Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weapons in the Movies

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The only weapons that bother me in films are when Nazi machine guns are obviously modified or un-modified Thompsons. Of course all the real ones were being used at the time.

Worf

basbol13

A-List Customer
The only weapons that bother me in films are when Nazi machine guns are obviously modified or un-modified Thompsons. Of course all the real ones were being used at the time.

Worf
Do you mean the the M3, M3A1
500px-M3_Grease.jpg

with the MP40?

400px-MGCMP40.jpg

EngProf

Practically Family
I think Worf may be thinking of a particular WWII-era movie in which either the Germans or Japanese are using Thompsons with the forearms removed and the guns put on a tripod to simulate enemy weapons. I can see the scene in my head but can't place exactly which movie it was.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Being a blade guy, I havery a number of movie related knives in my collection, but here's 2 knives I've always wanted.

A First Blood type Rambo knife. They're not rare, but I've always heard the quality on most replicas are not good, so I've always been wary of buying one.
7D6XeYI.jpg

The other knife being a Martindale machete like the one Quint uses in Jaws.
cRJCGUy.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Do you mean the the M3, M3A1
500px-M3_Grease.jpg

with the MP40?

400px-MGCMP40.jpg

No they weren't even THAT close. I can spot a greaser a mile away. I'm talking about American made Tommy Guns! I watched "The Desert Rats" with Sir Richard Burton this afternoon. He'd been captured and while being transported to the rear the truck was strafed by a stock footage masquerading as a Spitfire. The German guards opened fire on the plane with Thompson submachine guns with 20 round clips as opposed to the real deal. In many early war pics you can spot Nazis sporting Thompson's with elongated magazines to make them look foreign.

Worf

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
1851 Colt Navy with cartridge conversion.
Clint makes it look easy to assemble after cleaning.
I saw a video that requires a screwdriver and more
time to put it back for firing .

Last edited:

ChrisB

A-List Customer
I can not recall any westerns in which soldiers were armed with trapdoor Springfield rifles.

In the movie Shenandoah, one did appear as a stand in for a muzzle loader in a civil war battle scene. Present where they shouldn't be, and absent where they ought to be.

basbol13

A-List Customer
No they weren't even THAT close. I can spot a greaser a mile away. I'm talking about American made Tommy Guns! I watched "The Desert Rats" with Sir Richard Burton this afternoon. He'd been captured and while being transported to the rear the truck was strafed by a stock footage masquerading as a Spitfire. The German guards opened fire on the plane with Thompson submachine guns with 20 round clips as opposed to the real deal. In many early war pics you can spot Nazis sporting Thompson's with elongated magazines to make them look foreign.

Worf
I never watched "The Desert Rats", so I'm going to have to watch and play close attention. Can you think of any other movies?

basbol13

A-List Customer
Being a blade guy, I havery a number of movie related knives in my collection, but here's 2 knives I've always wanted.

A First Blood type Rambo knife. They're not rare, but I've always heard the quality on most replicas are not good, so I've always been wary of buying one.
7D6XeYI.jpg

The other knife being a Martindale machete like the one Quint uses in Jaws.
cRJCGUy.jpg
I've got a Rambo knock off it's an Explorer RAMII 21-033. Got it back when "First Blood" debuted. It's pretty solid, wouldn't use it for hunting and such, but it's a conversation piece. Probably get one for under $40.00.

vintage-explorer-ram-ii-21-033_1_0bf72b63027868231e6dd3cc7f24791d.jpg

It's got fishing line and a hook in the plastic bag and under the removable pommel is a substandard compass, so don't get lost if you have this knife. It's best use is as a wall or drawer decoration.

basbol13

A-List Customer
I can not recall any westerns in which soldiers were armed with trapdoor Springfield rifles.

In the movie Shenandoah, one did appear as a stand in for a muzzle loader in a civil war battle scene. Present where they shouldn't be, and absent where they ought to be.
I believe they used them in "Gettysburg". Also in "Virginia City" (1940).

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
In Disney's "Davy Crockett" the backgroud extras have trapdoors with dummied-up fake flintlocks while the foreground actors have replica flinters. It saved a lot of time that way and you didn't have to train the extras to load and what to do in case of a misfire. And they'd use those 5-in-one blanks.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I had the opportunity to visit Stembridge Guns a couple of times, they were the Western Costume of movie guns. Picture the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark full of firearms. Insane. They had thousands and thousands of guns that so far as I know never made it into any movies. I remember seeing 50 gallon drums full of Side-hammer Colt Revolving Rifles, a couple of Gyrojets (didn't James Caan use one in something?), and crates of Webly Automatics. And Gatlings, and Bofors AA guns.

Though it wasn't commonly known, anyone could go there and rent a gun, just like anyone could go to Western Costume ... the semi autos were all modified for blanks and some of the cap and ball revolvers were modified for cartridges, the rest were just guns ... though generally used to death. I used to get sent there to pick up props for various productions because I knew enough to choose the ones that would function better than average. There are a few stories about their demise, but I'm not sure which are true and which are not at this late date.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

half_springfield_rifle_zps71u6mejh.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

One of so may from the golden era! Or don't carbines count?

ChrisB

A-List Customer
Nope, barrels gotta be over 24" !

TD Springfields must have been in plentiful supply in that era, you could probably buy them by the gross from Bannerman's.

I recall reading that some of the rifles in the background of "Zulu" were actually bolt action rifles (Lee Enfield?) rather than the Martini Henry.

I've got a Rambo knock off it's an Explorer RAMII 21-033. Got it back when "First Blood" debuted. It's pretty solid, wouldn't use it for hunting and such, but it's a conversation piece. Probably get one for under $40.00.

vintage-explorer-ram-ii-21-033_1_0bf72b63027868231e6dd3cc7f24791d.jpg

It's got fishing line and a hook in the plastic bag and under the removable pommel is a substandard compass, so don't get lost if you have this knife. It's best use is as a wall or drawer decoration.

The actual Rambo knives were made by Jimmy Lile. This one is $2250!

newfb-large.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
There was mention of the movie,"Davy Crockett",
( I collected the gum-cards)
Recently saw the film "Alamo" starring Billy Bob.
This portrayal has the siege taking place very early when it
was dark.
Others films have the battle taking place during daylight.
I believe the guns used were of the black powder flint-lock type.
There's reference that the men at the Alamo had several by their
side. Loading took time. So it makes sense.
The attacking soldiers probably were carrying a musket.
After firing their weapon... how were they able to reload in the
dark while running to attack?

I also saw several documentaries regarding "Custer's Last Stand".
There is mention of Henry rifles used by the indians.
Not sure what weapons the 7th used.
It was pointed out that this was another reason for the results
of the outcome. Although most blame Custer for making the
wrong decisions.
It was also pointed out that the location known as "Custer's Last Stand"
was not the final scene of the battle as shown in movies.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21