Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wested vs US Wings: Who has the best Indiana Jones jacket?

ron521

One of the Regulars
Seeing the recent photos of a new Indy jacket from Wested got me to thinking about the style, so spent some time browsing the Wested website, where they indicate that the Indy jacket is "imported".

I don't have any problem with this at all, one of my favorite jackets, which I've owned for 25 years, is a Korean made "Berman's" flight jacket.

However, viewing the US Wings site, they proclaim proudly that their jacket is US made.

Has anyone made direct comparison between the Wested and the US Wings "Indiana Jones" jackets.

If so, which seemed to be of better materials? Which seemed to have better workmanship? (If there WAS any difference).

Kid Mac

Practically Family
The Wested Indy "off the rack" jackets (i.e., standard sizes) are imported. The Wested custom Indy jackets (custom sizing) are made in England. As Feraud notes, lots more at Club Obi-Wan http://www.indygear.com/cow/

Mac

ron521

One of the Regulars
Doesn't seem to be much going on at Club Obi Wan now, can't read posts at all, other than a few notices from the mod's.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Ron,

You need to register to see all posts. See register button underneath the Indy silhouette at the top of the page.

Mac

ron521

One of the Regulars
You can't register without answering a question about archaeology, said "read the rules", however I could not find the answer, probably very obvious but not apparant to me.

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
ron521 said:
You can't register without answering a question about archaeology, said "read the rules", however I could not find the answer, probably very obvious but not apparant to me.

If you go to the main page, click the link that says "Forum Rules...PLEASE READ BEFORE REGISTERING" and then click on the link that says:
"NEW MEMBER REGISTRATION: You really SHOULD read this!"

Or just go to this link:

http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20697

STW

Familiar Face
My US Wings "type 440 (G-8)" jacket in goat from the late 80s is still going well after 20+ years, if it helps to know longevity of a similar jacket from them.

The goatskin broke in well, very supple but tough. The seal color is now varied with browner lighter wear points at collars cuffs, etc. The buttons on cuffs and pocket flaps are secure as ever. Zip on front and sleeves still in good shape. Lining shows wear but not at all close to wearing though anywhere. Seems to have been a well made jacket.

Don't remember if they made a specifically Indy inspired jacket back then. I wasn't thinking Indy when I got it, but now I see that it's a US flyer type jacket with a straight hanging longer body with adjusters, no knits.

Mine has that 80s style way-too-narrow collar and I see from their site they still use it.

http://www.uswings.com/g-8.asp

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Wested is okay. Not as tough a build as Wings. But the Wings jackets are not all that accurate - if that matters to you.

I would go Gibson and Barnes in goat if you want a tough and reasonably accurate version. I have this one and it is one of the best made jackets I have seen. Wings is a good tough product, however.

ron521

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the clue, Schulte, and thanks to the rest of you for your insight.
I've registered and am awaiting my confirmation email to arrive.
I'm actually not sure myself how important accuracy is, since multiple jackets with differing details were used within each movie.
I suppose I'm looking for the general style, not a stitch-by-stitch recreation.
Even if a hypothetical Indy had kept replacing his jacket with the same model from the same manufacturer, they could have changed details through the years, as Schott has with their Perfecto motorcycle jackets.
The comments regarding relative toughness are helpful.

filfoster

One Too Many
Gibson and Barnes Indy

Seb Lucas said:
Wested is okay. Not as tough a build as Wings. But the Wings jackets are not all that accurate - if that matters to you.

I would go Gibson and Barnes in goat if you want a tough and reasonably accurate version. I have this one and it is one of the best made jackets I have seen. Wings is a good tough product, however.
The 'Expedition' seems less accurate than the distressed Wings calfskin from the picture. If you've seen both then I have to defer but it's hard to tell from the pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points