Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: RAF Greatcoat

_Tallulah_

New in Town
I am looking for an RAF Greatcoat for my brother. I've been trying to get him one for two years. Seems there has been a resurgence of interest in this coat since the television series Torchwood.

Am looking for chest size 46-48.

If anyone knows where I can find one, I'd be very grateful for the info. Last Christmas I gave my brother a card telling him he was getting a greatcoat. I'd found someone in chat who said he had one and was happy to post it to be before he left for Afghanistan. He never posted it. So this year, I'd like to make good on my promise of last year.

Thanks so much.
Tallie

Edward

Bartender
Your problem could be finding one in that size - I've never seen an original that big (bearing in mind most of those to whom they were issued originally were kids, really...). I've been looking for a good repro myself for some time now, but to no avail - nobody seems to do them. I suppose RAF re-enactors must all have found originals, or prefer to stick with the Irvin-sporting combat image.... [huh] Depending on how fussy you are about getting one close to Captain Jack's, there are loads of the seventies era models floating about army surplus places in the UK, at much cheaper prices than anything earlier - you could have one for in the region of thirty quid. Distinctly different in colour, though, and significantly different design. Original WW2 pieces still turn up, but I've never seen one go as large as a 48. They have definitely gone up in price since Torchwood came on the scene. It's definitely possible to replicate them and do it very well if some repro company would do it. The one Barrowman wears as Captain Jack is a repro. If memory serves, in the character's early Doctor Who appearances, it was the real thing, but for the Torchwood wardrobe they had one made up for him in a synthetic fabric, he being allergic to wool. Or that's the story they tell in sci-fi fan circles, anyhow.

Cobden

Practically Family
If you're looking specifically for a WWII officers great coat (though technically Captain Jack wore a 1950's greatcoat - the WWII ones are much much cooler, and prewar ones swankier yet!), they're in very high demand and tend to go for huge amounts even in small sizes when they come up on ebay. If it's just the colour and length you're looking for, modern RAF greatcoats are fairly abundant (UK ebay may be worth a look see), and reletively inexpensive

Edward

Bartender
Just thought, does it absolutely have to be RAF, or is he looking for something 'in the style of'? There are a few other alternatives that are commonly sought out by folks putting together Captain Jack costumes:

Belgian Air Force
BELGIUM-OVERCOAT.jpg

Size 44-46 is the biggest size they have, at GBP50
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s.../new-genuine-air-force-great-coat-639483.html

Here's a link to one on eBay with a better photo of the colour:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Belgian-R...84eb0b9012a0a0aad2073257fd7fbb38#ht_600wt_905

This Swedish option is much closer to the RAF WW2 coat in colour, though they might not have the size you need:
SWEEDISH-GREAT-COAT.jpg

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...kets/new-genuine-swedish-wool-mix-387144.html
GBP35. I think this is the most commonly sought out alternative to the RAF WW2 spec, and should be possible to find one somewhere in the size you need.

For comparison, the real thing in mint condition on eBay - somebody wants GBP400 odds for this! :eek:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAF-OFFICERS-...eb0b9012a0a0aad2073257fd7fbb38#ht_4192wt_1026

Here's the 1970s era RAF option:
RAF-GREAT-COAT.jpg

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...s/new-genuine-raf-great-coat-like-439384.html GBP35 Less like the original than the Swedish coat.

Cobden

Practically Family
Actually that £400 one is post war, the same as Captain Jack's...will try to find a pic of the real WWII ones, but the main difference is a full belt around the middle and button cuffs

Edward

Bartender
Oops, my bad! Do you mean Jack's original, worn when he first appeared in a WW2 storyline, was a 1950s model, later copied, or is the later, non-wool copy worn in Torchwood a copy of the 50s model?

Cobden

Practically Family
Yep; the BBC costume department ain't what it used to be; in fact the only accurate item of clothing he wore in "The Empty Child/Doctor Dances" was the hat...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Unless it's for a collector or educational re-enactor don't go for an original 30's / 40's coat, as it'd be wasted. If it's just for some fantasy Capt Jack type fashion look, go repro or modern surplus.

hapholliday

New in Town
I have two original WW2 RAF officer's greatcoats in my collection and I am thinking of listing one of them on eBay soon. I wear a size 44 or 46, depending on the coat, and both of the RAF greatcoats in my collection fit me fine. One is dated 1942, and the other is a pre-war from the late 30's. I certainly don't need to hang on to two of them, especially during times like these. I'll be glad to let you know when I list one of them if you'd like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana