Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the chances of me finding a stray Buco label..?

lina

Practically Family
I mentioned earlier that I am planning to reline a jacket -- a Lost Worlds Buco rider -- and it occurs to me it would be cool to get a vintage/repro Buco label to attach to the new lining. Any ideas on how to find one?

Though actually I'd be open to other sorts of interesting labels, if anyone has an idea...
Thanks.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Off the top of my head Aero, Diamond Dave and RMC all put repo Buco labels in their jackets, maybe one of them will sell you one?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I mentioned earlier that I am planning to reline a jacket -- a Lost Worlds Buco rider -- and it occurs to me it would be cool to get a vintage/repro Buco label to attach to the new lining. Any ideas on how to find one?

Though actually I'd be open to other sorts of interesting labels, if anyone has an idea...
Thanks.
I don't like the idea. The labels mean something, and if someone wanted to fraudulently misrepresent a fake item as real, one thing they'd do is take a label from a damaged or otherwise undesirable jacket and use it in a reproduction.

I'm not saying that you are intending to do that, but labels should stick with their original garment. Please.

lina

Practically Family
I don't like the idea. The labels mean something, and if someone wanted to fraudulently misrepresent a fake item as real, one thing they'd do is take a label from a damaged or otherwise undesirable jacket and use it in a reproduction.

I'm not saying that you are intending to do that, but labels should stick with their original garment. Please.

I hear you, I wondered about that myself, but as Proteinnerd notes above, makers are using repro labels all over the place. I don't know if anyone is trying to pass them off as real, but in most cases at least it should be obvious.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
One thing I am going to do before I die is, have a Hawaiian shirt sewn into a leather jacket, for the lining, complete with it's label. I think it would be a fun mystery to some one in the future that gets my jacket! ;)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Unfortunately some 'collectors' are so obsessed with total authentic originality in a reproduction. They want genuine WWII zips in their jackets, exact matching contract labels, I guess even WWII cotton thread if it was an option and thats just A2s and B3s. Personally I can't see a problem restoring a jacket using this approach, only if misrepresenting something that is not what it is advertised as.
I like a label, especially if it is original but i'll be damed if I will take the garment off just to show an enthusiast a label just so they can satisfy their curiosity.
You could possibly get one from China, they make anything and many take no notice of copyright. No offence intended to Chinese members but it's the truth. Check this link for some unsanctioned stuff ( Bages and labels )I would not like to be in your motorcycle boots if caught wearing this stuff :eek:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
If it is a Lost World repro, can you actually contact Lost World to see if they can do a favour for you?

If the jacket is indeed a Buco repro, sticking in another label sounds reasonable to me. It is just a matter or principle. If you are patient enough, some original labels taken from old jackets will popup on ebay.

lina

Practically Family
RMC licenses the Buco name.

Interesting -- if Buco is kaput as a company, I wonder who they license from? Also, Aero puts Buco labels in some of their board racers -- wonder if they are licensing? And what about all those Hercules and Californians..? It all seems pretty loose, copyright-wise..

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Interesting -- if Buco is kaput as a company, I wonder who they license from? Also, Aero puts Buco labels in some of their board racers -- wonder if they are licensing? And what about all those Hercules and Californians..? It all seems pretty loose, copyright-wise..

It may be a regional thing, RM may have the Buco name registered in Japan and some selected countries, but there always loopholes that other people can exploit. Aero only put Buco labels on their jackets sold to Thurston Bros, they certainly do not sell any Buco labelled jackets here in the UK, even on special requests.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting -- if Buco is kaput as a company, I wonder who they license from?

It is very common for companies to purchase the intellectual property rights of bankrupt/defunct companies. I do not know who currently owns the Buco trademark.

And what about all those Hercules and Californians..?

If a company ceases using its trademark for a period of time, the trademark expires and can thereafter be freely used by others. I believe the Hercules and Californian trademarks simply expired through lack of use and are now fair game for anyone.

Here is a prior, detailed thread on the subject of repro labels: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/repro-labels.78591/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana