Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western Ranch Outfitters / Stockmens Catalogs

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
very interesting

a couple things stand out to me ...

"Luskey Roll Crease" ... never heard that one before

and the fact that the Open Road twenty topped out at 7 3/8 here

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The Trooper in this latest batch of ads (from 1940) is described as being "light as a feather and wears like a pig's nose" (italics mine). Now that brings up a LOT of questions. For instance:

1) How does Stetson, or the store, know what a pig's nose "wears like"? Do they have depositions on file from former customers who wear pigs' noses on a regular basis? Did said customers choose pigs' noses over standard headgear, like fedoras, beanies, and baseball caps?

2) Why stop at the pig's nose? There is a considerable amount of a pig, even a small one, which could be adapted for occasional or even frequent wear. (Such a list I will leave as an exercise for the student.) Which leads to . . .

3) What did Stetson do with the rest of the pig? I presume they didn't just lop off the porker's snout and leave him to go his less-than-merry way; and any self-respecting member of the Suidae is not going to take kindly to mutilation. No doubt it was a fight to the death -- in this case, the pig's. So what happened to the rest of the pig? Bacon, ham, watch straps, footballs . . .?

The Trooper in this latest batch of ads (from 1940) is described as being "light as a feather and wears like a pig's nose" (italics mine). Now that brings up a LOT of questions. For instance:

1) How does Stetson, or the store, know what a pig's nose "wears like"? Do they have depositions on file from former customers who wear pigs' noses on a regular basis? Did said customers choose pigs' noses over standard headgear, like fedoras, beanies, and baseball caps?

2) Why stop at the pig's nose? There is a considerable amount of a pig, even a small one, which could be adapted for occasional or even frequent wear. (Such a list I will leave as an exercise for the student.) Which leads to . . .

3) What did Stetson do with the rest of the pig? I presume they didn't just lop off the porker's snout and leave him to go his less-than-merry way; and any self-respecting member of the Suidae is not going to take kindly to mutilation. No doubt it was a fight to the death -- in this case, the pig's. So what happened to the rest of the pig? Bacon, ham, watch straps, footballs . . .?

Well, I just beGoogled the phrase on these here intertubes and it appears to mean they're tough and will wear for a long time. I'd never heard that before, but now it'll be part of my regular speech!

You can get overalls to match.

5698e828cf875d5e4ca04247345098ac.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Well, I just beGoogled the phrase on these here intertubes and it appears to mean they're tough and will wear for a long time. I'd never heard that before, but now it'll be part of my regular speech!
Oh -- "wears" as in "takes wear and is tough." I can see that. Pigs do a lot with their snouts.

(My interpretation's more fun, though.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points