Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about this cold war film used as a teaching tool ?

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
I have a pretty good collection of war movies and one of my favorites is THE BEDFORD INCIDENT ( B&W 1965 )

My uncle, a retired NAVY Commander and former destroyer skipper, ( USS GEARING DD 710 ) was telling me once that the Navy used this film on occasion as an officers conduct training tool. If you saw the film, you will recall that the CO ( Richard Widmark ) was an obnoxious ass and dictator on this fictional destroyer ( USS Bedford ) during the cold war in the North Atlantic.

I really love this old black & white film and was wondering if anybody ever heard of this movie being used as an officers training tool.

Any other film comments welcome from the members as well.

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW ! thanks

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I understood that it was considered one of a trilogy of end-of-the-world films in '64-'65, along with Fail-Safe and Dr. Strangelove. Not a trilogy in the Lord of the Rings sense, no; no one filmmaker made all 3. But that they all came out in the same 12-month period, and not long after the Cuban Missile Crisis/JFK assassination, that's interesting.

Look for the young James Macarthur, "Dan-O" of Hawaii Five-O, in a featured role.

Edward

Bartender
Strangelove remains as good now as it must have been when it was first released. Such an influential film, too (for one, it's pretty clear that Dr Everett Von Scott in the Rocky Horror Picture Show - and in the stage show before it, but more obviously so in the film - was based on Doctor Strangelove himself....).

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
LOL ! Every time I hear that song ' well meet again, dont know where, dont know when ( Vera Miles ? ) I think of the Dr Strangelove film.

Glad somebody commented on the film. I noticed a few flaws in the movie. In the opening scenes where the helicopter is circling the ship, that vessel didnt look like a US tin can. It looked like it was a British type. Second, if there was a technical advisor on the film staff, I wonder why the script called for the CO in a very casual dress and the rest of the crew were dressed in their class A's. I wasnt a NAVY guy but did the crew have to always dress up in their blues in real life ?

I know this is movie stuff but, I did like the part where the Russian translator was on the hydrophone giving the COs ultimatum in that underwater speech. I think they can really do that in real life.

Same question though, the film depicts the commanding officer as a real AH ! Can ships skippers really do that or can this show up on a fitness report that could get you in real trouble in real life ? What happens when a vessels captain ( or any other officer ) gets too many complaints about harassment and conduct unbecoming from staff and or crew ?

AdeeC

Practically Family
LOL ! Every time I hear that song ' well meet again, dont know where, dont know when ( Vera Miles ? ) I think of the Dr Strangelove film.

Glad somebody commented on the film. I noticed a few flaws in the movie. In the opening scenes where the helicopter is circling the ship, that vessel didnt look like a US tin can. It looked like it was a British type. Second, if there was a technical advisor on the film staff, I wonder why the script called for the CO in a very casual dress and the rest of the crew were dressed in their class A's. I wasnt a NAVY guy but did the crew have to always dress up in their blues in real life ?

I know this is movie stuff but, I did like the part where the Russian translator was on the hydrophone giving the COs ultimatum in that underwater speech. I think they can really do that in real life.

Same question though, the film depicts the commanding officer as a real AH ! Can ships skippers really do that or can this show up on a fitness report that could get you in real trouble in real life ? What happens when a vessels captain ( or any other officer ) gets too many complaints about harassment and conduct unbecoming from staff and or crew ?

I understand the US military refused to co-operate with these apocalyptic nuclear disaster films and stand in hardware had to be found. Dr STRANGELOVE was also a British production. The American production ON THE BEACH also had to use Australian warships and submarines to stand in for the US Navy because of its Doomsday scenario.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ