Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you snacking on?

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
After having this German Black Forest Cherry Cake (Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte) for desert last night, it will now become a snacking option for the next few days.

And cross posted from he dessert thread, my small kirsch story:

N.B., I had to buy Kirsch cherry brandy (see below) for the recipe and, while I knew I was buying brandy, for some reason I was thinking it would be a liqueur - which I should have been disabused of when I paid 44 bucks for the bottle. As super girlfriend was baking, I decided to try to the liqueur and poured a good-sized shot for myself - again thinking "liqueur" and that it would be sweet and not that "boozy." Well, I won't make that mistake again. It's a 90 proof brandy, not sweet at all and it took a layer of my throat off on the way down in one long burn.

If you carry on like this you'll need a new wardrobe.

After having this German Black Forest Cherry Cake (Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte) for desert last night, it will now become a snacking option for the next few days.

And cross posted from he dessert thread, my small kirsch story:

N.B., I had to buy Kirsch cherry brandy (see below) for the recipe and, while I knew I was buying brandy, for some reason I was thinking it would be a liqueur - which I should have been disabused of when I paid 44 bucks for the bottle. As super girlfriend was baking, I decided to try to the liqueur and poured a good-sized shot for myself - again thinking "liqueur" and that it would be sweet and not that "boozy." Well, I won't make that mistake again. It's a 90 proof brandy, not sweet at all and it took a layer of my throat off on the way down in one long burn.

It does not look like it will last that long.
:D

It does not look like it will last that long.

If you carry on like this you'll need a new wardrobe.

My response to both of your reasonable comments is kinda the same, we tend to give half or more of most of the things super girlfriend bakes to our neighbors and other friends as the two of us could never eat all of it. Two big pieces of the black forest cake went out to NJ to a friend of my girlfriend for her and her father (who is a big fan of SGF's baking).

So while it looks like we consume this stupid crazy amount of sweets, we really don't (usually) eat that much. Also, I'm 6'1" and 150lbs - the exact same as the day I graduated college 32 years ago. I stay that way as I eat half or even less than half of what I did then, I work out at least twice as much and - despite the evidence here - I, overall, eat healthier foods than I did back then. So while I still have cake, cookies, beer, booze, bacon, french fries, etc. - for me, it's all about portion control as I eat half or less the quantity of those things that I did all those years ago.

On a sign-of-the-times note, I say I'm 6'1", but when I graduated college, I was almost 6'1.5" and now - having just had my annual physical last week - I am a true 6'1", so I've lost half an inch in just over thirty years :(.

My response to both of your reasonable comments is kinda the same, we tend to give half or more of most of the things super girlfriend bakes to our neighbors and other friends as the two of us could never eat all of it. Two big pieces of the black forest cake went out to NJ to a friend of my girlfriend for her and her father (who is a big fan of SGF's baking).

So while it looks like we consume this stupid crazy amount of sweets, we really don't (usually) eat that much. Also, I'm 6'1" and 150lbs - the exact same as the day I graduated college 32 years ago. I stay that way as I eat half or even less than half of what I did then, I work out at least twice as much and - despite the evidence here - I, overall, eat healthier foods than I did back then. So while I still have cake, cookies, beer, booze, bacon, french fries, etc. - for me, it's all about portion control as I eat half or less the quantity of those things that I did all those years ago.

On a sign-of-the-times note, I say I'm 6'1", but when I graduated college, I was almost 6'1.5" and now - having just had my annual physical last week - I am a true 6'1", so I've lost half an inch in just over thirty years :(.
Portion control and exercise are key to maintaining weight. I am 75 pounds heavier than I was in college, but I like the added weight. I could easily gain more as my desire to eat is great, but my desire to live is greater.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The store had pumpkin and cranberry flavored tortilla chips on sale so I gave them a whirl. They are pleasant but don't taste much of pumpkin or cranberries. But, they are less salty than regular tortilla chips and go well with salsa.

As we inch closer to Easter, more of this will be coming into the house:

Nothing tops the orange marshmallow pumpkin at Halloween, but all still good.

Does anyone remember when the Russell Stover's Easter Bunny (shown in the center below) used to also be decorated with some kind of white and other colored "icing." If memory serves, it even used to say, "decorated by hand" on the package. Now the poor bunny doesn't have all the fun élan the icing gave it. Still a good Easter treat though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff