Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waxed Cotton Jacket Maintenance Question

bicktrav

New in Town
I have a jacket made of waxed cotton from Halley Stevenson's in Scotland. I'm noticing that it is getting a touch dry; the wax has evaporated some since I got it a year ago. I've read that you ought to replenish the wax in waxed fabric from time to time. Should I apply more wax to this? If so, what wax should I use? I know Filson sells one that you can use on their tin cloth; would that be suitable for use on my waxed cotton jacket? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BobJ

Practically Family
I would contact the original manufacturer...

...I'm sure they offer some re-proofing product. Sometimes mixing different formulations of waxes and oils isn't optimal.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Someone from Filson recommended shipping any Filson garment back to Seattle since several tins would be required to re-wax a garment. I just leave my jackets as is and only re-wax my Filson hats.

Todd V

Familiar Face
New England Reproofers offer a good value considering it would take several tins of Filson wax to do the job.

You can buy tins of Filson Wax, Barbour dressing or others and do it yourself. You'll do it once...then send it out next time. :p

There is a nice explanation here, as well:

http://www.archivalclothing.com/2010/08/archival-diy-reproofing-waxed-cotton.html

Also, if you search the Outerwear forum, you will find some threads on DIY methods.

Good Luck

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Someone from Filson recommended shipping any Filson garment back to Seattle since several tins would be required to re-wax a garment. I just leave my jackets as is and only re-wax my Filson hats.

Would not reapplying wax regularly have a detrimental effect to the life of the jacket in any way?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No, reproofing will lengthen the life and should be done every year or two. Takes around 30 minutes. Plenty of on-line tips and even another thread here on this subject. Reproofing stops the non waxed sections, especially the creases from wearing through. With regular waxing a quality jacket will last 40-50 years.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
No, reproofing will lengthen the life and should be done every year or two. Takes around 30 minutes. Plenty of on-line tips and even another thread here on this subject. Reproofing stops the non waxed sections, especially the creases from wearing through. With regular waxing a quality jacket will last 40-50 years.

I believe that I recall the Filson expert telling me to wax the creases if I don't have the entire jacket re-waxed.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I've got a Barbour Border jacket that's over 20 years old, never been re-waxed and still going strong, if not as waterproof as it once was! I did hear you should re-proof them after a few years, as the longer you leave it (as with mine), it becomes harder to do properly.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I with MJCR,

Belstaff trialmaster, over 20 years of motorcycling, never rewaxed, it jut gets better looking with age. I'm sure it's not as waterproof as when new, but I try not to ride for an entire day in the pouring rain anymore either.

Brian

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Seb and Fanch.
Fanch, you've sold me on that Levi's jacket in the xl.

Nick, let me know how the Filson Levis jacket in XL works out. I don't know what your dimensions are, but I my XL jacket fits very much like a 42-44 Tall Slimfit.
Pit to pit - 24"
Bottom of jacket - 22"
Back length - 27.5"
Sleeves - 27"

The 27" sleeves are actually long enough for me. Most tend to roll up the sleeves to show the moleskin lining, but I don't, primarily because of my long arms; and the moleskin lining underneath (and the moleskin collar) feel good to the skin.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick, let me know how the Filson Levis jacket in XL works out. I don't know what your dimensions are, but I my XL jacket fits very much like a 42-44 Tall Slimfit.
Pit to pit - 24"
Bottom of jacket - 22"
Back length - 27.5"
Sleeves - 27"

I am a size 40. A bit smaller than you are but I've always had luck going with an xl Levi's jackets, as they are very fitted. Length sounds perfect on the xl too. Anything around 27" is great for me.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
New England Reproofers offer a good value considering it would take several tins of Filson wax to do the job.

These guys are great. Small, family-owned company that does great work with exceptional customer service and a speedy turn-around. They can even get rid of the "old tent smell" that these jackets sometimes develop. Save yourself the hassle, and let them work their craft:

http://newenglandreproofers.com/

Cordially,
Trog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points