Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Lefty, very nice hat! If you remove the side pinches it definitely gives a Western hat more of a rounded barrel look from the front. It can help on a hat with a bit of taper to it. I don't have any side pinches in this hat for that very reason.

IMG_3634.jpg

Certain Western hats just look better without side pinches. I think it's a combination of the crown height & the crease that effects the barrel look. Think about it; you never see a telescope crease with side pinches or a very tall crown. A really tall crown really magnifies the barrel look. I don't have any side pinches with this horseshoe crease & really like the barrel look from the front.

s3lpg9.jpg

Try it. They shouldn't be hard for you to put back in if you don't like the look.

HJ, what are the dimensions on the black hat. I really like it and I have an NOS Bailey 50X I've had for some time that I've been trying to figure out what to do with. It has a self felted band that has to go, 5 1/2 OC and a 4" brim. The hat has been on the shelf for a year and I guess I ought to do something with it.

HJ, what are the dimensions on the black hat. I really like it and I have an NOS Bailey 50X I've had for some time that I've been trying to figure out what to do with. It has a self felted band that has to go, 5 1/2 OC and a 4" brim. The hat has been on the shelf for a year and I guess I ought to do something with it.
Sorry for the slow reply, BB. I'm wolfing down some burgers off the grill before SNF.

Its's a 3-1/2" brim with pencil curl & 1-1/2" ribbon, 5-1/2" crown as creased. I didn't measure open crown but I would guess it is probably 5-3/4".

boze

One of the Regulars
I'm loving the used Gun Club I got recently. I like 3 to 4" brims but don't care for a really stiff hat or the stiffer felt many westerns have. What would be some good options for me to try new or watch for used? For my birthday I'm eyeing a Bushman because my sweet spot is a fedora crown with a western brim. It seems the world of non-cowboy westerns is largely HatCo Stetsons, often in buffalo felt.
d2f25f3774cbf626e2a767d8ecd50e1a.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
@boze I like old Resistols , and the Stetsons most like , but with tall Crowns . Guess I'm feeling my age and liking some shorter Brim Westerns more now , but it could just be a phase . Resistol Tall Pine , and Las Vegas are nice in 3X . The Tall Crown gives you options . There are some great Custom Hats around when you find them .

boze

One of the Regulars
@boze I like old Resistols , and the Stetsons most like , but with tall Crowns . Guess I'm feeling my age and liking some shorter Brim Westerns more now , but it could just be a phase . Resistol Tall Pine , and Las Vegas are nice in 3X . The Tall Crown gives you options . There are some great Custom Hats around when you find them .
Is 3x Resistol okay? Is there an amount of beaveryness to shoot for or is more important to go as vintage as possible?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Is 3x Resistol okay? Is there an amount of beaveryness to shoot for or is more important to go as vintage as possible?

Other than a 50X or 100X I wonder if the lower quality is just a Quality level of the Hat . 3X can feel better and look better than more modern Higher Quality Hats to me , especially in older Hats . I think 5x , 7X , 10X , 15X , and others are Nice , but older 3X are just as good or better in many cases . I like thinner felt normally . I think there's a mystery going on about the amount of beaver that nobody knows .

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Lefty, very nice hat! If you remove the side pinches it definitely gives a Western hat more of a rounded barrel look from the front. It can help on a hat with a bit of taper to it. I don't have any side pinches in this hat for that very reason.

Certain Western hats just look better without side pinches. I think it's a combination of the crown height & the crease that effects the barrel look. Think about it; you never see a telescope crease with side pinches or a very tall crown. A really tall crown really magnifies the barrel look. I don't have any side pinches with this horseshoe crease & really like the barrel look from the front.

Try it. They shouldn't be hard for you to put back in if you don't like the look.
Good points, and great hats there, HJ. I will fire up the tea kettle and remove the side pinches, and see how that works.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Other than a 50X or 100X I wonder if the lower quality is just a Quality level of the Hat . 3X can feel better and look better than more modern Higher Quality Hats to me , especially in older Hats . I think 5x , 7X , 10X , 15X , and others are Nice , but older 3X are just as good or better in many cases . I like thinner felt normally . I think there's a mystery going on about the amount of beaver that nobody knows .
+1

The older 3X hats are very nice.... I would say as nice, or nicer, than my 70's 5X Stetson, which I still really like BTW.

Ok, in another shop.....my wife says "there is an old Stetson box up there".....I look up and sure enough it looks like a cool 50's western box.....really cool graphics.........I wonder if the insert is in it and how much?
20171009_143029.jpg 20171009_143019.jpg 20171009_143054.jpg
First picture shows the true color.........
Now back to the story..........My thoughts must have been said out loud because the owner of the shop says the magic words......" it has a hat in it".......so now my thoughts (as I clear the plastic mustang, one of the large cool battery models the dealerships gave out) OFF of the now possibly precious Stetson box.....ok...so there is a hat....probebly a woman's hat.....or some cheap 70's stingy brim....or.....
Then the shop owner comes over to help get the box down and open it.....then with the lid off.....the light and angels emanate from the now open box!!!!
20171009_145741.jpg

Inside is a (mid-fifties?) 3X Beaver Quality, bound brim 6 cord ribbon STETSON Western hat. In addition it is 7 5/8!!!!!!!!!!!! It also has what appears to be an original sterling longhorn/horseshoe pin (now did Stetson use these?).
Needless to say I am wearing it as I write this, as it did come home with me.........
Here are the details: 3 3/8 bound brim, crown bashed as found, front 4 1/2 at center dent, sides 5 3/8, open crown is about 6". Six cord ribbon is just over 1/2", and the sweat is 2". Liner has the full embroidered "Last Drop" logo with XXX and Stetson underneath. It has the oilskin tip protector (not the later clear plastic) and the onionskin protector behind the sweat. This hat has been worn.....but not much, not much at all. It is in really great shape.......must have been worn only for those very special occasions.....and then returned to its box. Enjoy the pictures of this nice hat while I have fun wearing it!
Cheers,
M
20171009_143642.jpg 20171009_143759.jpg 20171009_143650.jpg 20171009_143702.jpg 20171009_143817.jpg 20171009_143827.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Ok, in another shop.....my wife says "there is an old Stetson box up there".....I look up and sure enough it looks like a cool 50's western box.....really cool graphics.........I wonder if the insert is in it and how much?
View attachment 88753 View attachment 88754 View attachment 88755
Now back to the story..........My thoughts must have been said out loud because the owner of the shop says the magic words......" it has a hat in it".......so now my thoughts (as I clear the plastic mustang, one of the large cool battery models the dealerships gave out) OFF of the now possibly precious Stetson box.....ok...so there is a hat....probebly a woman's hat.....or some cheap 70's stingy brim....or.....
Then the shop owner comes over to help get the box down and open it.....then with the lid off.....the light and angels emanate from the now open box!!!!
View attachment 88756
Inside is a (mid-fifties?) 3X Beaver Quality, bound brim 6 cord ribbon STETSON Western hat. In addition it is 7 5/8!!!!!!!!!!!! It also has what appears to be an original sterling longhorn/horseshoe pin (now did Stetson use these?).
Needless to say I am wearing it as I write this, as it did come home with me.........
Here are the details: 3 3/8 bound brim, crown bashed as found, front 4 1/2 at center dent, sides 5 3/8, open crown is about 6". Six cord ribbon is just over 1/2", and the sweat is 2". Liner has the full embroidered "Last Drop" logo with XXX and Stetson underneath. It has the oilskin tip protector (not the later clear plastic) and the onionskin protector behind the sweat. This hat has been worn.....but not much, not much at all. It is in really great shape.......must have been worn only for those very special occasions.....and then returned to its box. Enjoy the pictures of this nice hat while I have fun wearing it!
Cheers,
M
View attachment 88758 View attachment 88759 View attachment 88760 View attachment 88763 View attachment 88764 View attachment 88765
Score!!! What a find!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 88753 View attachment 88754 View attachment 88755
View attachment 88756
Cheers,
M
View attachment 88758 View attachment 88759 View attachment 88760 View attachment 88763 View attachment 88764 View attachment 88765

:rolleyes: WHOA ! What Amazing Fortune . My size also . M you must be living right o_O . Unbelievable :) Congratulations ;) Wear it in Good Health !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points