Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

The Carlsbad after a steam bath. In old advertisements from the early 1940's the color is called "Nutria Tan". This hat is very soft & I didn't worry too much about setting a crease because it now needs a new sweat. It got damp from the outside & hardened up when it dried.

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

The Carlsbad after a steam bath. In old advertisements from the early 1940's the color is called "Nutria Tan". This hat is very soft & I didn't worry too much about setting a crease because it now needs a new sweat. It got damp from the outside & hardened up when it dried.

View attachment 115546

View attachment 115545

View attachment 115547

View attachment 115548

Very nice! The worst part, for me, of replacing the sweat is losing all the markings and embossing on the original. But if ever a hat was worthy of refurbishment to get it wearable....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 115546

View attachment 115545

View attachment 115547

View attachment 115548

Other than the Sweat deteriorating how do you know if a sweat must be replaced ? I know if the reed is coming out there is trouble . That is a fine looking Carlsbad Jack . You'll get it right , I have no doubt at all .

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Can't believe I was once so reluctant to buy it.
Hey Bama: i think that green thing is a guy thing or a military thing. I was “reluctant” in 76’ after the military to buy a 73’ 455 SD Trans Am cause it was green. Big mistake!!
Your Green Hornet is probably more rare than the SD. Glad you got it.
Be well. Bowen
Ps: dynamite shirt as well.

Looks good. Sweat installation is not too hard.
I bought a couple of sweats from Scott a while back, but decided I’m probably not too good at sewing. Same with ribbon work.

Other than the Sweat deteriorating how do you know if a sweat must be replaced ?
I was careful not to hit it with steam but this one turned hard & brittle when it dried out.

I bought a couple of sweats from Scott a while back, but decided I’m probably not too good at sewing. Same with ribbon work.

I'm the same way, Jack. After sending a couple to Scott I bought some sweats from him and decided to give it a go. I use a stitch awl with a sewing machine needle and upholstery thread. Since then I've done about five including a couple hats I had to sew the sweats back in where the thread had rotted.

I was careful not to hit it with steam but this one turned hard & brittle when it dried out.

Had the same happen to me on a couple. One had a come apart after applying conditioner.

Hey Bama: i think that green thing is a guy thing or a military thing. I was “reluctant” in 76’ after the military to buy a 73’ 455 SD Trans Am cause it was green. Big mistake!!
Your Green Hornet is probably more rare than the SD. Glad you got it.
Be well. Bowen
Ps: dynamite shirt as well.

Thanks, Bowen. Just never was crazy about green. Maybe it was those green polyester bell bottoms I had back in the 70's. The shirt is one Pendleton's High Grade Western Wear wools. U. S. made. Something else I've got too many of.

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
Your brim curl looks great Scott! Much better than I ever achieved by hand. A few years ago I popped for the cast iron curling shackles from JW Hats. Not cheap at $300 for the set of three, but when you take one off the hotplate, put it to the brim, and hear that sizzle on the damp ironing cloth you just have to know it's doing the job it's supposed to do. I did my brim curls for a long time by hand with a length of plastic tubing with acceptable, but not stellar results. I'm just now finding some time to practice a bit with these irons and there is definitely a bit of a learning curve, but so far I am very pleased with the results.
View attachment 115393

That is one great looking curl!!!

~shoes~

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points