Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you snacking on?

Super Girl Friend baked up some of these puppies today - canele's - it's kind of a cross between a small cake and a English pudding in that the center is custard like (think bread pudding, but with a lighter touch) and the outside is a touch crunchy (from being caramelized) which makes for an incredible contrast with the soft center:

Those caneles look incredible. Am I to assume that they are essentially bite sized?

For a normal person, two bites; for someone (not pointing fingers at myself or anything) who's hungry and apparently was raised in the wild, one gigantic bite (where your cheeks puffed out a bit - not that I'd know, of course).

If it helps for scale, that is a appetizer not dinner plate they are on.

There is a local candy shop nearby whose owners are really into candy, but not in a too-precious artisan this, bean-to-bar that, hipster over-the-top way. They just love good candy, source good brands and enjoy their customers.

They asked one of their suppliers to make an "egg cream" chocolate covered marshmallow to echo the classic NYC egg cream drink of milk, seltzer and chocolate syrup. What they came up with is a marshmallow with U-Bet syrup-mixed-in center, a dark chocolate shell and a pretzel drizzled with white, milk and dark chocolate on top (as egg creams are often sold with a pretzel on the side).

This could either have been a hot mess or a home run; fortunately, they hit a home run. I cut into it below so that you could see the marshmallow - U-Bet combo.

All the evidence in the photos below is now gone.

A Guinness.

Just want to point out again, that try as I have, super girlfriend will not allow me to define alcoholic beverages of any kind as a "snack."

I have even shown her several posts like yours in the past which has been met with, "if your friends jump off a bridge..." dismissal. :(

I even thought I had a shot this holiday season when I put just a little booze in a glass of eggnog (as eggnog is allowed under the snack rubric), but, alas, despite my pleas, it was met with a "there's alcohol in it, so it's a drink, not a snack - you're having a drink, period."

Super girlfriend is not easily swayed on this topic.*

* And she has nothing against drinking (we do it regularly), but she is opposed to redefining it euphemistically. It is what it is.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
"there's alcohol in it, so it's a drink, not a snack - you're having a drink, period."

A Guinness though is a loaf of dark bread in a glass. It is full of iron, and was prescribed to pregnant women at one time.

It is more than a snack - it is a liquid meal.

Your GF will come around. If rum-free egg nog, which has the consistency of phlegm, is a snack, then stout can be a snack as its alcohol level is quite low.

Super girlfriend went with an old German recipe (with a nod to Trenchfriend) and made this Kranzkuchen (Almond Cream Wreath) - which is currently cooling and will be dessert tonight (and snacking material for several days to come).

As part of the Fading Fast's wild-and-crazy New Year's Eve celebration*, super girlfriend baked up these Parker House rolls with cheddar cheese and Old Bay Seasoning. Since this is a first try of these for us, I am already counting the minutes until they cool down enough to be edible.

* The craziness includes just the two of us watching old-movies recorded from TCM, a shared bottle of champagne (we did splurge and got real champagne), a few different SGF-made snacks (as shown above), phone calls to her parents and my mom wishing them a good New Year and super girlfriend falling asleep on sofa during one of the aforementioned TCM movies several hours before New Years, at which point, I'll gently wake her and we'll both go to bed early and ring in the New Years quite asleep. Yup, hope the neighbors don't call the police on us.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto