Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wards Airline Model 14BR - 515B

Ripper

Familiar Face
Hello,
I dont post here enough but I have aquired this Airline radio/phonograph and can find absolutly nothing on it, well, about it. It is very frustrating because I want to restore it and cant find a place to start. These pics are from the auction, I will get some of the turntable. ANY help will be most appreciated !!!
Thanks !

115237363_tp.jpg

115237410_tp.jpg

115237448_tp.jpg

Ripper

Familiar Face
Looks like you are as stumped as I am ? Any thoughts at all are welcome. I tried the usuall chanels, Google, all of the old radio forums ans sites, well, most.[huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The design of the cabinet is likely 1941-42 -- it's hard to tell from the peek inside, but I would guess it's a fairly basic AC-DC chassis. If you can't find a schematic it should be fairly simple to work on just by eye if you know how the usual "All American Five" circuit works.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Those horizontal wood grille bars seem to have been all the rage in the early 40s. My Zenith tabletop has them. One has a cowlick - cracked and keeps springing back loose no matter what nasty stickem I put on. I haven't tried Barge Cement tho - it hasn't been beaten yet.

Thing don't play no more neither. I wish Liz made house calls. :rolleyes:

Ripper

Familiar Face
Thank you. It should be a ' 41. With most Airlines you just switch the first two numbers in the begining of the model number, 14Br - 515B would be a 41.The issue I have is with the player arm, It is gray plastic and I think is not origional at all. I will post a pic as soon as I can. I wish I could see the inside of an origional. The radio itself works just fine, the phonograph turns on but just hums. I am sure the motor just needs a good cleaning or small rebuild. Thank you for the replies !

Flivver

Practically Family
Regarding a schematic for this set, you can sometimes find Ward's sets listed under the company that manufactured them.

I believe in this era, Belmont made some or all of the Airline sets for Montgomery Ward.

Ripper

Familiar Face
Thanks, I did find that site. I seem to find radios that are so unpopular that no one can find anything on them [huh] I'll keep looking.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Ripper said:
Thanks, I did find that site. I seem to find radios that are so unpopular that no one can find anything on them [huh] I'll keep looking.

Yeah, same problem here - Add to that frustration that I live in Canada. It's much more difficult to find an unpopular Canadian Model Schematic - and they usually don't come for free like on NostalgiaAir.

Antiqueradios.com has a good forum of people they may have or be able to help you find a schematic for your radio.
It's best to actually "join" that forum, people may be reluctant to help if you're not a member. Membership doesn't cost anything by the way.

Again, good luck. Will keep my eyes peeled for you.

Rob Harrington

New in Town
Hello,
I dont post here enough but I have aquired this Airline radio/phonograph and can find absolutly nothing on it, well, about it. It is very frustrating because I want to restore it and cant find a place to start. These pics are from the auction, I will get some of the turntable. ANY help will be most appreciated !!!
Thanks !

115237363_tp.jpg

115237410_tp.jpg

115237448_tp.jpg

Rob Harrington

New in Town
Photo-0017.jpg
Photo-0017.jpg
I see this is an 8 year old post but I thought I would mention I have this model. My dad bought it in 1941. Unbelievably, everything still works. Missing Radio/Off/Phono switch on top but I can change with screwdriver. Platter makes some noise and needs a needle. 78 Rpm only. Radio warms up for a minute and then brings in the stations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko