Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing my Fedora for the first time any advice

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I'm actually thinking of chronicalling my experiences with the new hat(or does one refer to it as a lid) once it arrives.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A new hat wearer's self-comfort factor is the single biggest obstacle. When trying any new type of clothing you have to become used to looking like it belongs on you. As others have said, wear it at home doing ordinary stuff. Look at yourself in the mirror. Make funny faces. Make suave faces. Anything to lighten your own mood.

The first few times you go out, try to think like you have nothing unusual on your head (sometimes easier said than done). The first compliment or two goes a long way towards easing the mind. Dealing properly with the first smart-ass remark will also help. Have a couple of sure-fire lines ready (one of my favorites is, 'Did you think of that all by yourself, or did you have some help?'), or, of course you can just smile and move on. Either way, don't let it bother you. People who offer up useless negativity are basically just negative and useless themselves.

At any rate, in short order you will feel perfectly comfortable with your hat (of the day) on your head. Then you will come to the point that you won't be able to leave the house without it (at least that's how it is for me). And people you see all the time will not recognize you without it. And people you don't see all the time won't even bat an eye because you will be sooooo comfortable in your hat.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
My concern is the reaction I'm going to get.

You might want to try Fred Astaire's approach.
Whenever he got a new hat or suit, the first thing he did was to throw it against the wall, "to take the newness out of it".
He also did it "just to show who's boss".

felkor

New in Town
I got my first fedora just over a week ago. I was self-conscious about wearing it too, although that mostly faded away when I actually put it on and looked in a mirror. I have worn it almost every day since I got it now. I have not gotten a single comment at all from a stranger, but people I know have commented a lot on it. While there's the occasional Indiana Jones or gangster comment, no comments have been negative - it's all been positive comments.

In the end, you're wearing it for yourself, not for others, so just put it on and have fun with it. :)

jkingrph

Practically Family
I started with some of the venelated Tilley hats and got positive comments never associated with "baseball caps" so quickly gravitated to dress fedora's. The most positive comments I have received have been from girls young enough to be granddaughters!

Put it on, wear it and don't think about it.

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
The comments thing for me is kinda strange and unexpected. It never occurred to me when I started wearing westerns full time that people on the street would say anything at all or even notice but they do. Mostly women, sometimes 3 or 4 in less than an hour will say something like "nice hat" and occasionally I'll be in Costco or whatever and some guy about my own age will ask where can you buy hats like that around here. Get a lot of people asking me where I'm from as well - usually they think I'm visiting from Calgary...lol

Never had any negative remarks not that I'd care - but if it happened I'd probably laugh and say something like "what no mirrors in your house Jim Bob? You oughta have a look at yourself sometime; I can take this hat off whenever I feel like it but you!! ... well you're always gonna look like THAT!! ... and take it from me dood, you ain't got nuthin to laugh about"...lol

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The comments thing for me is kinda strange and unexpected. It never occurred to me when I started wearing westerns full time that people on the street would say anything at all or even notice but they do. Mostly women, sometimes 3 or 4 in less than an hour will say something like "nice hat" and occasionally I'll be in Costco or whatever and some guy about my own age will ask where can you buy hats like that around here. Get a lot of people asking me where I'm from as well - usually they think I'm visiting from Calgary...lol

Never had any negative remarks not that I'd care - but if it happened I'd probably laugh and say something like "what no mirrors in your house Jim Bob? You oughta have a look at yourself sometime; I can take this hat off whenever I feel like it but you!! ... well you're always gonna look like THAT!! ... and take it from me dood, you ain't got nuthin to laugh about"...lol

Brilliant!

But I find that when I am in Calgary, the dominant hat is the toque'. I find myself almost alone wearing a brimmed felt hat.

The Calgary (relentless, never ending, merciless) wind may be a factor. I've never seen the like!

Tho' a few years ago in a Calgary Feb. (-40° for weeks... nice & sunny tho'!) we ordered up some Asian food- the doorbell rings and there, in the swirling snow, stands a skinny little geriatric Chinese delivery guy in an honest-to-god Coonskin cap... I still laugh -mostly about my (well hidden) reaction of hilarity. I come all the way from Tennessee to then see someone in a "Daniel Boone" hat!

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
...I come all the way from Tennessee to then see someone in a "Daniel Boone" hat!

Yeah, life's like that sometimes...lol

They got some serious wind and cold out there though. I lived in Edmonton for awhile - we got nuthin like that here for winter. Pretty much toques and ball caps everywhere - don't see too many westerns but fedoras seem to be around a fair bit now.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've ordered a very nice Indy Fedora. I really love the hat.

I have never worn a hat other than a baseball cap, and plan to wear the Fedora as my standard go to lid.

My concern is the reaction I'm going to get.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

At onetime, everyone here donned their Fedora for the first time in public and I'm quite sure with a little trepidation.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Be brave and ballsy.

Dress up sharp as a tack. Smack on the Feddie and head out into the world.

If someone gives you evil eyes or any kind of lip - Just tell yourself that you look awesome, because you do. They're jealous because they don't have the dedication, balls, courage and chutzbah to dress up as amazing as you're decked out.

Confidence, my friend. Confidence.

Do that often enough and it will become second nature.

If you act like a sheep when you're doing it, people will notice.

Don't be afraid. Be brave. Only bravery gets you anywhere.

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Enjoy yourself, the Italians have a word that means personal style, unfortunately I can't remember the word, but I believe that is what I'm doing when I wear one of my fedoras out. Don't forget to tip your hat to the ladies, they love that!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They got some serious wind and cold out there though. I lived in Edmonton for awhile - we got nuthin like that here for winter. Pretty much toques and ball caps everywhere - don't see too many westerns but fedoras seem to be around a fair bit now.

Yeah, the true meaning of winter, if you must plug your' engine block into the wall to keep it from cracking- God is telling you "This is not a place humans were meant to live!" lol.

I am seeing an increase in fedora/outback hats on gents around here, mostly 50+ who no longer give a shite about what others think... or never did. Too many mall bought litefelts- but it's a start. And I saw an old fella with a lovely vintage the other day at Home Despot, whom I naturally complemented & a guy at the grocery with a Miller Bros wide brim Porkpie.

And I'll tell ya' this- I stroll through all but the most violent rain storms, at my pace, no umbrella, no hurry, no worry. Campdraft on my bean, dry as can be- and the object of envious glances of those bolting for their cars or other destinations... and I enjoy a bit of Schadenfreude. shakeshead

The key is YOU wear the hat. The HAT DOESN'T wear you.

Be brave and ballsy.

Dress up sharp as a tack. Smack on the Feddie and head out into the world.

If someone gives you evil eyes or any kind of lip - Just tell yourself that you look awesome, because you do. They're jealous because they don't have the dedication, balls, courage and chutzbah to dress up as amazing as you're decked out.

Confidence, my friend. Confidence.

Do that often enough and it will become second nature.

If you act like a sheep when you're doing it, people will notice.

Don't be afraid. Be brave. Only bravery gets you anywhere.

WELL SAID!
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

"life isn't a dress rehearsal"
~Anon

"If you ain't busy bein' born, you're busy dyin'!"
~Bob Dylan

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
Time she's a fast old train.
She's here then she's gone.
And she won't come again.

Townes Van Zandt

So, while life is in you, wear whatever kinda hat you like and drive whatever kind of vehicle you like because yer gonna be dead for a long, long time and you can't take too much with you when ya go.

Chief000731

Practically Family
I too just started wearing my fedoras I have about 12 I started buying them a month ago, I have received a few complements, nothing negative not that I would care like everybody said they are for you the wearer. It sure made a difference when I dressed up the first time and put my fedora on now it just seems natural to grab one on my way out. I don't know how to post pictures so I can upload any not that anybody wants to see. But I am very proud of my hats and I enjoy expereminting with them and bashing the crown the way I like them. Just wear it buddy you'll look great and glad you did, never be ashamed or afraid they make a person look sophisticated and worldly, A man about town!!

seabass

Call Me a Cab
just slap it on & go out....if you have a good fit , felt, you forget its there,
well easy for me to say been wearin fedoras for over 30+ years....
heck my sons wore em young well they go for them late 60's stingys
my 4 year old grand son wears em regularly complete with stains & wrinkles & cookie crumbs
all vintage too.... just go for it !

Shangas

I'll Lock Up

WELL SAID!
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thank you.

That's the attitude I took & take, to everything I wear. And if you do it with confidence, people will respond positively. I've had countless people tell me how good my hats and/or general attire is, and I've had at least three people ask me where they can buy hats.

Ralphin Ormond

New in Town
Recently I wore my new VS out to lunch wearing a crew neck sweater, no jacket. That felt daring to me until, on my way to the restaurant, I burst out laughing and said to myself, "I just like to wear a hat. Who cares? Everyone is dressing himself any old way he wants to, why wouldn't I do the same?" I think that moment settled the self-conciousness thing for me. Meanwhile, I feel like I am getting very nice respect from the public while hatted. Life is good. Fedoras are icing on the cake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto