Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your favorite T.V. theme songs?

This may be hard for those of you brought up on 24/7 sports channels, but oh how I could not wait for the weekend to get here, so I could get my fix of racing! I also watched sports I never would have seen with out WWOS. Louge, polo and even Sumo Wrestling, all outside my comfort zone, it was great! [video=youtube;Fi69utdvDcA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi69utdvDcA[/video]
Jim McKay:"Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety in sports". Went on about the agony of defeat, showing an Olympic ski jumper wiping out. Remember it well. Loved it and as you, looked forward to it. Remember them showing tiger hunts as well as a polar bear hunt with archer Fred Bear. Not the kind of hunts I would be interested in today but it was fascinating stuff at the time. And about the only place racing could be found.

Never was a big sports fan but I remember the program coming on before I changed the channel. :p
Yep, watched it just long enough to see the skier lose it, then I was off to just about anything else that was on another channel. lol

Veering back towards the primary topic with a couple of more recent favorites:

[video=youtube;QhGMGjs3DSs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhGMGjs3DSs[/video]

And the full version of this one, 'cuz I couldn't find a decent clip of the shorter version used during the show's intro/titles segment:

Hell On Wheels

Jim McKay:"Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety in sports". Went on about the agony of defeat, showing an Olympic ski jumper wiping out. Remember it well. Loved it and as you, looked forward to it. Remember them showing tiger hunts as well as a polar bear hunt with archer Fred Bear. Not the kind of hunts I would be interested in today but it was fascinating stuff at the time. And about the only place racing could be found.

I wonder whatever happened to Mr Agony of Defeat? :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Really, I'd wait around to see if the sport caught my interest - some were fantastic, others not so much, but it definitely expanded ones sports knowledge.

By the 70s, kids attention span went way down, shame, they miss so much! It's always good to get out of your comfort zone. that's gone with 24/7 TV!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Won't You Be My Neighbor?" from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. And his closing theme, "Tomorrow" is another favorite. These tunes, as played live on the set every day by Johnny Costa -- one of the most gifted jazz pianists of the sixties -- gave me a lifelong love for piano jazz. The closing of the program was especially memorable, because Costa never played "Tomorrow" the same way twice -- every performance was full of swinging improvisations that I picked up on even as a small child. This may have been the most uncompromisingly grown-up music ever performed on a childrens' program.

I am known to sing "Tomorrow" to the kids at work when leaving each night. They've learned to humor me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana