Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding

Canadian

One of the Regulars
Ok,

I'm attending a rather unconventional wedding next week. It's unconventional in a number of ways, but I will be there for 4 nights, one of which is a rehearsal dinner and one is the actual wedding.

On the day of the wedding, it starts at 3PM and goes till 10PM or later.

What does a guy wear to a rehearsal dinner and a wedding in hot weather, potential for rain and several hours in the sun. I may have to play lawn games for over two hours, dine in a tent and then head inside.

I am not staying on site, so I can't have multiple clothing changes. My initial thought was seersucker, but is it appropriate to wear seersucker to a wedding if everybody else is in those horrid slim-fit black suits? My other options are linen or lightweight polyester. No lightweight wool options I'm afraid.

Also, what does a proper gentleman wear for going around a resort town on foot. I will be attending museums and eating out for the days previous to the wedding while I'm in town.

C.

Edward

Bartender
Suitwise, I'd go linen, preferably in a darker colour.

Footwear.... go for comfort as you're on yourt feet for that long. Personally, I'd reach for a pair of broken-in co-respondents; failing that, perhaps some white bucks.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So if you are Attending (not in) the wedding and if they are real friends - you should not have to worry much about what you wear, just be comfortable. Probably a nice breathable long-sleeve shirt, nice khaki's and a tie are plenty. I've not worn a suit to a wedding in years.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Suitwise, I'd go linen, preferably in a darker colour.

Footwear.... go for comfort as you're on yourt feet for that long. Personally, I'd reach for a pair of broken-in co-respondents; failing that, perhaps some white bucks.
Darker colour? Oh dear, I think I might have broken that rule. This time last year we went to a rather splendid wedding that had a similar dress mode conundrum. As it had an Hawaiian theme, I wore a light blue linen suit with flower garland, and later, when things warmed up, I changed out of the shirt and tie into a blue floral shirt.
aloha 088.jpg aloha 016.JPG

Edward

Bartender
Hey, if the occasion calls for it, go less conservative, why not? The pale blue looks great! Is it a vintage cut, or a contemporary label? Oliver Brown have a very nice one in stock this year in a powdery blue; I've had one of their linen suits for a few years now, and it has a very nice cut, quite fifties imo.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hey, if the occasion calls for it, go less conservative, why not? The pale blue looks great! Is it a vintage cut, or a contemporary label?
It's very much a late 1930's style, the back has the half belt, I thought about the box pleats but took Rob Crossley's advice, he said that linen crumples so easily and that the pleats would soon look like I had slept in it, so I omitted the pleats. Rob Crossley is the tailor from Rocacha. The suit was made to measure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points