Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing Scarves

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Hello Gents,

I've recently acquired a new scarf. However, I'm embarassed to say that I'm not quite sure the best way to wear it. Draped around the neck under the jacket? Draped on the outside of the jacket under the collar? On top of the collar? Tied or untied? Is it okay to turn the collar up on a leather jacket and tie the scarf around it to keep it shut?

I'm just looking for the best vintage approach. What is your approach?

Thanks.

LetterJ

New in Town
I wear one for my 10 minute walk to the bus in Minnesota winter. Given that, my goal for wearing one is mostly for temperature and not for style.

So, when trying to keep warm, what I do is to wear it inside my coat collar, overlapping in front with the ends inside the coat. Basically, it then covers my upper chest/lower neck. I also frequently turn the collar of the coat up as well.

When fighting REALLY cold wind, I wrap around my face instead and pull up the collar arround my neck, still tucking the ends in the coat.

When I am wearing it in between the cold (like the busride itself), I put it under the collar, untied and draping alongside the two sides of the front.

I usually do the same for leather. I pretty much never use a scarf as any sort of "cinching" device. Rather, I use it to either cover something that the coat or hat doesn't or "stored" when not actively being used by the draping.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I wear mine under the jacket tied in a half knot like an ascot with a little fluffing of the part hanging over in front so it looks okeh.
If the weather isn't too cold, but I'm wearing it for later, I hang it around my neck but just cross it at about my third of fourth shirt button.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

farnham54

A-List Customer
I like mine to cover a fair bit of my neck with a fair bit of insulation, so I fold it in the middle, creating a loop, and then run the two loose ends through the loop. A good, long scarf is best when doing this.

I've been doing it for about 4 years, and NOW it's becoming trendy :S Jude Law's character in Alfie wears it like that, if you need a visual.

Cheers,
Craig

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'd say it depends upon the weather or the occasion.

Wrap it around your neck to keep warm while you're outdoors. Once indoors, if you're not taking your jacket off, drape it over your shoulders as a decoration with either end hanging down the breast of your jacket on both sides. This is especially impressive with silk scarves. I picked one up for a song the last time that I was at Art's (I had to sing and tap dance like Fred Astaire, tough crowd!...kidding.). I'm going to raid the Benbow Inn in northern California this coming weekend with a gang of retrophiles, the scarf should come in handy, considering the weather recently!

Sergei

Gone Home
Dave Marshall (formely from Flight Suits) taught me to tie the scarf the way aviators did it. You basically start the same way with a regular tie, one end is longer. You wrap the scarf around you neck twice, then you fold the scarf over and flare it out. You zip up your jacket and you have a nice semi-airtight seal with the scarf puffed out.

151425.jpg

-S

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for the help. Some excellent ideas. I'm going to try each one and see what suits me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112