Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a wrist watch on the underside of your wrist

Talbot

One Too Many
Can anyone tell me about the practice of wearing a wrist watch on the underside of your wrist.

I did a search to no avail, and I didn't want to hijack the thread of wether you wear your watch on your right hand or not.

If this has been posted already, apols and please delete.

I have read about it as something to indicate a man of action from around WWII, and have seen it some John Wayne movies!

Been bugging me for ages. Please enlighten me!

Tks

Talbot

DerMann

Practically Family
The Wolf said:
I've heard it is so the crystal doesn't get scratched by your arm brushing against something.

Sincerely,
The Wolf
That's why pocket watches are superior ;)

That is the only reason I could imagine why one would wear their watch upside down. However, it's basically nulled by the fact that it would be hitting something every time you set your wrist down while you're sitting at a table or desk.

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
The only reasons I could think of are if you're doing something like driving or flying where you need to keep you hands on the controls, with the watch on the underside of your wrist you could check the time without letting go.
Or if your watch had a glowing dial this might keep it hidden better.

Other than that....[huh]

norton

One of the Regulars
This goes back aways, but my grandfather always wore his watch that way when I remember him in the early sixties. It's funny, because I couldn't have been more than five or six, but I remember asking him why he did that and he said it was so that he wouldn't scratch the crystal.

I work at a desk, so I think I'd be more likely to scratch it that way, but he was a surveyor. When I'm out and about I frequently bang my watch crystal on a door frame or corner, so I think it makes sense.

Remember, the older watches had real, breakable, crystal. Now nicer watches have mineral glass or saphire crystals.

Josephine

One Too Many
When I wear a watch I wear it on the inside of my wrist. I like it because (not that I wear bulky watches though) I don't like the bulk of the face on the outside of my wrist, getting caught on and bumping into things. It makes for a smoother look, IMO. I also realized I like the "secretive" nature of wearing it on the inside, turning your wrist to check the time. :) But once when I was on the computer and a program was acting up I slammed my hand down on the desk in frustration and cracked the crystal. [huh]

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I haven't been wearing one for some time, but otherwise always on the inside. The obvious reason is that that's how my father did it.

For others, less obvious reasons might be that it's subjectively easier or more convenient to read it, or that it's a matter of understatement in case of a precious watch.

Spilling a drink!

There is a famous comedy sketch which gets done by Benny Hill. Here Benny is the guy with the watch face on the back of the wrist and gets asked what time is it while holding a drink in that hand. He pours the drink on his own lap. Moments later the guy next to him with his watch face on the inside of his wrist checks and pours his drink on Benny's lap too!

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
So you can tell the time just before you pull the trigger without having to rotate your wrist....

cooncatbob

Practically Family
DerMann said:
That's why pocket watches are superior ;)

That is the only reason I could imagine why one would wear their watch upside down. However, it's basically nulled by the fact that it would be hitting something every time you set your wrist down while you're sitting at a table or desk.

I don't think so, pockets aren't that great of protection and most pocket watches are more fragile then wrist watches.
I crushed a pocket watch that was in my front pocket while carrying a dresser up a flight of stairs. It was just one of those cheap Baby Ben but it was history.
I've had a Seiko divers watch for 28 years and relatively indistuctable.

GWD

One Too Many
I always thought this was started by military personnel so the sun wouldn't reflect off the crystal and give their position away. This is of course just my theory, I have no back up whatsoever.

Talbot

One Too Many
Thanks for the great responses. Wearing my wristwatch on the inside might cut down on fraying my suit trouser pockets. I work at a desk so I will try it for the weekend and see what feels more natural.

Reg'ds
Talbot

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
I wear mine on the inside of my wrist for two reasons:

1. I walk/bump into door frames, wall corners, etc. quite often - my vision is off I guess - and I don't bang my watch into these items. Banging into things that are painted often transfers the paint from the object onto the watch crystal, leaving a bright white line that quite often is near to impossible to remove.

2. When flexing the wrist, as when pushing out of a chair, or on a desk, or doing pushups, the crown does not dig into the back of my hand - which HURTS when it happens.

So there you go, two practical reasons for wearing your watch upside down.

dv

Talbot

One Too Many
DavidVillaJr said:
1. I walk/bump into door frames, wall corners, etc. quite often - my vision is off I guess - and I don't bang my watch into these items. Banging into things that are painted often transfers the paint from the object onto the watch crystal, leaving a bright white line that quite often is near to impossible to remove.

dv

I bang into stuff often. I blame the Martini's :) You can remove scratches and scuffs from acrylic watch crystals with a metal polish like Brasso. Just put a little on a rag and lightly polish the crystal. Wipe off when dry. Dont bear down too hard, especially if its a vintage watch as you may push the crystal out. Brasso is also good for bringing up bakelite etc...

undertaker

Practically Family
My dad wore his wristwatch on the inside. He was truckdriver and liked to keep a firm grasp on the steering wheel all of the time. He also always wore huge watches (I think he was getting a little hard of seeing,:)) and he could tell the time at a quick glance. He always had "a schedule to keep".

Regards,
J.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21