Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What A Girl Scout Knew In 1923

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The 1923 Girl Scout Law:

1. A Girl Scout's Honor Is To Be Trusted.
2. A Girl Scout Is Loyal.
3. A Girl Scout's Duty Is To Be Useful And To Help Others.
4. A Girl Scout Is A Friend To All, And A Sister To Every Other Girl Scout.
5. A Girl Scout Is Courteous.
6. A Girl Scout Is A Friend To Animals.
7. A Girl Scout Obeys Orders.
8. A Girl Scout Is Cheerful.
9. A Girl Scout Is Thrifty.
10. A Girl Scout Is Clean In Thought, Word, and Deed.

That's pretty much exactly the same as it was when I was in in the early '70s. I remember some kids had trouble with #7, and our leader used to say "The girl who can't obey orders will never be qualified to give them." And looking thru the 1923 manual, I see something very similar: "The girl or woman who cannot obey can never *govern.*"

Remember that this is only three years after women got the right to vote, and the Girl Scouts are preparing girls to *govern.* Pretty darn feminist stuff, I'd say.

In our town, the Boy Scouts were sponsored by the Congregationalists and the Girl Scouts by the Methodists, but that basically meant only that we used the church hall for our meetings. There was never any explicit religious influence that I can remember -- and there isn't any in the 1923 book, either.

I still carry my Girl Scout knife. It's saved my bacon at work on more than one occasion.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was in 4-H. My father disagreed with single sex education and programs, and his mother had been a 4-H leader.

I have my grandmother's 1941 4-H leader pin. I really, really liked 4-H and would be a leader right now if I had the space or the time.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I was never in the Brownies or Girl Scouts, but I could do: 1, 6, 7, 8 by age 11. Dare I admit that at 47, I can only add 9 and the swimming/rope climb to the list? Maybe #1, depending on how 'simple' is defined - I live in a dense urban area.

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
The US Girl Scouts are actually a much more progressive organization than the US Boy Scouts, I think it always has been. I think that's pretty amazing, I just wish some of that life-affirming, self-assuring quality still existed in girl scouting today. I think too much of it has been lost to "modern times".

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I was in 4-H. My father disagreed with single sex education and programs, and his mother had been a 4-H leader.

I have my grandmother's 1941 4-H leader pin. I really, really liked 4-H and would be a leader right now if I had the space or the time.

Yeah, 4-Hers represent! I was in our local horse club all through elementary and middle school, and some of my best childhood memories come from 4-H events.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Picture11.png

Grabbed this picture online a while ago. Seems to fit here :)
I want some Girl Scout cloth!

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Look for some heavy, mottled grey-green cotton broadcloth, which would be pretty close to what was actually used.

728-D-1928%20Girl%20Scout%20Uniform%20%281%29_10.JPG

And then of course you'll need to track down the Official Buttons...

I remember when I was a Scout that they offered what they called a "Make-Up Kit." This had nothing to do with cosmetics -- it was a complete package for making your own uniform, including the pattern, the fabric, and the trimmings. I'm ashamed to say I didn't take advantage of this option -- I wore my cousin's hand-me-down uniforms instead.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Interesting. My Mother was in the Girls Brigade and my Uncles in the Boys Brigade in NZ in the 1950s and she was from a *strictly* Presbytarian (Reformed Scottish Church for our American friends) family. They would NEVER have gone if it was run by Catholics! Infact, I seem to remember she said it might have been something to do with the Methodists. I will have to ask her.

*Edit* I don't know about the US, but in Australia, Brownies, Girl Guides & Scouts were mostly children of Anglican (Episcopalian) & Baptist faith. The Catholic kids went to the Boys & Girls Brigade.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Interesting. My Mother was in the Girls Brigade and my Uncles in the Boys Brigade in NZ in the 1950s and she was from a *strictly* Presbytarian (Reformed Scottish Church for our American friends) family. They would NEVER have gone if it was run by Catholics! Infact, I seem to remember she said it might have been something to do with the Methodists. I will have to ask her.

It was just an observation on my part. I had a quick look at the GB website & can only find the following
What is Girls' Brigade?
"The Girls' Brigade is a world wide Christian organisation of girls and women which was established in Ireland over 100 years ago. It has since spread to more than 50 countries and is still growing."

rue

As far as I know, you take the mattress outside and let it sit in the sun. If that's not possible you take all the coverings off and open the windows, which is what I do.

Oops... Puzzicato, you beat me to it :)

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Of course, a proper Scout always sleeps with her window open, so the work is already halfway done.

We used to haul our mattresses out on the porch once a year and beat them with a baseball bat. That took care of anything that might be lurking inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider