Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

I'd like to start a new thread but it would likely end up here anyway. In the past there were "man shops". Have to think Little Joes in OKC and the stores around the Stockyards is as close as we'd get these days. In the day of the Internet is there still a brick and mortar store in business where you could order or buy a custom hat and boots in the same building?

If there is I'd sure like to visit.
Depends on your definition of custom & whether this is a men's only establishment. Besides Leddy's I can think of Drysdales in Tulsa, Rockmount Ranchwear, Denver, Cheyenne Outfitters, etc. But they might not be custom enough for your definition.

You probably need to go onetime to the National Western Stock Show in Denver or the High Noon Old West Show & Auction in AZ. You can do a lot of shopping at either show.

Yahoody

One Too Many
Been to High Noon. What I was thinking of was a store you could walk into and buy a decent hat or a pair of boots. When i was a kid any town in ranch country with a decent population had a dry goods store you could buy either in. Might not be a lot of options but what they had would be high quality.

Yahoody

One Too Many
There are some of those around but that wouldn't be custom. Even if they sell the best handmade boots & hats from your favorite hatter, from stock they would have been made on standard lasts & to standard sizes.

Understood. Most of the stores selling "custom" boots are buying from the same jobbers with only the stores label "custom".. Custom to me means a guy takes your measurement and builds it for you.

Understood. Most of the stores selling "custom" boots are buying from the same jobbers with only the stores label "custom".. Custom to me means a guy takes your measurement and builds it for you.
Agreed. If you know which shows they attend like the Denver show, there will be custom bootmakers there to measure you up & take your order. Ritch Rand used to attend a few shows or his dealers would; not sure about O'Farrell or some of the other hatters. I believe the one from Jackson Hole did also. But that is a good way to shop even if you are undecided on what you want.

There used to be a promoter that put on 3 Native American Indian Market shows per yr: Kansas City, Dallas & Denver. Everything from artifacts, jewelry & artwork. Over many yrs it became nothing but tee shirts, cheap jewelry & velvet paintings. Kansas City was the first to be dropped then within a couple of yrs the other two discontinued also.

Yahoody

One Too Many
Ya, the show circuit is fun/interesting. And some good boot and hat makers do show up. But easier to just deal with them over the Internet and likely not much stock I'd be interested in. For that kind of thing the Elko Poetry gathering and the Big loop are as likely as good and better than most everything I have seen. Horse events cater to the style of horsemanship they represent. You might find Bill Black at the Nationals for NRCHA. But everything he'll bring along will be pretty stiff made for the reiners. 6 month wait for orders last I got one from him.

Back to the reason I asked about brick and mortar stores.

Saddle shops are likely suspects. But even a place like Capriola's or Miles City Saddlery aren't any thing like the Stock Yards in Ft Worth or OKC for choices in boots or hats....and the hat selection generally sucks :)

Portis
CIMG4522.JPG
CIMG4526.JPG
CIMG4528.JPG

But easier to just deal with them over the Internet
Not if you need to be measured. You're just going to have to travel to be measured for good boots. That's what I meant about going to the shows where they are going to be. You might be able to buy a good quality boot from either show stock or off the Internet, but it won't be custom fit. So we're back to the definition of custom again.

The days of shops like the original Morris Men's Shop are gone.

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

BB, I wish that Portis had been in my size!

really like the green. my next built will likely be that with black ribbon hat band.

Thanks, Yahhoody. It's the only thing in my wardrobe that's green, save for a pair of custom boots with green piping and a western shirt with a little bit. Thanks to prodding from @Hurricane Jack, I now have aat to wear on St. Patrick's day. I really like it but didn't think I would.

I know you do and now I'm glad it wasn't. Been meaning to ask, how's the arm? Can you pull your boots on yet?
My arm is ok but my hand isn't. It's still puffy & tight, sometimes more than other times. It burns off & on. That's my fret hand & I can't play guitar for crap now. But I am glad it's my left hand & not my right. The surgeon said there would be healing going on for 18 months. Now I believe him!

Yahoody

One Too Many
Bamaboots said:
... It's the only thing in my wardrobe that's green, save for a pair of custom boots with green piping and a western shirt......
Had a hat for 40+ yars in a similar color as yours. Never all that fond of the hat. Finally gave it away last year. By the look of my color chart yours would be "forrest green". I am thinking of doing mine in the next color over "moss". I got the white hair so I am wanting that last Woodrow look to go with it :cool:

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Had a hat for 40+ yars in a similar color as yours. Never all that fond of the hat. Finally gave it away last year. By the look of my color chart yours would be "forrest green". I am thinking of doing mine in the next color over "moss". I got the white hair so I am wanting that last Woodrow look to go with it :cool:

Greetings Yahoody et al:
Not a great fan of greens either. Post military aversion syndrome i guess. Ha This one would look fine with a copper/brown ribbon. Got red hair and Mom always said green was my color. Maybe she was right. I’d wear the hell outta it. My 2 cents.
And that Portis!
Be well. Bowen

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch