out there. I guess that's what I'm really looking for.

I wear a size 7.25, if anyone knows where I can find one, please let me know as well, ebay/etsy ive checked.

re: rounding jacks, yea if all else fails I guess cutting brim to size is the last option - it would be a blast to own an original though...I would imagine "curling" the brim (perfectly) after you cut it might be a challenge.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21