Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Edward

Bartender
cool blazer! does it have a story?

Thanks, no - just a twenty quid special from Epic Militaria online.... I had an identical one about seventeen years ago, used to wear it a lot in warmer months as a casual jacket. Went looking for one the same when I decided what I wanted to wear at the Olympiad this year, and turned it up on their website. They're selling them as WW2 Kriegsmarine officers' tunics, though I suspect (especially given the price) that they're post-war surplus stock, as, at least based on my experience of handling German military surplus over the last thirty years, there was really very little change to most (West) German military uniforms after the war, bar the obvious dropping of the Stahlhelm and the badging of the Nazi era. If you're interested in a six on three navy blazer with a period cut, it's unbeatable for the money. I like the yachting feel of the brass buttons, but those could be easily switched out if you prefer.

Metatron

One Too Many
wow, great tip. I had seen some Italian navy ones online as well, but these Kriegsmarine ones have the advantage of a breast pocket.
You've 'civilianised' it very succesfully in your outfit. Though I'm sure most think of the 6x3 as a strictly nautical, and mod look, this type of cut is quite abundant in the Romanian 1930s photo archive.

Edward

Bartender
wow, great tip. I had seen some Italian navy ones online as well, but these Kriegsmarine ones have the advantage of a breast pocket.
You've 'civilianised' it very succesfully in your outfit. Though I'm sure most think of the 6x3 as a strictly nautical, and mod look, this type of cut is quite abundant in the Romanian 1930s photo archive.

Thanks - yes, the breast pocket gives it just that touch less of a 'uniform' feel. Used to have (well... stills hanging in my bedroom, but it's been carpet-beetled.....) a Marksies 6 on 2 DB blazer. Looked nice enough, but this is superior in quality, imo. Funniyl enoug,h I did think that if you switched the buttons out for navy plastic ones, it could have a bit of a mod vibe. Not especially my thing, but worth bering in mind for anyone who's into the Sixties bit.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Here I am wearing my new (old) bow tie from the 1950s or 1960s. I got it today at the indoor flea market. It seems there is always a good find in there! :D

The belt is from Goodwill. I also got it today. Unfortunately I didn't polish the buckle before the picture. I just polished it a few minutes ago with some Noxon 7. Noxon 7 works like a charm on nasty tarnished brass!

TXrG1xI.jpg

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
For the last two days, I have been going to thrift stores all around. I found this wonderful Robert Hall sport coat from the 50s or 60s at a consignment shop (most of the union label is cut off. I see that it has the red type, but I can't see if it has the trademark logo.) The tie is from the flea store (I found tons of these square bottom ties there yesterday, the one you see me wearing is my favorite of the bunch.)

hrcv5IB.jpg

7nkt1GC.jpg

^^^ Great find.

Growing up on the late '60s / early '70s, my one "nice" sport coat and pair of pants every year or so (depending on how fast I grew) - for weddings, funerals, etc.(when people still dressed their kids for events like this) - came from Robert Hall. Not knowing the term then, but thinking about it in retrospect, the store was a blend of a down-market department store and warehouse store. For me, that and the Army-Navy store were where most of my clothes came from growing up.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
^^^ Great find.

Growing up on the late '60s / early '70s, my one "nice" sport coat and pair of pants every year or so (depending on how fast I grew) - for weddings, funerals, etc.(when people still dressed their kids for events like this) - came from Robert Hall. Not knowing the term then, but thinking about it in retrospect, the store was a blend of a down-market department store and warehouse store. For me, that and the Army-Navy store were where most of my clothes came from growing up.
Thanks! :D

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Don't much like changing clothes between the afternoon and evening, but today mandated it - had a fundraiser my wife helped organize to attend, and a Palm Beach suit wasn't going to make friends. Second suit is a new-to-me favorite - British as you can get - drape, extended but soft shoulders, the most elegantly sculpted lapel I've ever seen, and turn-back cuffs on the sleeves of the coat. The beaded stripe is subtle, but perfectly compliments a dressy woven silk tie like a macclesfield, or in my case this evening, a 60's houndstooth jacquard wedding tie from Brooks Brothers.

2EycIvYh.jpg

uEJ6wILh.jpg

Heathfox

New in Town
Since everyone is wearing white... Not today, but day before yesterday (guess it still counts): We're visiting my mum in Germany at the moment, and we took her for a birthday outing to Eltville on the Rhine (well worth a visit if slightly touristy). The restaurants were all packed unfortunately, but we had a little stroll along the river. The photo is not that good, but the better ones are with my best girl, and I'm not posting her ;)

The contemporary sandals are of course a minor style crime, it's just that they are what I can walk best in in hot weather.

P1050852_2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points