Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you snacking on?

It is a pretty easy dessert to make. Mix the cream cheese and cool whip along with oranges, bananas or any other fruit until it’s a custard like consistency. Cool in the refrigerator and garnish as desired.

I never watched the Family Guy but that scene was funny.

Steven

Even funnier if you are familiar with the characters' personalities.

A panoply of Peeps:

IMG_4932.JPG

I get that the world can be divided into two camps: those who like Peeps and those who don't.

Clearly, I fall in the former. Hence, I was quite excited when I read about a new flavor - pancakes and syrup - but then distressed when I read further that they would only be release at Kroger stores (there are none in the city that I'm aware of). This prompted a call to super girlfriend's parents who went to a local Kroger's and sent me the above (SGF's parents are as awesome as SGF).

Hence, I can report out that the pancakes-and-syrup flavored ones are excellent - the flavor isn't "perfumey" or overwhelming as some of these attempts can be. While I didn't really get any pancake flavor (nor had I expected one), the Peep does have a nice maple flavor.

A panoply of Peeps:

View attachment 108906

I get that the world can be divided into two camps: those who like Peeps and those who don't.

Clearly, I fall in the former. Hence, I was quite excited when I read about a new flavor - pancakes and syrup - but then distressed when I read further that they would only be release at Kroger stores (there are none in the city that I'm aware of). This prompted a call to super girlfriend's parents who went to a local Kroger's and sent me the above (SGF's parents are as awesome as SGF).

Hence, I can report out that the pancakes-and-syrup flavored ones are excellent - the flavor isn't "perfumey" or overwhelming as some of these attempts can be. While I didn't really get any pancake flavor (nor had I expected one), the Peep does have a nice maple flavor.
Awesome! I too am a fan of Peeps. I need to get to a Kroger and pick up a pack of those delicious looking chicks! Thanks for the report.

By the way, there is a Peep brand store here in the area. It is just as fantastic as you think it would be.

eb34c049b20da243c051d52f4ca41116.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Awesome! I too am a fan of Peeps. I need to get to a Kroger and pick up a pack of those delicious looking chicks! Thanks for the report.

By the way, there is a Peep brand store here in the area. It is just as fantastic as you think it would be.

eb34c049b20da243c051d52f4ca41116.jpg

A Peeps store - you guys are very luck. That's getting pretty close to heaven on earth.

Also, love the Peeps mobile out front, but the next level up is to change the VW's bodywork to look like a Peeps on wheels.

Again, Im blown away! It's probably a good thing I don't live with y'all, or I would weigh 500 pounds :D

The Irish soda bread is fantastic - IMHO, better than the many, many, many bakery versions I've tried over many, many, many years, but the chocolate almond cake was disappointing as it was a bit dry and lacked any real flavor punch - we've deep-sixed that recipe (it was a first-time try).

Teaser: SGF is working on her second St Patrick's Day item - Irish Soda bread (see above) was the first. This new one incorporates both Baileys and Jameson - as SGF said, "it's time to bring out the big guns." Pictures and full description coming by tomorrow.

Last edited:
Holy shamrocks FF!! That looks fantastic!

As Dairy Queen used to tout, "Scrumpdillylicious"!

Thank you. It is crazy good. The chocolate cake stands on its own - moist, rich dark-chocolate flavor, but it goes to another level with the mousse filling and, then, the punch of the booze-infused buttercream. This has quickly risen into the top-five of SGF's layer cakes.

The latest from and as described by SGG (made for the birthday of a friend whose drink is a Manhattan):

Note from FF: This is the "test" cake she made as we didn't want to give a gift of a completely new and improvised recipe without tasting it - plus I really, really wanted to try it :).

SGF's Description: Based on a classic Bourbon Manhattan cocktail. Freeze-dried cherries and orange zest in a white cake batter, filled with a boozey mousse with chunky chopped bourbon-macerated maraschino cherries and frosted with a buttercream made with Maker's Mark bourbon, sweet vermouth, whiskey barrel aged bitters, orange zest and cherry juice.

IMG_4997.JPG IMG_5014.JPG

The latest from and as described by SGG (made for the birthday of a friend whose drink is a Manhattan):

Note from FF: This is the "test" cake she made as we didn't want to give a gift of a completely new and improvised recipe without tasting it - plus I really, really wanted to try it :).

SGF's Description: Based on a classic Bourbon Manhattan cocktail. Freeze-dried cherries and orange zest in a white cake batter, filled with a boozey mousse with chunky chopped bourbon-macerated maraschino cherries and frosted with a buttercream made with Maker's Mark bourbon, sweet vermouth, whiskey barrel aged bitters, orange zest and cherry juice.

View attachment 111729 View attachment 111730
Wow! That looks like a work of art! And delicious, too. How was it? Inquiring minds...

Also, Im sending you my address. Perhaps you and SGF need another opinion on her test runs :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Wow! That looks like a work of art! And delicious, too. How was it? Inquiring minds...

Also, Im sending you my address. Perhaps you and SGF need another opinion on her test runs :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

I was quite excited when she said there'd be a test cake. A lot of times, she makes something for family or friends that she's made before, so there's no test sample, which means that, after having to hear and smell all the baking activities, there's nothing for moi :( - it can be a bit of a letdown.

As to the Manhattan cake - it was outstanding. But to be honest, it didn't really evoke, for me, a Manhattan, just a generally boozy flavor with a maraschino cherry accent.

The icing was nice - rich but not thick or heavy as buttercream sometime can be and the cake had good texture, not dry, but also not as moist as most of her layer cakes are. The real star was the filling of boozy mousse with chunky chopped bourbon-macerated maraschino cherries as it had a light texture with a robust booze and maraschino cherry flavor.

What I think really helped was the use of these two - one bringing the maraschino flavor and the other the bourbon (not that plenty of Maker's Mark wasn't also used - love that wax seal they use, yup, it's a gimmick, but I like it):

517BuYGXW+L.jpg

The next time she makes it, she's going to cut the cake to create more layers for the mousse filling (hence, there'll be three layers of mousse not one) for the same reason Frazier used his left hook so often - play to your strengths. And, yes, I've been enjoying the extra cherries straight from the jars :).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21