Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weekend "Safari"

Renault

One Too Many
Returned yesterday afternoon from our winter get-together, out on the velt of Llano County Texas. Game was plentiful, food was great, and we even imbibed a bit in the evening.... Won't bore you with a mess of pics so here are just a few......

100_3095.jpg

Yours Truly

100_3091.jpg

The Leper Colony

100_3102.jpg

Happy Hunter! (With one of our electronic pop-up targets)

Ton ami

Renault Sahib

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Kodiak Double

I wish you would quit posting these photos Renault! Up tell now, I was perfectly content in the knowledge that I could not afford an African Safari complete with a nice Double Big Bore Rifle. Now I see, I could buy a Small Bore Double and have at least as much fun. I have spotted a few Pedersoli Kodiak Doubles in 45-70 and I have over a hundred spent brass cases, hmmmmm........ :D

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I wish you would quit posting these photos Renault! Up tell now, I was perfectly content in the knowledge that I could not afford an African Safari complete with a nice Double Big Bore Rifle. Now I see, I could buy a Small Bore Double and have at least as much fun. I have spotted a few Pedersoli Kodiak Doubles in 45-70 and I have over a hundred spent brass cases, hmmmmm.......]. :D

Oh, those are fabulous. And if you get two, McCool Gunsmithing in Tulsa, OK has developed a bit of a cottage industry rechambering the 45/70's for 450 NE. Strangely, all reports are that it works like a charm. Then you would be forced to start saving for the Real Thing. They're a gas. Been on five and would love to go again. And I just might . . .

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Oh, those are fabulous. And if you get two, McCool Gunsmithing in Tulsa, OK has developed a bit of a cottage industry rechambering the 45/70's for 450 NE. Strangely, all reports are that it works like a charm. Then you would be forced to start saving for the Real Thing. They're a gas. Been on five and would love to go again. And I just might . . .
There was an article a couple of years back in Gun Journal I believe, the author took the 45-70 out to 45-120, which is basically the same case as the .450 except the head. He shot black powder, so it was almost a modern BP Express Double. You are right, this is a good time to buy!

Baggers

Practically Family
We obviously have the same outfitter...

...with the same taste in cardigans. I've worn the devil out of mine. I should warn, however, that if you hand wash it, be prepared for a lot of dye crocking. The wash water was opaque olive green by the time I began rinsing. It didn't seem to hurt the overall color once it had dried, perhaps softened it a bit, but nothing dramatic. Hasn't stopped it from being my new favorite though. Now if I can just get some more cold weather in which to wear it, I'll be back in business.

Are those the Fox puttees, or the regular issued ones?

Renault

One Too Many
You gotta wash this stuff??????? As for tailors, it's Steiner, Steiner, Steiner, and Steiner. But, I usually see Steiner...... However, I stay away from Steiner!!!!!

They are regular issue puttees. One has to put up with what's available at the time. However, I was just thinking about a nicer pair of the fox ones for the next outing.

As for he other photos,,,,,,, imagine the area just in front of the trenches at Ypres....... You get the picture........ Maybe when this blasted machine is not acting up so much.....

Da*&%$^&m Pigmy rhinos again!!!!!!
RenaultsRhino.jpg

Always there under your feet!!!!!

Last edited:

Baggers

Practically Family
You gotta wash this stuff???????

It's a quirk I have, like bathing. Once a year...whether it needs it or not. My wife, and some of the people I work with from time to time, appreciate the gesture. They can only stand so much "character." The amount of dye release surprised me. I hadn't noticed any transfer to whatever light colored shirts I'd worn under it.

Thought the puttees looked a bit dark for Fox brand, but I wanted to make sure. I'm thinking of adding a pair to my kit.

Renault

One Too Many
Renault, how good is the tent in the rain after the paint job?

I also would love to see more photo's. Keep em' coming :)

This tent is about 30 years old. Basically, I traded a Jersey bull for it. It was getting a bit worn, and several times I had sprayed it with Thompson's water seal with the assistance of a garden sprayer. However, first time out after the paint job, on our annual wild hog hunt, we had a "blue norther" come thru dumping lots of rain. Paint job performed admirably! High wind did transplant the 9 x 9 awning to another portion of the camp!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Returned yesterday afternoon from our winter get-together, out on the velt of Llano County Texas. Game was plentiful, food was great, and we even imbibed a bit in the evening.... Won't bore you with a mess of pics so here are just a few......

100_3095.jpg

Yours Truly

Ton ami

Renault Sahib

So, do tell. Where did you scare up that fantastic shawl collar cardigan?

Cheers!

Dan

Renault

One Too Many
Dan, It's from What Price Glory! Available in the OD and wellas an off white... I love the thing!!!!

Okay all, a few more pics

100_3110.jpg

Mr. McMullen taking an impala!

100_3125.jpg

Preparing for the evening meal!

100_3122.jpg

Yes ladies, that eye patch is for real,,, for the time being..... And I am embarrassed to say I am partially responsible for it! Another hunting story.... Well it was my buck......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21